473 Oceanis Clipper -Question wrt Air Conditioner--brand, and installation

Glide2277

Oct 16, 2017, 5:50:19 PM10/16/17
to Beneteau Owners
Hi all
I have owned an old wooden yawl for more than twenty years...about the same size as the Beneteau 473---and I had my offer accepted on a 473 Clipper this week.  I have read through a lot of comments and the forums have made me much more comfortable with the purchase...but i have a few questions...all regarding making the boat more comfortable...
I am going to post them individually-but essentially i wanted to learn about installing air conditioning, water maker, generator capacity and installing a second or more powerful alternator...
So, first of all the boat has a heating system--Webasco...but I intend to sail often in warmer climes---so can anyone tell me where an air conditioner would go, and whether I would use two air conditioners or just one? and also the Generator capacity i would need for AC, Water maker, and the normal stuff...

Thanks
Max

Larry Cost

Oct 16, 2017, 6:25:13 PM10/16/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Most 473s have two AC units. One in the saloon for the forward part of the boat and one in the aft port lazerate for the aft cabins. 16k BTU forward and 12K BTU aft. I believe this was the OEM set up. I own a 2001 473 hull number 25. As for generator power  there are multiple set ups. If you have a two cabin model, you will have plenty of room in the “garage” for anything you want. If you want to run both AC units, water maker, etc. I would recommend at least 7 KW. I personally have a 4 KW unit since I have a three cabin model and it is in the starboard aft lazerate. I have to do power management but it works for us. I will be happy to answer any questions. I have owned the boat for 7 years and we are currently moving aboard full time.

Larry
s/v TraSea
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Kidd, James

Oct 16, 2017, 6:34:28 PM10/16/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I’m still loving my 2004, 473 after eight years. Great Boat. The AC set up as described is the same in mine. I have an 8 kW Fischer Panda. Plenty of power to run AC water heater etc.
I added solar panels and davits and I have plenty of electricity to run the refrigeration 24/7

It’s a great boat. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 16, 2017, at 5:50 PM, Glide2277 <glid...@gmail.com<mailto:glid...@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

Maxwell Kennedy

Oct 16, 2017, 6:51:52 PM10/16/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks you guys so much...she really looks so great--Really hope the sale works out...thanks max

On Oct 16, 2017, at 5:50 PM, Glide2277 <glid...@gmail.com<mailto:glide...@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.