Small Thruhull Leak

drdanj

Jan 7, 2018, 12:13:57 PM1/7/18
to Beneteau Owners
On my new to me '94 Oceanis 400, I've discovered a very small amount of salt water in the liner at the thruhull that serves the aft shower and galley sink. This is at the bottom of the companionway. Dry it up and a few days later, it will be just a couple of tabespoons full. It doesn't get much more than that, and I didn't notice it before I bought the boat and ran the shower sump pump. Note that when we did the inspection haulout a about five weeks ago, the exterior looked fine, the thruhull was nice and solid.

On my old Catalina 36, you could see the bilge by lifting a cabin sole panel. Here there is this interior liner that hides the bilge, so you can tell what's really in the bilge (who thought this was a good idea?). A PO did cut a small hole in the liner near the settee that gives a little visual access into the bilge. Best I can tell there is little to no water down there.

So, if there is little to no water in the bilge -- from what I can tell near the settee -- and this thruhull leaks just a bit (and looks good otherwise) letting a little water up on top of the liner, how risky does this sound? I just don't know these boats. Should I haul it immediately and replace that thruhull? I have no other reason to haul this boat, the bottom paint was still good.

Cheers

Dan

Kenneth Wilkinson

Jan 7, 2018, 12:45:08 PM1/7/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Could it be condensation?

Ken

Sent from my Android phone

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

drdanj

Jan 7, 2018, 1:32:53 PM1/7/18
to Beneteau Owners
I don't think so. it is salty and of the two thruhulls in this pan, this one is to the side and slightly higher than the motor intake, which is right at the bottom -- dead center. I'll check it again though, it does seem odd that water would be up on top of this liner, yet not down below it.

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 9:45:08 AM UTC-8, ken wrote:
Could it be condensation?

Ken

Sent from my Android phone
On Jan 7, 2018 12:14 PM, "drdanj" <drdan...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

UWE Mewes

Jan 7, 2018, 4:55:53 PM1/7/18
to drdanj, benetea...@googlegroups.com

Got myself a wireless Endoscope for those very hard to reach places. It has LED backlights for dark areas. They are around 30 bucks on Amazon. You can check the bilge on your cell phone! Water travels. I would not accept any leak. I would want to know for sure what leaks. Good luck.

       Uwe Mewes

            45F5

    Heaven Can Wait

drdanj