FW: may 17 talk

Casey/Seneca Saw Works

May 9, 2008, 11:37:40 AM5/9/08
to Batavia Karters, Glen SCCA Info Only, Glen Solo Group, NYIce...@googlegroups.com, Vintage Ice Racers Group, SBD Group, SBD INFO

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenda Gephart [mailto:gle...@racingarchives.org]
Sent:
Friday, May 09, 2008 11:33 AM
To: Glenda Gephart at IMRRC
Subject: may 17 talk

Joel Finn to Discuss New Book

     WATKINS GLEN – Motorsports author Joel Finn will discuss his newest book, “American Road Racing: 1948-1950, The Sport Revived,” at the International Motor Racing Research Center on Saturday, May 17.

The free talk will be at 1 p.m. The talk is part of the Center’s on-going series, Center Conversations.

Finn will discuss the difficulties of researching and confirming the information that fills the 435 pages of the book.

The challenge, he says, is determining “what actually happened compared to what people think happened.”

“American Road Racing” has more than 600 historic photographs of the cars, drivers and events, many never before published, as well as extensive race results charts.

Races at Watkins Glen are, of course, a major component of the book.

Finn, of Roxbury, CT, has been a competitive driver in road racing for more than 50 years. He has written a number of highly-regarded histories of road racing, including “American Road Racing: The 1930s” and “Bridgehampton Racing: From the Streets to the Bridge.”

    Center Conversations is a free monthly talk series that takes listeners behind the scenes of motorsports. The talks are informal, and everyone is invited.

    The Center is located at 610 S. Decatur St., Watkins Glen. Call (607) 535-9044 for more information.

jim simson

May 9, 2008, 4:34:48 PM5/9/08
to Batavia...@googlegroups.com
Hi Casey:
Hope all is well.  Will we ever see you again at the track?  Hope you can come out some Sunday and race with us.

Jim

Casey

May 10, 2008, 9:45:03 AM5/10/08
to Batavia...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jim and everyone else,

Thanks for asking.

I am doing okay, but I do have a problem. So much automotive fun to be had and so little time.

I am still doing autocross, which I hope to wean myself of, but the folks at the Glen Region are really a great bunch to hang around with that it is hard to break away to do wheel to wheel. Of course I much prefer wheel to wheel even though I am a back marker on the track as opposed to doing real well with autocross. But I would truly rather be a back marker at wheel to wheel than out front at autocross.

Of course if I did much more wheel to wheel I might actually make it to the back of mid-pack.

Here is the other dilemma:

Cherry Valley has new ownership, a newly paved and enlarged track, and a kart shop on site. And even more important with time constraints and gas bills, Cherry Valley is only 50 miles door to door as opposed to 115 for Batavia.

But I do enjoy you folks too, so hopefully I can make it up to Batavia some time this season.

And I forgot, on top of all of that I design the courses for the autocrosses which makes each event a 2 day deal for me, and right now I am working on organizing an SCCA Rallycross in Dundee for May 31’st.

Busy, busy, busy.

I was hoping to come out to CV to see you folks when your series is there, but I think that may just be a bad date for me.

I’ll have to see what develops.

Keep up the good work,

Casey

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.</a