Big dreams need big plans

Dean Forbis

Apr 25, 2017, 11:34:11 AM4/25/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
So we just got back from a fabulous week in Vieques, Puerto Rico (by land, not boat)  We have a big dream to take our boat, a 2003 36.7, South for a while: St Augustine, South Fla, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, USVI and BVI but no further.

What all goes into planning and pulling of a move like this.

Thanks,

Dean

Skip Ryan

Apr 25, 2017, 12:40:34 PM4/25/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
There is no silver bullet answer. And your question is broad. Think about it and ask. FYI, if your plan is as stated, it would be easier to go the the far end first and work your way back. It is upwind to the VI's. Need to sail east (around an approaching cold front) from FL/northern Bahamas at least 800 miles, then turn right - south - to PR/VI.  If you want to go the more difficult upwind island hopping route, see Bruce Van Sant's Thornless Path book. Good luck.
Skip

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Dean Forbis

Apr 25, 2017, 12:46:02 PM4/25/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Yeah, still lots to answer but we don't know the questions yet.

Mark Stillwell

Apr 25, 2017, 1:07:44 PM4/25/17
to Beneteau-Owners
Hi Dean,

We have similar dreams of moving our B393 to St. Pete, FL and sail the eastern Caribbean for 3-5 years. We have been working our plan for the last 5 years and are currently updating our boat and putting our house on the market with plans to move her to St. Pete in late August/early Sept., Key West for Thanksgiving, Havana for Christmas, and sailing east from there...Grenada below the hurricane belt by July 2018.

Here is a book to consider: Changing Course: A Woman's Guide to Choosing the Cruising Life by Debra Cantrell

There are several things we consider in our planning.

Finances:

You can read a lot of blogs on costs of cruising from $500 to $5,000 or more per month. We don't want to live on rice and beans and have beat up old boat. We have been saving for the last 5 years so we are currently debt free and have a boat update account.  I just retired and Suzanne has been retired for the last 5 years. Thus we have a fixed income that we hope will cover our costs without tapping into investments.

We do all our banking, bill paying, investing and taxes online.

We will have health insurance as part of retirement benefit.

Home base:

We plan to move to Florida as our official state of residence, in part because they have no state income tax. We will use  St. Brendan’s Isle - https://www.sbimailservice.com/ - to establish residence and forward mail to us.

We plan to sell our home and distribute keepsake items to our kids or put in long term storage.

Family:

We are budgeting trips back to see aging parents and our kids and grand kids 4 times a year. We will use social media, email, Facebook and Face-time to keep up with friends and family while cruising.

Upgrades to Dragonfly:

We are currently updating electronics, new sails, new Rocna anchor with 200 ft. chain, solar panels, batteries, Rainmaker water maker, dingy and outboard motor.

Caribbean cruising knowledge:

We have read several books on cruising the Caribbean, chartered in BVI, Tahiti and Cuba, monitor several forums, have traveled to many islands while diving, and are working on our Spanish language skills...No hablo español. Mi esposa habla español...☺

That's the big picture of your planning.  I hope this helps.

Mark & Suzanne Stillwell
S/V Dragonfly II
Beneteau 393

UWE Mewes

Apr 25, 2017, 6:23:38 PM4/25/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Great plans. All the best going forward. Hope to catch up with you guys some time in the future. How about getting the vessel documented?

        Uwe Mewes

     Heaven Can Wait

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.