burnt connections on AC dist. panel and green corrosion

Mike F

Jan 4, 2017, 7:28:10 PM1/4/17
to Beneteau Owners
Sorry for my lack of proper terms/inexperience, I am waiting on an electrician service call but concerned about the root cause(s) here.

Was gone on xmas break and had my AC on with the battery charger and outlet breakers on. Only real load on outlets was a dehumidifier set at a high humidity (60%+), which does not cycle much and does not trip the breaker ever.

Returned and none of the breakers had been tripped (AC main, battery charger, outlets), *but* had no AC power. Removing the AC panel found that one or more connections on the neutral bar burnt up. Main issue looks to be where the 10 AWG white (neutral) line from shore through a main breaker is connected to the neutral bar.

As none of the breakers were tripped, and due to where the connection failed, I assume I got some high resistance on that connection(s) to the neutral bar. Further, there is the green corrosion visible in the picture. I intend to make a new 10 AWG connection cable, and redo any other damaged connections, but wanted advice on if this is OK, or there is something more going on, causing these connections to fail.

On another note, which may or may not be related-
I have had two connections *on* my AC hot water heater itself flame up and die in seemingly similar fashion (but no green corrosion was visible). One fried, then I replaced it with a new one, including a thermostat/ECO switch. Then a different one fried a month later. Also replaced and now seems fine. That is on a 15 AMP breaker and did not throw the breaker, so I assume it was a bad connection with high resistance... what I am now assuming on the AC distribution panel itself. But this is a 2006 build Beneteau 393 (all original wiring as far as I can tell).

Thanks for any advice, and I will try to answer any questions as able.

-Mike

AC neutral failure.JPG

UWE Mewes

Jan 5, 2017, 7:27:16 AM1/5/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com, Mike F
In most cases damage like that is due to a loose connection. It could be the screw or the crimp. A loose connection causes arcing which generates heat and so on. This is how fires start. Connections can become loose over time due to vibration.
Corrosion can cause the same effect due to either corrosive environment or none compatible metals! Clean up the bar and make sure you use marine grade wire and crimp connectors. Using star washers will assist maintaining a tight connection. Stay away from automotive stuff.
Let us know what your electrician says.

- Uwe

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

evanst...@yahoo.com

Jan 5, 2017, 12:43:48 PM1/5/17

Subject: Re: {Beneteau Owners} burnt connections on AC dist. panel and green corrosion
To: benetea...@googlegroups.com, "Mike F" <micha...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, January 5, 2017, 2:27 PM
As none of the breakers were
tripped, and due to where the connection failed, I assume I
got some high resistance on that connection(s) to the
neutral bar. Further, there is the green corrosion visible
in the picture. I intend to make a new 10 AWG connection
cable, and redo any other damaged connections, but wanted
advice on if this is OK, or there is something more going
on, causing these connections to fail.
On another note, which may or may
not be related-I have had two connections *on* my
a 4 septembrie 1940 orele 12 Ion Antonescu a fost insarcinat de regele Carol al II cu formarea noului guvern. in ziua urmatoare acesta a suspendat

Mohammad Bayegan

Jan 5, 2017, 4:43:07 PM1/5/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely all connection has to be tight, a spray coat of dielectric spray or gel would be very helpful as well
MARENGO,  B 49