Engine ventilation fan always on?

danstanford

Nov 5, 2016, 9:08:46 AM11/5/16
to Beneteau Owners
This is my first Beneteau and my first ever boat where the engine ventilation fan is always on. Is this typical on all Beneteaus or is it specific to my 3YM20 engine? I ask the last part because I have read that this engine is prone to overheating and I am trying to understand if that is why it is always on when the engine is running. I presume this is a designed in element since there is no switch for the fan like I have had in other boats.
Any comments? I would prefer to not have to listen to the fan if I can switch it off to the point that I was contemplating a thermostatic switch so it is only on when needed.

Thanks,
Dan

Mark J Wilme

Nov 5, 2016, 9:45:06 AM11/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

We run ours like this to take the heat out of the engine compartment and thus the cabin.

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Mohammad Bayegan

Nov 5, 2016, 11:04:47 AM11/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I have had B 461 and a B 49 presently they both have the fan running when engine is running, they both came with 76 hp Yanmar turbocharged.
There running to supply  engine with fresh air for the turbocharger as well as the engine itself, also evacuate the hot air and any fumes that might be present.
Marengo B  49

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

JoeT

Nov 8, 2016, 3:24:30 PM11/8/16
to Beneteau Owners
My 343 with the 3YM30 has no ventilation fan.

Btbogdan46

Nov 8, 2016, 10:18:12 PM11/8/16
to Beneteau Owners
We had a Ben 40 and now a Ben 45, in both boats the fan is a;ways on. The reason is to make sure the exhaust fumes are removed from the engine compartment and always provide fresh air to the engine.

Mohammad Bayegan

Nov 8, 2016, 10:22:26 PM11/8/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Diesel engine requires a lot of fresh air specially if it is turbocharged .
MARENGO  B  49

Nov 8, 2016, 10:31:02 PM11/8/16
to Beneteau Group
Mohawk is smiling tonight 😃