RAAM 2017 updates

Opendro

Jun 14, 2017, 12:34:03 AM6/14/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 14, 2017, 1:51:56 AM6/14/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Is the race staggered?

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Message has been deleted

Opendro

Jun 14, 2017, 2:32:39 AM6/14/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, ope...@gmail.com
My apologies. They are staggered!

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 11:59:38 AM UTC+5:30, Opendro wrote:
All Solo races are flagged off together.

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 11:21:56 AM UTC+5:30, Chidambaran S( Chiddu) wrote:
Is the race staggered?

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Opendro <ope...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 14, 2017, 2:37:17 AM6/14/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
The timings and locations of the three didn't match. That is why the question. Yes it must be staggered

Opendro

Jun 14, 2017, 4:26:09 AM6/14/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
200 miles in a 12:20 hours for Colonel Srini with an average speed of 16.1 mph. Wow! Amit is also at almost the same pace. Samim is also clocking 15.3 mph. Slightly delayed start for him compared to the other two.

Opendro

Jun 15, 2017, 1:39:19 AM6/15/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Going good for all three Solo riders.

Gaining elevation gradually...

Looks like Srini slept only for three hours! Amit is going super good. Samim is just a bit behind.

Amit and Srini are going at 320 miles per day pace. If they can sustain above 300 for three more days including the 11000 feet altitude, the second half will be without any pressure - just a little more than 200 miles per day. Not going to be easy with the climbs... fingers crossed. Wish them well.

Opendro

Jun 15, 2017, 1:43:26 AM6/15/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Amit stopped only for two hours! Wow!

Sayi RamaKrishna

Jun 15, 2017, 1:54:24 AM6/15/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I'm following too !
I'm amazed by the way Major Srinivas is riding. Way way ahead compared to last year. Day 1 completely spoke the amount of practise he must have done throughout the year.

Go on Major !!

and Cheers to the other riders too, they are clocking good mileage

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 15, 2017, 5:08:53 AM6/15/17
to Sayi RamaKrishna, Bangalore Bikers Club
What is the number in the middle of the map. That number does not equal the miles listed in the right column

Karthick Gururaj

Jun 15, 2017, 6:41:21 AM6/15/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Sayi RamaKrishna, Bangalore Bikers Club
It looks like it is the sum of line segments between update points (the blue lines).

Opendro

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 16, 2017, 6:14:53 AM6/16/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Route mile (on the right) 696.9
Center number is 558

seeboth.png

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 16, 2017, 6:22:36 AM6/16/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Its his jersey number porbably

Opendro

Jun 16, 2017, 11:34:43 AM6/16/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Yes. That is the bib number.

Opendro

Jun 16, 2017, 11:43:00 AM6/16/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Samim has not moved in the last 12 hours. Anyone has news on him?

Jagannath Moorthy

Opendro

Jun 16, 2017, 2:06:32 PM6/16/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Major has gained more than 12 hours in the Kayenta TS (767 miles). He seem to be taking good regular sleep (3 hours sleep plus 25 hours ride). He might need a little longer sleep than that in later point. But it looks all good.

Amit is rocking totally. He is riding like a Pro - hardly 2 hours sleep every day and very good pace. Nice to see someone doing so great in the first attempt itself. http://amitsamarth.org/ says that he will be the first Indian to finish RAAM solo! That is the spirit! I love that line - the sound of "I know what I'm doing" :-)

Wish both these two all the very best to bring a double party back home for us - the cycling fans.

Opendro

Jun 17, 2017, 7:18:44 PM6/17/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Both Amit and Srini are at 9000 plus get elevation. Climbing at very steady pace. Saving the legs I suppose.

Amit has overtaken Seana the fast lady whom he crewed last year. That shows his level of effort and standing in the race now. Awesome!

Sayi RamaKrishna

Jun 18, 2017, 4:12:14 AM6/18/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Amit Samarth's wife and mother are in his Crew !!!!! Isn't it just wondeful, when whole family shares your dream :)
He looks energetic in the video posted on RAAM's official page in Facebook.

Opendro

Jun 19, 2017, 1:35:02 AM6/19/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Both of them are done with the altitudes. No more shievering chillness from here on. Temperatures in day depends on specific day.

Wind will still be a challenge. Major is right now in Springfield, Colorado. Thankfully, the wind is crosswind now, not headwind - crazy speeds though, 32 kmph gusts.

Major's daily mileage dropped to 240s and now is back to 250s with some gradual downslope ahead for some good distance. Toughest climbs are yet to come - in West Virginia. He has to create some good buffer for that or his legs would probably become rock solid by then. Before that, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio too have crazy successive small ups and downs. A typical Missouri road is like this https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6fdCLf5I6p4/WCgf6jwi4QI/AAAAAAAAIV4/y8hN7WLl2RcvYRtim2IvsLDqItHkztAWQCEw/s1600/IMG_20160623_105913.jpg Each hump has nasty gradient.

