Leather wheel cover

Howard

Aug 25, 2015, 2:54:31 AM8/25/15
to Benetea...@googlegroups.com
Ahoy....After 17 years, the leather seam that attaches both ends has failed and are now about 1/8" apart.  For clarification...this is NOT the continuous seam around the wheel.  Just where the 2 ends meet.
Any recommendations as to how I might be successful to snug the ends back together using heat or cold devices....or some other "old trade secret"...
Had the seam be at the top center, I would have covered the gap with a turks head knot.  Unfortunately, the seam is between 1 & 2.  I don't think the standard Beneteau wheel can be adjusted to make it top center?....or can it???
If I can't snug the ends together, I will probably seal the gap with some kind of black sealant.
Any old trade secret ideas out there???
....Howard Rosenberg
Encore #10
Marina del Rey, Los Angeles

Sent from a real computer!

Howell Cooper

Aug 25, 2015, 9:20:51 AM8/25/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Howard, great question!  Mine has been unraveling for some time and I have re stitched the cover in several places.  I have yet to determine a way to sew the ends except to remove the entire cover and stitch the ends then lace the cover back on the wheel.  As to getting a spoke to be top dead center, that is a question of adjusting the cable attachment on the quadrant.  I do not think it possible to do any other spoke other than the one already near the top.

Cooper
Why Knot #24
Port Aransas, Texas

Sent from Coopers' galactic communicator
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1108** members and growing.

Mark J Wilme

Aug 25, 2015, 10:05:44 AM8/25/15
to beneteau-owners
Ours also fell apart. I used the old one to make chafffe guards and we put a new cover on there - I sewed it up at home over the winter, not the tidiest of jobs but it works, nice material though, the issue is my stitching.

However we did have another boat for a while and we put a vinyl cover on that wheel - if I had to do it again I would go that route, I was very happy with the product.  Here is the info : http://www.colorwheelz.com/

I have the owners contact info if anyone has an issue engaging with them

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

Captain Guy

Aug 25, 2015, 11:19:05 AM8/25/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
IF you really want to use the current cover, it can be saved unless it is rotten and shredded.

Remove wheel

Cut most of lateral stitching (leave some to hold onto wheel) and all end stitching

Soak in water for a few days

Use a hose clamp to secure one end and work on stretching; use another hose clamp to hold work as you progress

After a many tugs, the ends should meet get a slight overlap and clamp

Allow wheel to dry

Get black shoe dye and completely cover till uniformly black

then use black shoe wax and deeply wax it

then buff the hell out of it (otherwise you’ll get black hands later)

Now re-stitch with good grade nylon thread

After 17 years, my wheel still looks good... course, I have a wheel cover which I use in winter months (too lazy to put on after every sail)

guy

Stewart Richardson

Aug 25, 2015, 1:28:28 PM8/25/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

You could just replace the whole cover using the kits from these guys, http://boatleather.com/. Relatively easy to do takes about 2 hours and looks awesome plus installing the foam base layer beneath the canvas increases the diameter of the wheel so it feels more robust and insulates if from the cold.

Regards

Stewart Richardson