2000 311 mast info - time to pull some wires...

Steve Mitchell

Apr 20, 2018, 7:55:59 PM4/20/18
to Beneteau Owners
Does anyone have pictures / know what the inside of a 2000 311 mast looks like?

I need to have a new VHF cable pulled as the existing one is shot, plus my anchor light is tripping the breaker and I'm hoping it is not wiring, and I may want to replace the wind instrument with a wireless or N2K model. I also determined that the PO used a home depot extension cord with the ends chopped off to run to the deck/steaming light, which also stopped working since last season.

From what I can tell, everything that is going up to the very top of the mast is inside a PVC pipe/conduit in one corner of the mast, but that is just from peering inside one of the holes near the boom where a halyard goes in.

The wires going to the deck/steaming light are not inside that, and slap around constantly. That I may solve by using a smaller gauge wire and the trick of three zip ties with their ends on to stabilize things.

What I am hoping is that we can use the existing VHF and wind instrument wires and pull new ones up through the conduit, but I am not sure if the wires are tied off at points, or?

Any other guidance would be appreciated.

-s
---
Steve Mitchell - Editor, SailBits.com | st...@sailbits.com

DAVID FLETCHER

Apr 20, 2018, 8:06:23 PM4/20/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Most likely two different cable chases inside the mast. One going to the top and the other to an outlet at the spreaders. May have the pull line still there.

It you have access to a crane hoist, it wouldn’t take very long to instep the mast.

You would have the mast on a few saw horses in an hour and then you can clean it all up and do it right.

Fletch

Sent from my iPhone
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Steve Mitchell

Apr 20, 2018, 8:08:55 PM4/20/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David.

I only see one conduit going up, but I can't see very well inside. I definitely don't see any pull strings anywhere visible right now...

I don't have access to a crane without going to a boat yard, and I would rather not step the mast, as last time it took much longer than expected, and I would like to avoid any collateral damage. It would be much easier of course to work on it, but I'm looking for potential ways to do that without stepping.

-s

On Apr 20, 2018, at 7:55 PM, Steve Mitchell <st...@stevem.net> wrote:

Does anyone have pictures / know what the inside of a 2000 311 mast looks like?

I need to have a new VHF cable pulled as the existing one is shot, plus my anchor light is tripping the breaker and I'm hoping it is not wiring, and I may want to replace the wind instrument with a wireless or N2K model. I also determined that the PO used a home depot extension cord with the ends chopped off to run to the deck/steaming light, which also stopped working since last season.

From what I can tell, everything that is going up to the very top of the mast is inside a PVC pipe/conduit in one corner of the mast, but that is just from peering inside one of the holes near the boom where a halyard goes in.

Steve Mitchell - Editor, SailBits.com | steve@sailbits.com

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Steve Mitchell

Apr 24, 2018, 4:17:56 PM4/24/18
to Beneteau Owners
After a lot of research, I will be dropping the mast next Tuesday and pulling all new wire for everything, replacing the VHF antenna, anchor light, upgrading to a new ultrasonic wind instrument, and replacing the non functioning deck/steaming light.

Any tips for the Charleston Spar specific rig on the 2000 311 Beneteau would be great. General mast stepping tips not needed :)

In particular, I am curious if anyone has the exact measurements for the sheaves at the masthead. Some folks in the UK have provided info on their spar, and it appears to be a 50mm sheave, but I am not 100% sure they have the same spar.
Steve Mitchell - Editor, SailBits.com | steve@sailbits.com

Gary & Carole Dupuis

Apr 24, 2018, 4:49:53 PM4/24/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

You should get in touch with the guys at Rig-Riite, www.rigrite.com.

Steve Mitchell - Editor, SailBits.com | st...@sailbits.com

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.