Re: {Beneteau Owners} Digest for beneteau-owners@googlegroups.com - 20 updates in 5 topics

sbr...@optonline.net

Sep 1, 2015, 7:25:56 AM9/1/15
to Digest recipients
B49 transmission

I have had my b49 for 3 seasons.   I had similar shifting issues. Had several yards and mechanics check linkage to no avail. Finally a yard manager adjusted one pin setting at the shifter.   Since then it has worked flawlessly. You might try that. I suspect original pin setting from factory was never right.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 3:22 AM
To: Digest recipients
Subject: {Beneteau Owners} Digest for benetea...@googlegroups.com - 20 updates in 5 topics

"Eugene Kharlamb" <ek...@usa.net>: Aug 31 06:42AM -0400

A boat sailed into our YC for a few days.. A couple, sailed over from Europe. All they had by the wheel was one IPAD in watertight casing and a really cool removable mount. I think they told me they used Navionics app.

Made mental note to look into it when considering upgrades. I use Samsung devices but I am sure it's all similar.

I wonder if u can bring NEMA and radar and autopilot data into a tablet via blue tooth or NFC and make it a smart display..

I can just imagine this set up

- 2 tablets on Navy station, on rotating mounts (landscape or portrait modes) and blue tooth keyboard on Navy station

-1 tablet in watertight casing by the wheel

diverse, cost effective, redundant system that can be used for navigation communication and entertainment while having a very small footprint and relatively inexpensive comparing to cost of the display heads.

From: Scott <jbi...@gmail.com <mailto:jbi...@gmail.com> >
To: Beneteau Owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1108** members and growing.

question
---
"Beneteau Owners" group.
email to beneteau-owne...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:beneteau-owne...@googlegroups.com> .

Largest Beneteau group, over **1108** members and growing.

question
---
"Beneteau Owners" group.
email to beneteau-owne...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:beneteau-owne...@googlegroups.com> .
"Eugene Kharlamb" <ek...@usa.net>: Aug 31 10:28AM -0400

Dan,

Can u please elaborate on the chartplotter issue in simpler terms...

I do not quite understand what you have done. Where in the chain power conditioner is located.

thank you

[...]

Mark Stillwell <dragon...@gmail.com>: Aug 31 09:39AM -0500

I have Navionics on my iPad and iPhone. Worked great on recent trips to BVI
and Tahiti.

Mark & Suzanne Stillwell
S/V Dragonfly II
Beneteau 393
573.819.0436

ejsa...@gmail.com: Aug 31 03:37PM -0700

We have used Navionics on our iPad and iPhone for years with a Bad Elf GPS. This enables us to save on data costs. We have the traditional Raymarine system in the cockpit, including AIS. That said, we also use Marine Traffic app to track ships.

Ed English
OBS

Sent from Ed's iPad

On Aug 31, 2015, at 3:42 AM, Eugene Kharlamb <ek...@usa.net> wrote:

[...]

Eugene,

You connect 12 VDC from your batteries to the input of the power conditioner and the output of the power conditioner (via a fuse) to your chart plotter(s). It’s that simple.

The power conditioner (see the attached info) will do two things: a) make sure the powered equipment is fed constant voltage (12.5V or 13.6V depending on the switch) and b) stop any voltage ‘ripples’ which may be in your DC system from affecting the chart plotter. According to my Raymarine dealer, chart plotters are sensitive to those ‘ripples’ in the DC voltage and unexpected things can and do happen. Whether or not they should be that sensitive is another question, but apparently that is the situation. Personally, I would have expected the chart plotters to have some sort of voltage conditioning circuit internally. I can not say if the problem is inherent to Raymarine product only, or even to E-series classic models only.

At first I was sceptical, but I also had this nagging problem where both my chart plotters (E80 at the helm and E120 at the nav station) would occasionally have their screens flicker to black and back, without actually rebooting the units themselves. This would also happen in the pen, when the boat was on shore power, so no question about low voltage as the dealer first suggested. After 8 months of my complaints, servicing the E120 twice with all kinds of boards replaced and what not and after I threatened legal action unless they gave me new replacement units under warranty, the dealer brought his own Intervolt unit and rigged it temporarily into the system. Much to my surprise (but apparently not his), the problems magically disappeared.

Today I have one 20 A Intervolt unit power both my chart plotters and another powering my DC fridge/freezer compressor. I use the 12.5 V setting. It was tempting to use the smaller and cheaper 10 A model, but some equipment (like fridge compressors) has higher inrush current and the 20 A model runs cooler and is apparently more efficient. Works like a charm. Btw, I have no vested interest in Intervolt and I’m sure there are other similar brands on the planet which will do the same thing.

