Heads on a 473

SWFLman

Jun 24, 2017, 9:58:25 PM6/24/17
to Beneteau Owners
I bought a 2002 473 a couple of months ago,  Its in pretty good shape but a few things need attention.  One issue I have is that I seem to continue to get back flow back into the heads.

In the aft manual head, I changed out the joker valve, but still get back flow into the head.  I try pumping about 10 more pumps after it is emptied, but still get nasty water back into the head.

In the forward electric head, I've replaced the joker valve, new hoses, y valve and vent hose.  When I'm dumping directly overboard it empties very quickly, but when dumping into the tank is takes a minute or so to empty.  And like the aft, if fills back up with water after a bit

I assume that since the holding tanks are above the heads, you will have some of that, but I'm just having a difficult time getting pleasant smelling heads..  I've cleaned both holding tanks with "digest-it" and used other odor nuetralizing items to no avail.

Any suggestions as to how I can get better smelling heads.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Steve

Mohammad Bayegan

Jun 24, 2017, 11:52:47 PM6/24/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Habe you checked your vents?
Marengo B 49

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

DAVID Fletcher

Jun 25, 2017, 8:36:33 AM6/25/17
to Beneteau Group
Vent lines.

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

Btbogdan46

Jun 25, 2017, 10:06:16 AM6/25/17
to Beneteau Owners
Back flow usually means the joker valve is not closing properly because of age and use and need to be replaced. Since you replace one, replace the other adn check the vent line, especially inside the vent fitting that attaches to the hull. My screen was clogged with stuff and I removed it from the hull and cleaned it out with water pressure from both sides of the vent.

Jeff Taylor

Jun 25, 2017, 3:35:56 PM6/25/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Beneteau uses vent that has a mesh screen in the vent.  you need to reach in there with the dental pick a small screwdriver or a coat hanger and rip of the mash so the toilet paper can't get stuck.

Sent from my iPhone.
Jeff Taylor

Sailing

Jun 25, 2017, 7:46:40 PM6/25/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
You are using the wrong joker valve. Use Raritan C253. Red rubber

Joe Sircely

Mark J Wilme

Mark Moskovitz

Jun 26, 2017, 8:12:36 AM6/26/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Smelly heads are due to dirty hoses and such as well as from organic residuals from the raw intake order if you are using raw water to flush the heads, or when the heads are left with water in them for some period of time – weekend to weekend.  We had a 473 for well over ten years and always left the heads filled with fresh water from the boat tanks, as well as flushing the heads/hoses with fresh water ever now and then.  Gotta say, we had no odor problems.

I bought a 2002 473 a couple of months ago,  Its in pretty good shape but a few things need attention.  One issue I have is that I seem to continue to get back flow back into the heads.

--

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Brian W

Jun 26, 2017, 10:21:25 AM6/26/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Peggie Hall, also known as the "HeadMistress," knows all about heads, their history, smells, and their elimination. She participates in any number of blogs on the topic and is very good about responding to questions / issues. She's a good resource to have in your corner for tackling head issues.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 8:12 AM, 'Mark Moskovitz' via Beneteau Owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - Native American Proverb

Kidd, James

Jun 27, 2017, 10:54:20 AM6/27/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

I will agree with the fresh water comment below.

It makes a huge difference.

Salt water especially when sitting around, is putrid.

I now flush with fresh water, or at least do a fresh rinse..

James A Kidd

Key Account Manager

jk...@kaydon.com

james....@skf.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

Peggie Hall, also known as the "HeadMistress," knows all about heads, their history, smells, and their elimination. She participates in any number of blogs on the topic and is very good about responding to questions / issues. She's a good resource to have in your corner for tackling head issues.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 8:12 AM, 'Mark Moskovitz' via Beneteau Owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Smelly heads are due to dirty hoses and such as well as from organic residuals from the raw intake order if you are using raw water to flush the heads, or when the heads are left with water in them for some period of time – weekend to weekend.  We had a 473 for well over ten years and always left the heads filled with fresh water from the boat tanks, as well as flushing the heads/hoses with fresh water ever now and then.  Gotta say, we had no odor problems.

Mark J Wilme

Jun 27, 2017, 8:54:44 PM6/27/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I second the fresh water flush. Every time.   Also make sure the final flush before leaving the boat is enough water to fill all the pipe from the head to the tank.

On Jun 26, 2017 7:12 AM, "'Mark Moskovitz' via Beneteau Owners" <benetea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Smelly heads are due to dirty hoses and such as well as from organic residuals from the raw intake order if you are using raw water to flush the heads, or when the heads are left with water in them for some period of time – weekend to weekend.  We had a 473 for well over ten years and always left the heads filled with fresh water from the boat tanks, as well as flushing the heads/hoses with fresh water ever now and then.  Gotta say, we had no odor problems.

or or

Jun 27, 2017, 9:12:07 PM6/27/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
We had a #1 and #2 head on Zydeco. Fwd head was #2 and it was a fresh water flush from our tanks. Aft, #1 using ambient water flush. In KW we employed the Head Honcho to remedy our aft head problems and after getting things apart he sent me to the swim step to chip out crud from 10 years of salty flushes. It was down to a dime size hole, totally encrusted with calcification. The fwd head was clean.

With a water maker I would have fresh water flushes for both heads.

Cap Munday
S/V Zydeco
Beneteau 473

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

SWFLman

Jul 1, 2017, 10:33:17 PM7/1/17
to Beneteau Owners
Thanks for everyone's suggestions........

RICHARD DAMICO

Jul 2, 2017, 1:34:17 PM7/2/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com, Rick
Have your tried changing out the “Flapper” valve, located just under the pump handle?   This solved that problem for me.

Rick D’Amico

“Airtime II"
B-38.1
San Diego

On Jul 1, 2017, at 7:33 PM, SWFLman <steveh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions........

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 9:58:25 PM UTC-4, SWFLman wrote:
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

Gibbs Emilio

Jul 2, 2017, 6:16:17 PM7/2/17

Subject: Re: {Beneteau Owners} Re: Heads on a 473
To: benetea...@googlegroups.com, "Rick" <rickd...@cox.net>
Date: Sunday, July 2, 2017, 8:34 PM

Have your
tried changing out the “Flapper” valve, located just
under the pump handle?   This solved that problem for
me.
Rick
D’Amico
“Airtime II"B-38.1San Diego
0 sept. - Semnarea Tratatului de pace de la Saint-Germain-en-Laye cu Austria. 19 nov. - Senatul S.U.A. respinge Tratatu1 de la Versailles si se opune constituiri Societatii Natiunilor. 27 nov. - Semnarea Tratatului de pace de la Neuilly-sur-Seine cu Bulgaria.