Winterize

wewag...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2016, 2:50:53 PM11/5/16
to Benetea...@googlegroups.com
Do people run antifreeze through hot water heater?
Bill

Sent from my iPhone

Mark J Wilme

Nov 5, 2016, 2:55:15 PM11/5/16
to beneteau-owners
Either that or drain it into the bilge

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

DAVID Fletcher

Nov 5, 2016, 3:38:06 PM11/5/16
to Beneteau Group
If you use anti freeze be sure its  for potable water. it also takes a lot to get the system winter ready. far easier to drain the heater and by pass the lines to get antifreeze into the system.  be sure you get pink at all faucets both hot and cold

Easier to blow the lines out with a small air compressor

Sent from my Samsung device
To post to this group, send email to Benetea...@googlegroups.com

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

LA S

Nov 5, 2016, 3:43:05 PM11/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Yes

Bill Jarvis

Nov 5, 2016, 4:28:05 PM11/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
My practice has always been to drain the tank and bypass it with a short length of hose. That the gets the water system in the boat protected with antifreeze. If you do put AF in the hot water tank be prepared for either a foul smell when you heat the water in the spring.

Bill
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

or or

Nov 5, 2016, 4:40:58 PM11/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
My practice in MD was to blow out the lines. The HW heater was drained manually into the bilge and reconnected to the house water system. I then used my little Sears air compressor attached to the water supply line attached at the tank manifold to blow out all hot and cold water lines (tanks were drained using the standard water pump, first). This worked wonderfully for 6 cold MD winters without failure until we winterized by sailing south. Just don't forget to blow out the swim shower lines! It worked well for me to hold the compressor hose in place while Linda went to each set of faucets to drain each hot and cold line. We used anti freeze in the Yanmar (-100C) and absolutely none of that foul stuff in any other tank or line.

I did swish a dash down each drain, though, and in the heads and made sure lines to the holding tanks were full of the stuff.

Cap Munday
S/V Zydeco
Beneteau 473

My practice has always been to drain the tank and bypass it with a short length of hose. That the gets the water system in the boat protected with antifreeze. If you do put AF in the hot water tank be prepared for either a foul smell when you heat the water in the spring.

Bill

Ourdream351

Nov 5, 2016, 4:45:29 PM11/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
And not bypassing costs you an extra 6 gallons of antifreeze.

Sent from Bob's iPad

Mark J Wilme

Nov 5, 2016, 5:08:59 PM11/5/16
to beneteau-owners
don't forget you bilge pump(s), shower drain pump and freezer drain pump if you have them

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 4:40 PM, 'or or' via Beneteau Owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

umewes

Nov 5, 2016, 9:23:12 PM11/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I do it every winter. Our heater is in a very tied space. I know, I can't get all the water out and I can't rely on electricity stay on all winter either.

Heaven Can Wait
45f5

Sent from my iPad

Sail...@aol.com

My practice has always been to drain the tank and bypass it with a short length of hose. That the gets the water system in the boat protected with antifreeze. If you do put AF in the hot water tank be prepared for either a foul smell when you heat the water in the spring.

Bill

Mark J Wilme

Nov 5, 2016, 10:10:46 PM11/5/16
to beneteau-owners
I don't pay $5.99 for my fluid.   $2.58 or something like that I recall

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 10:05 PM, Sail83494 via Beneteau Owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
but you can use windshield washer fluid for anything you don't drink from.   $1.99/gallon is cheaper than $5.99

In a message dated 11/5/2016 5:09:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mark....@gmail.com writes:
don't forget you bilge pump(s), shower drain pump and freezer drain pump if you have them

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

DragonflyB331

Nov 6, 2016, 8:30:23 AM11/6/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I spent $30 on a bypass kit from RV store. Took 10 min to install. Now turn 2 valves and the water heater is bypassed.

Mark Stillwell
573-819-0436
Sent from my iPhone