Stiff Halyard Swivel

Ben Campbell

Dec 24, 2017, 1:19:30 AM12/24/17
to Beneteau Owners
Hi,

I recently took my headsail off my Beneteau 31’s ProFurl furler for repair, and took the opportunity to inspect the halyard swivel. It seems stiffer than I would have expected. It turns smoothly, but takes a bit of effort. It feels more like thick grease than corrosion or metal-on-metal friction.

Is this normal? I understand that Profurl uses a sealed steel bearing, so I assume it can’t be lubricated? (The manual warns that WD40 type solvents can damage the seals.)

Thanks!

Ben Campbell
2009 Beneteau 31 “Dancing Days”
Lewisville Lake, TX.

signature.asc

Btbogdan46

Dec 24, 2017, 10:50:53 AM12/24/17
to Beneteau Owners
The answere is no, should swivel smoothly. Take a hose and wash with fresh water with a strong spray. The take a dry lube and spray in every opening you can find to lubricate the bearings.

Brian W

Dec 24, 2017, 12:59:26 PM12/24/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Ben,
Here's the owners guide for the ProFurl cruising series in your size range. Pages 22 is maintenance and troubleshooting...they recommend rinse only.
Cheers,
Brian (s/v Toujours BF405)

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - Native American Proverb
manuel-de-montage-696.pdf

BigEasy

Jan 2, 2018, 9:27:42 PM1/2/18
to Beneteau Owners
Ben,
     I have read that the Pro Furl swivel does not turn freely as does other manufacturers' swivels.  It should turn smoothly; however, it will not spin freely.  I removed my genoa a few months ago for a late season hurricane threat.  Before I reinstalled the jib,  I checked out the swivel thoroughly and noted the same as you; turns smoothly but not freely.  And,  as you mentioned, it is a sealed bearing; therefore, it  can not be lubricated without rebuilding.
      David
      2006 Beneteau 343
      Slidell, LA

drdanj

Jan 12, 2018, 1:11:17 PM1/12/18
to Beneteau Owners
On the Catalina 36 I just sold, the swivel was totally frozen. A friend even put it on a bench to try to break it free, no go. The new one cost me nearly $700. Two cans and some bearing!