Sailing joys and sorrows

bill wagner

Sep 1, 2016, 12:57:18 PM9/1/16
to Benetea...@googlegroups.com

We just finished our cruise and I would like to make a few observations.

As most of you know, some cruises seem like continual repair sessions while others seem like weeks in paradise. Last year we spent 6 weeks out going to wonderful destinations like Block Island, Sag Harbor (Hamptons), Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket and Newport. We had a few minor problems and one significant issue: the outboard stopped working in Nantucket.  This was easily and surprisingly fixed when we returned by adding Sea Foam to the fuel. Worked like magic.

This year we had a problem a day. Matter of fact we had two big issues before we started: the windless wouldn’t work and the TacTick wind instrument was not working. We rebuilt the windless and Raymarine replaced our sending unit on the TacTick. During our 3 week trip we had a variety of problems with things like the 12volt outlet, the radar cable, the sump pump, a broken dish drain and a jammed outhaul car on the boom. Several of these issues I got help from our Beneteau group. However, we also had two big problems one of which was our own doing. We wounded a rock while exiting the anchorage in Sag Harbor. I also got wounded in the accident since I was going forward to better secure the anchor and managed to smash my leg, bang my thumb and cut my hand. Of course we had the boat hauled to check for damage. All seems ok.The boat survived with very little damage!  Some paint was chipped on the keel and the hot water heater was dislodged.

Our other issue which continues was a very badly leaking skylight which list members have been giving me great advice about repair. Before we attempt the repair, we are checking to make sure the leak is actually from the window. It comes out the window, but does it go in the window or some other location? We are testing.

In between problems we had great fun. At 74 years of age the body hurts in places I didn’t think possible; like my heel!! However, we got to sail a beautiful boat, to wonderful places and at each of these locations we bicycle (which we keep on board) through picturesque villages and towns. This year we had our 15 year old granddaughter with us (the one who clogged the shower drain) for a few days and it was a treat to be able to cycle in the Hampton's with her.

The purpose of this long winded post is to thank all of you who respond to my problems and questions. It makes me feel like I have a group of friends watching out for me. Kind of like a sailing Geek Squad.

Hopefully the body keeps functioning and we are able to sail many more years. Keep those suggestions coming!

Bill

Denny Wertheimer

Sep 1, 2016, 1:09:09 PM9/1/16
to Beneteau Group
Bill, When Michele and i retired, we brought Breeze Pleeze from STL to Venice florida. Sailing and motoring. I kept track of all of the the things that malfunctioned along the way. 12 things went sideways. about 1 per 100 miles. the boat was a great boat. 42CC, delivered us accross the gilf of mexico, in true Beneteau fashion.

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Denny Wertheimer

314-330-5001