Re: {Beneteau Owners} Re: Goiot Wheels For Sale

Sail...@aol.com

Oct 24, 2016, 5:40:03 PM10/24/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I have two Goiot Wheels that are for sale.   They were remove from my 50' and are in excellent condition, always covered, Dodger always up, removed and stored below in the winter.   Leather in excellentt condition

In a message dated 10/24/2016 5:25:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, skip...@tampabay.rr.com writes:

That depends how OCD you are. Given your description, I would not mess with it. I've used Turk's heads for years. To me, it's a personal decision.

On Oct 24, 2016 17:15, "Jim Martin" <ptl...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Now I'm starting to wonder if it's worth performing semi-major surgery just to make a wheel spoke top dead center. In reality, the only time the wheel is exactly straight up is when under power in calm conditions.

My top spoke is ~ 5 degrees off (on the wheel) from the Turk's head, which is currently properly positioned. Are many of you very concerned if your wheel(s)' spokes aren't perfectly aligned?

FWIW, our rudder quadrant is back inside the transom and can only be accessed through a small hatch located in the aft cabin or another small hatch located in the port storage locker. At 5"10" and 170 lbs., I can't fit myself through either hatch. I can barely get my head, shoulder and one arm through the hatch. To access the cable tensioning nuts I would have to use an 18-24" socket extension. Forget holding a wrench onto the back nut while turning the locking nut. If I drop anything I'm screwed. I'd have to hire a small child to retrieve said item, and there are probably laws against that.

Should I go for realigning the wheel or leave well enough alone?

Thanks,

Jim
into the mystic
Jeanneau SO 35

_ _

Jim Martin

Peachtree Laser, Inc.

404-352-2565

email: mailto:ptl...@bellsouth.net

website: peachtreelaser.com

On 10/12/2016 8:51 AM, Btbogdan46 wrote:

Pulling the wheel nut will not work. There is a key on the shaft. Although I have not done it, you would need to loosen the cables on the steering quadrant, then lift the chain off the spocket and realign the steering wheel. While at it, grease the chain and the steering cables.

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 5:19:49 PM UTC-4, ptl...@bellsouth.net wrote:

I'm about to install a new leather wheel cover and would like to realign the wheel so that one of the 5 spokes is top dead center. We have a Goiot 35.25" wheel on  our Jeanneau SO 35. Does anyone know if I merely need to loosen the hub nut to realign the hub, or do I need to access the chain, etc. The hub nut is behind the steering wheel cap, which is held on by 5 cap screws.

Sorry about asking this on the Beneteau list, but there is very little traffic on the Jeanneau lists, and after >20 years on this list and its precursors, I feel much more at home here.

Thanks,

Jim
into the mystic
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35

--

_ _

Jim Martin

Peachtree Laser, Inc.

404-352-2565

email: mailto:...@bellsouth.net

website: peachtreelaser.com

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Rick

Nov 12, 2016, 12:40:29 PM11/12/16
to Beneteau Owners
What size? Are the hubs included?