Nav Instruments - strange behaviour

Eugene Kharlamb

Aug 31, 2015, 6:25:09 AM8/31/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I have 2 Gps charplotters, Garmin monochrome  on nav station and color SITEX by the wheel

One night last week, the screen on SITEX started blinking on and off.  Then it stopped blinking and remained.  I was preoccupied and didn't give it much thought that day.
Yesterday I went out again get some facts and here is what happened while sailing (engine off)...

As I turned SITEX on it started blinking with battery switch on BAT1
As I turned bat switch to ALL it started blinking faster at twice the rate
As I turned bat switch to BAT2 blinking rate became different from the previous two settings
As I turned on the engine all went back to normal.

I did this twice with identical results

Prior I noticed another 2 anomalies anomalies...

1. on occasion but not too often... my B&G1000 displays by the wheel would lose some data and showed nothing.  Wind speed, wing angle, SOG would display "--".  Not with any consistency or predictability.   I would restart the system and things went back to normal.

2.  With B&G at night I had to turn the light on one head and all lit displays up.  Now, SOMETIMES, they all go on and SOMETIMES I need to press the light button individually.

I just cannot tie all this together.  Perhaps someone can shed some light (pun intended)

thank you
Eugene

Brian Wessner

Aug 31, 2015, 7:55:42 AM8/31/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to download the guide for your specific Sitex unit. There appear to be a number of reasons for the unit blinking, including when the GPS data is not valid.

Brian
Toujours (First 405)

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1108** members and growing.

Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - Native American Proverb

davidcfletcher

Aug 31, 2015, 9:55:35 AM8/31/15
to Beneteau Group
It sounds to me like a low voltage situation.

Check the voltage at the instrument with the engine off and running.

A bad connection etc can be hidden by the increase in voltage from the alternator when the engine is  running.

Sent from my Samsung device

Sailor Parker

Sep 3, 2015, 1:48:08 PM9/3/15
to Beneteau Owners
Check the voltage on your alternator.  The regulator might be faulty and overcharging your batteries and equipment.