Hope this helps you.

Fair winds,

Dan

Can u please elaborate on the chartplotter issue in simpler terms...

I do not quite understand what you have done. Where in the chain power conditioner is located.

thank you

I know this topic is more hot stove league stuff when lots of us have our boats on the hard, but I haven't seen an updated discussion for a while (if i missed this thread, pls let me know).

Since I always have my phone on board, and usually a PC and tablet, I am wondering if anyone has

1. connected PC to instruments?

2. Using tablet as backup (or primary) for nav, and if so what app you are using.

Also, any nav apps on PC. I still use my free copy of chart navigator I got from the power squadron for plotting and planning at home. I don't have it connected to any instruments, i don't think it is supported anymore, but i like doing things on my pc with a mouse rather than the tablet. the tablet oth has gps built in.

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1108** members and growing.

Largest Beneteau group, over **1108** members and growing.

Largest Beneteau group, over **1108** members and growing.

> MIME Type: application/pkcs7-signature

Largest Beneteau group, over **1108** members and growing.

*Update*

I found the pdf of the manual, *there is no anode.*

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/waterheaters/MPD%2093757%20PS%2011.19.07.pdf

I will be putting 4 gallons of vinegar and 2 gallons of water in it this
weekend and giving it a good 'cook'.

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com
+1 (508) 826 5607
www.linkedin.com/in/markwilme

Mark Stillwell <dragon...@gmail.com>: Aug 31 11:22AM -0500

If the vinegar solution doesn't work, you may want to shock it with
chlorine as when you de-winterize in the spring. Do a Google Search on
shock marine water tank for recommendations.

Mark & Suzanne Stillwell
S/V Dragonfly II
Beneteau 393
573.819.0436

Mark J Wilme <mark....@gmail.com>: Aug 31 12:24PM -0400

I thought we did that every spring, evidently not enough

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com
+1 (508) 826 5607
www.linkedin.com/in/markwilme

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Mark Stillwell <dragon...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Mark Stillwell <dragon...@gmail.com>: Aug 31 11:43AM -0500

I find the hot water begins to have that rotten egg smell in July or August
most years. When we run out of water in one tank, I add about 1/2 cup of
water and 10 gallon of water and run about 5 gallons through the hot water
line to the head sink. I let it sit 3-4 hours then flush with fresh water
2-3 times. I have two 60 gallon tanks, so I fill for about 5 minutes before
I flush. I'm guessing about 4 gallon/minute rate.

Mark & Suzanne Stillwell
S/V Dragonfly II
Beneteau 393
573.819.0436

bill wagner <wewag...@gmail.com>: Aug 31 03:28PM -0400

If I remember correctly, it is a rod that needs to be replaced. Get the
owners manual and it should be pretty obvious.
Bill

Mark J Wilme <mark....@gmail.com>: Aug 31 03:42PM -0400

I did thanks Bill, no anode on this model.
Bob Frew <rf...@snet.net>: Aug 31 07:52AM -0700

THe boat is 7 years old. Great Boat. We motor sailed to Newport at the
weekend, when we arrived we were looking for a mooring and put the
transmission in neutral. I could not get the transmission in forward. It
did not click in. after a while it did. Also when we arrived at Block the
same thing happened. I checked the linkages at the transmission and at the
lever. That was OK. Any ideas? Thanks, Bob
"Bill Jarvis" <bjar...@suddenlink.net>: Aug 31 11:43AM -0400

Bob,

When you say you checked the linkages at the tranny and at the shifter did you manually operate the linkage at the transmission? If so did it fully engage?

I have seen that sort of behavior when the clamp aound the outer part of the shift cable has become a little loose at one end or the other. The result is that part of the movement of the lever at the transmission is lost on moving the outer sheath of the cable and so the transmission sometimes does not get properly engaged.

Bill

From: Bob Frew <rf...@snet.net>
Date: 2015-08-31 10:52 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Beneteau Owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com>

THe boat is 7 years old. Great Boat. We motor sailed to Newport at the weekend, when we arrived we were looking for a mooring and put the transmission in neutral. I could not get the transmission in forward. It did not click in. after a while it did. Also when we arrived at Block the same thing happened. I checked the linkages at the transmission and at the lever. That was OK. Any ideas?  Thanks,  Bob

--

Largest Beneteau group, over **1108** members and growing.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

davidcfletcher <davidcf...@rogers.com>: Aug 31 09:52AM -0400

Take a long look at an Espar heater. They are safe, not too difficult to install.
They hydronic model will supply heat and hot water.
IMHO far better than a propane heater.

Sent from my Samsung device