Genset

DAVID Fletcher

Nov 29, 2016, 6:00:14 PM11/29/16
to Beneteau Group

Would anybody have a 461 two cabin with a genset installed.

I contacted Beneteau and was informed the 461 never had  a Genset option. Accordingly they no suggestions.

I am interested in where to locate a set. What make and particular the cabin noise. Is it a do it yourself install or a must to have pros .

I am thinking about a Next Gen

Any thoughts

FLETCH

Sent from my Samsung device

robertsquire

Nov 29, 2016, 6:33:22 PM11/29/16
to Beneteau Owners
can't really say much about your direct question but I'm thinking of installing one myself.I'm going to install it in one of the aft storage lockers next to the boarding steps.I'm thinking to strip it back off its frame and mounting the tank vertically

Walt Posner

Nov 29, 2016, 8:34:22 PM11/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

I had a Next Gen on my Hylas 44 back in 2003. It was the 5 KW and the motor was hard starting, especially after I changed the fuel filter

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Mohammad Bayegan

Nov 29, 2016, 8:42:46 PM11/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fletch,
My 461 was a two cabin model, as a result had a pretty good space on the starboard cockpit locker.
I had a Fisher Panda 6 kw placed in there. had to build a platform .  I didn't like the Fisher Panda the windings were sea water cooled and the jacket developed a whole after it went out of warranty , but Fisher Panda new they had problems and gave me the whole back end and I replaced it myself.
Presently I have westerbeke 6.7 kw I don't like that either the engine and exhaust is badly designed .  It sucked water into the engine after 80 hours of use and westerbeke didn't warranty it. I had to buy a whole new engine for it. The physical size would be too large for a 461 as well. If I was doing what you want to do I would find a generator with a Yanmar engine, there are some out there.

or or

Nov 29, 2016, 8:44:10 PM11/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Did you crack the bleed nut and jumper the fuel pump after changing the filter to recharge the system? I did that every time I changed the filter in our Next Gen 5kw and never had a problem.

I lashed the jumper wire to the fuel line so I had it right there when working on the engine.

Oil and filter were easy to change and I never had a problem with routine maintenance. In Key West I changed from brush to brushless generator, so I recommend never getting the brush system. That was a real pain to maintain.

Cap Munday
S/V Zydeco
Beneteau 473

or or

Nov 29, 2016, 8:46:48 PM11/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Presently I have westerbeke 6.7 kw I don't like that either the engine and exhaust is badly designed .  It sucked water into the engine after 80 hours of use and westerbeke didn't warranty it. I had to buy a whole new engine for it. The physical size would be too large for a 461 as well. If I was doing what you want to do I would find a generator with a Yanmar engine, there are some out there.
Note that the Kubota in Next Gen is less expensive to maintain and is smaller than the Yanmar and, in my opinion, is just as reliable and easy starting.

Cap Munday
S/V Zydeco
Beneteau 473

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

Walt Posner

Nov 29, 2016, 8:56:58 PM11/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

What year was your Next Gen?

Jeff Pernick

Nov 29, 2016, 8:59:33 PM11/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Here is install info for the 473 two cabin I used to own.  Might be similar.

Sent from my iPad

Mohammad Bayegan

Nov 29, 2016, 9:20:52 PM11/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
My Fisher Panda had a Kubota and the Crank shaft. front seal kept failing.

Nov 30, 2016, 10:57:06 AM11/30/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jeff,

That is an excellent modification you made!

I enjoy the web page description.

I’ve had my 473 for 7 years now, and love it.

I have a question regarding your new water heater…

My frustration with the present 11 gallon tank, is that it takes 20+ minutes to heat up water with my Genset (Fischer Panda 8KW).

I wish there was a way to pump more amps into it…

Is your Isotherm any better regarding the time to heat up water?

Thx

James

James A Kidd

Key Account Manager

jk...@kaydon.com

james....@skf.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

Here is install info for the 473 two cabin I used to own.  Might be similar.

