373 bottom prep.

Mason

Oct 18, 2017, 10:01:49 PM10/18/17
to Beneteau Owners
I have 2007  373  .
I had a estimate of 6K to do the bottom.
The marina said it was expensive because the keel was  cast iron and it needed  blasted.
seems like a lot  or is that going rate.
I have done a couple of  of bottom repaints on an old Newport 28  .
Should I try to do the 373 or is it better left to the pros.
Anyone  know a good  place to have this done ,in the Annapolis, Deale or Rockhall area ?
thanks

Mark Stillwell

Oct 18, 2017, 10:31:57 PM10/18/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
If you did it on a 28’, you can do a 373...just more time, energy, and paint.

Had bottom painted on Dragonfly B393 when we moved to Florida in August: 2 costs, 3 at waterline. $3k

Sent from my iPhone
Mark Stillwell
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Brian W

Oct 19, 2017, 6:32:53 AM10/19/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mason,
Try Herrington Harbour North in Deale. Their prices seem to be reasonable and they do a great job. Our 3rd off season with them and we've always been happy with the results.
Brian
s/v Toujours (1987 First 405)

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - Native American Proverb

B F-405

Oct 19, 2017, 7:04:06 AM10/19/17
to Beneteau Owners
If it includes blasting the keel, and I assume at least 4 coats of epoxy, that is not an unreasonable price at all.

UWE Mewes

Oct 19, 2017, 8:10:55 AM10/19/17
to Mason, benetea...@googlegroups.com

I have been very satisfied with Annapolis Boat Works at Jabins. Best time to do is mid summer. They are typically slower. They take the time to do the job right and it's still faster because of lighter schedule. Not pressured by weather like in spring. Better pricing. I had the keel blasted and was not even close to you number.

        Uwe Mewes

             45F5

    Heaven Can Wait

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Jonathan B.

Oct 19, 2017, 8:31:49 AM10/19/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com, Mason
We had our boat painted (sides and bottom) by Haven Harbour marina, over on the eastern shore.  Their paint shop does spectacular work, and they are reasonably priced. Give Bill a call, and see what he can do for you.

Cheers,
Jonathan

S/V Callinectes
Oceanis 45

On October 18, 2017 at 10:01 PM Mason <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Dean Forbis

Oct 19, 2017, 8:48:27 AM10/19/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com, Mason
Do your own bottom !  With a cruiser it's easy. Haul out, pressure wash, rough sand the old bottom paint (assuming you are not changing type of paint) with 80 grit,  clean thoroughly tape the water line and paint. Interlux and Petit have great info on DIY bottom painting. I have never paid to have mine done and have even changed paints 3 times now. Original VC17 to Vivid to a hard epoxy now.

Dean

Tom Lucke

Oct 19, 2017, 12:09:49 PM10/19/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
How badly rusted is the keel?

When I bought my 345 (18 years ago) the surveyor's report was fairly alarmist about the keel (which actually had relatively little rust). His recommendation involved blasting, epoxy coating, rebidding around the bilge sump, and more. And the estimate from the yard was ridiculous. So we went with some sanding / grinding where there was obvious rust, a rust-bonding undercoat (applied only in the spots that needed grinding), and then bottom paint. It's was fine, with minor touch-up for at least ten years.

About 9 - 10 years ago, I switched over the bottom paint, which required blasting (with corn cobs, if I recall) all of the old paint off. We then barrier coated the hull, and repeated a rust-bonding undercoat on the keel before new bottom paint. Again, we've been fine for the last 10 years with only minor touch-up on the keel.

 So if it is (supposedly) rust on the keel that is driving the cost, you might want to take a hard look at how bad it really is. The truth is that no matter what you do, the iron keels are going to rust . . .