First 310 Battery Boxes and Locations

Christopher Hubbell

Apr 27, 2015, 1:36:21 PM4/27/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

My First 310 has one Group 27 battery for house bank, and one Group 24
for a starter battery. Neither of them is in a battery box, and neither
is strapped down. Last year (different boat) I took out my electronics
during a rough race when a battery knocked out of its place, so this
isn't going to work for me. I'd like to do one of the following:

1. Move up from a G24 to pair of G27 batteries - not yet sure if they'd
fit in current location.
2. Upgrade the system to have 2 batteries in a house bank, and one
dedicated starter - but where to put the third battery?
3. In either arrangement, make sure all batteries are in boxes and
strapped down tight.

If anyone has a F310 set up to the above requirements, I would greatly
appreciate any pictures or tips that might save me research/ planning time.

Thank you,
Chris

--
Christopher Hubbell
cghu...@gmail.com

S/V Slainte; First 310

Apr 27, 2015, 11:35:29 PM4/27/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
My 310 has the two battery's side by side under the stairs. There is a strap that runs fore to aft across the top of each. No battery box. they sut in that well. I replaced both last spring - just took them both to Interstate Battery and got replacements of the same size. Don't know where you would put a third one unless perhaps you built something to hold it in the aft lazarette.I'll be out at the boat later in the week and can probably shoot a picture or two. There wasn't a lot of room in that well and as I recall, I had to trim the molding on the base to get them to sit completely down in the well.

Gregory Gaydos

Apr 28, 2015, 5:41:04 AM4/28/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I added a second house battery in the sail locker. It is a 4D 200Amp battery.
I purchased a battery box and secured it in place.
Wired in parellel to the existing house battery.

This was the recommended method after speaking with Beneteau service.

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1086** members and growing.

Christopher Hubbell

Apr 28, 2015, 6:09:33 AM4/28/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Interesting; That's what I was guessing  was the best location for battery #3...  The only thing different in my mind was that I'd think ideally the house bank would be comprised of the same battery type and would be close together to shorten the cable runs.  So, I'd be tempted to put two batteries in front if the engine as the house bank, and a single in the lazarette as the dedicated starter.

Does anyone know if the factory batteries were group 24 vs. 27?

Thank you,
Chris
--
Christopher Hubbell
cghu...@gmail.com

Ben Campbell

Apr 28, 2015, 10:56:35 AM4/28/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Beneteau must like that approach, as the factory config of my 2009 31
has two house batteries in front of the engine, and the starter battery
under a bench in the aft cabin.

On 28 Apr 2015, at 5:09, Christopher Hubbell wrote:

> Interesting; That's what I was guessing was the best location for
> battery #3... The only thing different in my mind was that I'd think
> ideally the house bank would be comprised of the same battery type and
> would be close together to shorten the cable runs. So, I'd be tempted
> to put two batteries in front if the engine as the house bank, and a
> single in the lazarette as the dedicated starter.
>
> Does anyone know if the factory batteries were group 24 vs. 27?
>
> Thank you,
> Chris
>

> On 4/28/2015 5:41 AM, Gregory Gaydos wrote:
>> I added a second house battery in the sail locker. It is a 4D 200Amp
>> battery.
>> I purchased a battery box and secured it in place.
>> Wired in parellel to the existing house battery.
>>
>> This was the recommended method after speaking with Beneteau service.
>>

>>> On Apr 27, 2015, at 11:35 PM, S/V Slainte; First 310
>>> cghu...@gmail.com <javascript:>
>>>

>>> --
>>> Largest Beneteau group, over **1086** members and growing.

>>> http://groups.google.com/group/Beneteau-Owners
>>> contact denny.we...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:denny.we...@gmail.com>, or ume...@comcast.net
>>> <mailto:ume...@comcast.net> if you have a list management question
>>> ---
>>> Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.
>>> send an email to beneteau-owne...@googlegroups.com
>>> <mailto:beneteau-owne...@googlegroups.com>.
>>
>> --
>> Largest Beneteau group, over **1086** members and growing.

>> a list management question
>> ---
>> Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.
>> send an email to beneteau-owne...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:beneteau-owne...@googlegroups.com>.
>

> --
> Christopher Hubbell
> cghu...@gmail.com

Mark J Wilme

Apr 28, 2015, 11:15:00 AM4/28/15
to beneteau-owners
Our 381 was like this also

I switched them around and installed 4 Lifeline 6v AGMs under the starboard berth as the house bank and a single 12v AGM in front of the engine as the starting battery.

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

Bill Jarvis

Apr 28, 2015, 5:31:07 PM4/28/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Before you decide on the size of the house battery please help yourself make the right decision by doing an energy budget for your boat.

If you cruise take that as your day and add up all the ampere hours you use during a day. Refrigerator, running lights, radio, nav equipment, entertainment, inverter if you have one.

The total usage should be no more than 30% of your nominal house bank AH capacity.

Bill

Donald Smith

Apr 28, 2015, 6:12:43 PM4/28/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
The key to battery life, regardless of technology, is how deeply is it discharged and how often is is discharged. Frequent deep discharges kill batteries quickly.  A daily 30% discharge will soon mean a transfer of wealth from boat owner to battery merchant.