Jeff Pernick

Nov 30, 2016, 11:17:59 AM11/30/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hi James, I really do not recall, but since the new water heater was only about 6 gallons my guess is that it would reach temperature in about 1/2 the time.  One feature that I really liked about the new unit was that it had a constant temperature mixing valve.  This allows much hotter water in the tank but maintains safe outlet temperatures.  (Btw, Although safe and temperature controlled in the electric mode, heaters without mixing valves are very dangerous in the engine heated mode.  Outlet temperatures of 175 degrees are common and can cause severe burns)

So, 6 gallons of very hot water is easily equivalent to 11 gallons of warm water.  As to heat up time, I think elements would be 1500 watts in either heater so temperature rise per minute should be about twice as fast in the 6 gallon heater.

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 30, 2016, at 10:57 AM, Kidd, James <jk...@kaydon.com> wrote:

Hi Jeff,

That is an excellent modification you made!

I enjoy the web page description.

I’ve had my 473 for 7 years now, and love it.

I have a question regarding your new water heater…

My frustration with the present 11 gallon tank, is that it takes 20+ minutes to heat up water with my Genset (Fischer Panda 8KW).

I wish there was a way to pump more amps into it…

Is your Isotherm any better regarding the time to heat up water?

Thx

James

James A Kidd

Key Account Manager

jk...@kaydon.com

james....@skf.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

<image005.jpg><image006.png>

Kidd, James

Nov 30, 2016, 11:42:24 AM11/30/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Jeff.

I guess the only way to improve heating time would be more elements …

Thx

James

James A Kidd

Key Account Manager

jk...@kaydon.com

james....@skf.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

Sailing

Dec 2, 2016, 2:13:16 PM12/2/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Fletch
This is a job for a pro
Need to make a bed for the Genset
Then you need to run wiring.
Then install a switch to go between genet or dock power.
Need for battery cables off the engine start battery.

Joe Sircely

or or

Dec 2, 2016, 3:03:01 PM12/2/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I agree completely, Joe. Unless a boat owner frequently uses all of these skills:

Fiberglass designer and fabricator
Electrical engineer and designer
Master marine electrician
Mechanical installation

Then hire an outfit who has these professionals, or expect a less than optimal installation that may be a danger to all, or at best, be unreliable.

Cap Munday
S/V Zydeco
Beneteau 473

Dec 5, 2016, 7:18:51 AM12/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Not DIY job!  We like to use Fish/panda in sound box, install in cockpit laz.  Big job we have two of these in my firm and it is big job.

Jeffrey Schwartz

Would anybody have a 461 two cabin with a genset installed.

Jeffrey

Dec 5, 2016, 8:12:11 AM12/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

We did one  on a Beneteau 400 and one on a 411 model, both in the aft starboard laz… really a big job, setting up base adding aux. fuel tank, fuel lines, battery, AC and DC wiring, oil extractor pump, aux. fuel filter and pump, main switches to change over from shore to gen/set, control panel harness… there is lots to think about and it weighs in at 350 lbs give/take so you just don’t move it easily.

Jeffrey Schwartz

Dec 5, 2016, 8:59:42 AM12/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Yes, a generator install is very involved.  It requires structural fiberglass work, carpentry, D.C. Systems, A.C. Systems, water cooling, exhaust, and fuel systems.  Each of these task areas are critical and touch on both the functionality and safety of the boat.  It requires that you have the professional level required skills, can develop them, or job out each of these specialties.

As a dedicated DYI guy, I spent at least 4 weeks working full time (and untold hours planning) to complete the installation.  For me, it is very important that I have intimate knowledge of every system on the boat and have the knowledge to maintain, diagnose, and hopefully repair anything when off on our own.  I chose a simple, conventional low speed generator and planned carefully for access to all aspects of the install for ongoing maintenance.

An advantage of DYI is that you can afford to spend as much time as you like planning, adjusting, and doing.  I came up with a final product that I was very happy with but was practical and affordable only because the labor was free.

Anyway, this is not a DYI project to be undertaken lightly and professional installation should definitely be considered in any evaluation.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad