Re: {Beneteau Owners} Digest for beneteau-owners@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 4 topics

sbr...@optonline.net

Aug 12, 2015, 7:11:48 AM8/12/15
to Digest recipients
Tachometer
My tach and other gauges started to work intermittently to the point where I had to rely upon my SOG on my GPS to get a sense of how fast the engine was revving.   We found the ground on the back side of the engine was loose and the bolt stripped.   We connected it somewhere else on the engine block and now it works again.   Funny, the yard where I purchased the boat used charged me a good amount to make the same repair two seasons ago.    If they did it right then I surmise I wouldn't have had this problem now.

Stephen Breitstone
Stepping Stones
Huntington, Ny

B49. '08.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:24 AM
To: Digest recipients
Subject: {Beneteau Owners} Digest for benetea...@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 4 topics

c1gmlm <c1g...@aol.com>: Aug 11 11:06AM -0700

I noticed that my hour meter on the tach has stopped working. It is a
Perkins model. Is there an electrical wire that could have come loose? I
don't think think it is mechanical. We have an OC 400 .

Mike
"Gentle Presence"
1996 #168
Dan Barac <dan....@bigpond.com>: Aug 12 09:48AM +0800

I have Perkins Prima M50 with a VDO tach.

The hour meter has stopped working twice already and been repaired twice. The shop told me the problem was in plastic gears turning over the digits. Something breaks in there and the gears need to be replaced. The repairs cost me about $150 each time. It’s a bit of a worry because this VDO tach is now obsolete and can not be purchased anywhere. I have not found anything of that size and spec to fit in the available space.

Dan

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1104** members and growing.

Dan
Do you have any suggestions on calibration of the Prima tach.
I have installed a Balmar 6 series and serpentine belts. The ratio is now 3 to 1 and the tach reads a way too fast. My calculations had the oem ratio at 1.92
FLETCH

Sent from my Samsung device

From: Dan Barac <dan....@bigpond.com <mailto:dan....@bigpond.com> >
Date: 2015-08-11 21:48 (GMT-05:00)
To: benetea...@googlegroups.com <mailto:benetea...@googlegroups.com>

[...]

I need to replace the house batteries on my boat.

Does anybody on the list have experience with the Mastervolt AGM batteries? I note that the capacity of their 4D battery is listed at 160AH compared to 210AH for the Lifeline, the weight is also less.

Bill
Jeff Koch <jeff...@intersessions.com>: Aug 11 09:36AM -0400

Hi Bill:

I installed five MasterVolt AGM's on Avalon two summer's ago. They
charge fast and have withstood some terrible (non-intentional) abuse
we've given them. Winter before last I left a light on and they drained
down to 10 volts. And earlier this summer due to a failed leg in the
battery isolator one of them was overcharged at 16 volts for ten hours.

When we installed them we had to upgrade the engine charging system to a
multistage Balmar setup to meet the AGM's charging requirements. Do
forget to check the spec's on your battery isolator. We didn't. The
isolator was rated for 80 amps but the Balmar was able to push 110 amps
into the AGM house bank. That's how we burned out one of the diodes and
overcharged the AGM starting battery. The starting battery lived
through this mishap but the bow thruster lead-acid battery had to be
replaced.

We did a lot of research before buying the MasterVolts. I like them.

Jeff

On 8/11/2015 8:15 AM, Bill Jarvis wrote:
"Jeffrey Schwartz" <jeff...@comcast.net>: Aug 11 05:00PM -0400

Lifeline is the benchmark ... smaller batteries weigh less and have less power.

Jeffrey Schwartz

From: 'c1gmlm' via Beneteau Owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com>
Date: 2015-08-11 14:06 (GMT-05:00)
To: Beneteau Owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com>

I noticed that my hour meter on the tach has stopped working. It is a Perkins model. Is there an electrical wire that could have come loose? I don't think think it is mechanical. We have an OC 400 .
Mike "Gentle Presence"1996 #168

--

Largest Beneteau group, over **1104** members and growing.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Dragon...@aol.com: Aug 11 09:30AM -0400

I don't have experience with Mastervolt AGMs, but in batteries, for the
same group size, more (AH & weight) is always better.

Dean & Bonnie
s/v Dragonfly

B331 #214
/) /) /) /) /)
~~~~~~~~~~

In a message dated 8/11/2015 7:15:13 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
bjar...@suddenlink.net writes:

I need to replace the house batteries on my boat.
Does anybody on the list have experience with the Mastervolt AGM
batteries? I note that the capacity of their 4D battery is listed at 160AH compared
to 210AH for the Lifeline, the weight is also less.
Bill
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1104** members and growing.

list management question
---
"Beneteau Owners" group.
email to _beneteau-owne...@googlegroups.com_