B49 Transmission

Bob Frew

Aug 31, 2015, 10:52:52 AM8/31/15
to Beneteau Owners
THe boat is 7 years old. Great Boat. We motor sailed to Newport at the weekend, when we arrived we were looking for a mooring and put the transmission in neutral. I could not get the transmission in forward. It did not click in. after a while it did. Also when we arrived at Block the same thing happened. I checked the linkages at the transmission and at the lever. That was OK. Any ideas?  Thanks,  Bob

Bill Jarvis

Aug 31, 2015, 11:43:21 AM8/31/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Bob,

When you say you checked the linkages at the tranny and at the shifter did you manually operate the linkage at the transmission? If so did it fully engage?

I have seen that sort of behavior when the clamp aound the outer part of the shift cable has become a little loose at one end or the other. The result is that part of the movement of the lever at the transmission is lost on moving the outer sheath of the cable and so the transmission sometimes does not get properly engaged.

Bill

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1108** members and growing.

davidcfletcher

Aug 31, 2015, 12:06:18 PM8/31/15
to Beneteau Group
If it is a Hurth ZF NOW. It is most likely the clutches for the foward drive.

Does it reverse? Drain the ATF fluid if black and a little metal filing?

Rebuild is about 1200 new is around 1600 to 1700.

Rebuilds do not last.

Be sure to put a new flex plate at the same time

FLETCH

Sent from my Samsung device

Mike

Sep 2, 2015, 9:34:44 AM9/2/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Double check linkage throw. Get a manual and check. EXTREMELY critical!
My friend has same trans and after removing it found nothing wrong internally. It was a linkage problem.
So check anything that would affect the throw: motor mounts, linkage brackets, cables, etc.
have someone move the shifter while you watch the throw at the trans.
Do it by the book before you condemn the trans.

Mike
Another Girl

Sent from Mikes iPad

Rick L

Sep 3, 2015, 6:46:56 AM9/3/15
to Beneteau Owners
In the meantime make sure you check for reverse before you enter any tight area. If is is the cable you may also lose reverse. Many horror stories here....