You can analyze the full elevation profiles here : https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22276290

Amit is closer to top 10 finish. Crazy thing about RAAM is that one can still finish last and yet be in top 10 :-)

Opendro

Jun 19, 2017, 3:02:12 AM6/19/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
If you want to compare Major's last year and this year progress, it is last years : http://trackleaders.com/raam16i.php?name=Srinivas_Gokulnath

He reached his current TS Walsh in 5d23h07m whereas he reached in 5d10h32m this time. So, he has gained more than 12 hours. He has to gain some more, a least average 260 miles per day at the end of Illinois to be completely out of pressure. I think, he will gain enough in Kansas.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 19, 2017, 4:54:50 AM6/19/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Amit Samarth's crew includes his mother, who cooks his food in the support vehicle.

Open you had food issues. Samim had food issues in his first sojourn in RAAM.

*This aspect* might be key here. Amit deciding to have 'home-style' food from his support vehicle.

Venky

Jun 19, 2017, 5:26:21 AM6/19/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Agree that food is a key aspect but other things like Amit's move to Colorado for the last 2-3 months in preparation to get used to high altitude and climbing also play a major role.

Glad to see both of them doing well. Hope Srini picks up the rhythm and moves into more solid ground.
--
Cheers,
Venky

Opendro

Jun 19, 2017, 6:09:17 AM6/19/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Yeah, I know how tough it is to cycle in a country that does not provide chicken biriyani :-)

If food is well taken care of, 400 km a day is a reasonable asking rate from any decent cyclist on tarmac on any weather condition.

Altitude can also be a problem for people living at sea level. Not for Bangaloreas. Nandi itself is at about 5000 feet above sea level. There is a reason why Bangalore runners clock their PB elsewhere in marathons.

More than 4000 meters, it will start bothering Bangaloreans too. RAAM or TransAm goes beyond 8000 feet only for s short while, may be about 300 miles max in the entire stretch. First half stays around 5000 feet for a good amount of time.

But nights there are much colder because of the latitude, which shouldn't be a problem for a cyclist ;-) Heat is a greater challenge.

Opendro

Jun 19, 2017, 6:58:15 AM6/19/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, chi...@gmail.com, ope...@gmail.com
Lord, I don't know how much his move to Colorado would have helped. But there is one remarkable thing in his ride that keeps a bit ahead of Major - that is his ability to ride with lesser stops. Amit is riding like a pro in sleep/stop department. I'm not suggesting that Major should do that. Sleep is something very individual specific. Major is doing what works perfectly well for him, I think. Amit has stopped for almost 4 hours now. He should be moving soon again.

Surprising that no one was willing to bet on my first post - the first Indian RAAM solo finisher is going to be from this year's race. Are are people just being afraid of sounding negative here? Considering the many failed attempts earlier, I thought people were going to take the bait LOL

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 4:48:44 AM UTC+5:30, Opendro wrote:
Both Amit and Srini are at 9000 plus get elevation. Climbing at very steady pace. Saving the legs I suppose.

Amit has overtaken Seana the fast lady whom he crewed last year. That shows his level of effort and standing in the race now. Awesome!

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Cheers,
Venky
bvcoaching.in

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 19, 2017, 7:28:18 AM6/19/17
to Venky, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
That too venky. Whole heartedly agree. But I was talking about stomach issues -- Open in particular did not get used to the local diet at all.

Raam is even more intense.

Venky

Jun 19, 2017, 9:03:35 AM6/19/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club, S Chidambaran
Even before the race started, I had no doubt in my mind that the first Indian solo finisher is going to be from this year's participants. So, how can I bet against that? :)

Cheers,
Venky
bvcoaching.in

Opendro

Jun 19, 2017, 9:23:43 AM6/19/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Major is hammering at 18 mph continuously! Per day mileage climbs to 256+ now!

Opendro

Jun 19, 2017, 12:32:07 PM6/19/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Major is back to 260 miles per day. Just 50 miles short from half way with just 2 hours left from half time. Touch and go for now. The next couple of days are going to be even more crucial for him.

Opendro

Jun 20, 2017, 1:10:37 AM6/20/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Major has just reached Wichita in 6:08:35 whereas he reached the same place in 7:03:26. He has gained 19 hours compared to last year. He ran short of one day last year.

Some more part to be done in Kansas. He can cover this in a ziffy being a night ride on flat. He can again gain some more pace in Illinois. He has to do 270 miles per day by the end of Illinois, not 260. I miscalculated this not taking into account the additional 144 miles after 3000. Last day in Maryland can again can be covered at faster pace. Missouri, Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia need to be tackled carefully - too many ups and downs. It is going to be a thrilling finish. Come on Major.

Amit is at a perfect pace to the finish.

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 10:04:03 AM UTC+5:30, Opendro wrote:
Is betting allowed in BBC? :-P I'm betting on the first Indian RAAM finisher to be from this year race.

Opendro

Jun 20, 2017, 1:19:59 AM6/20/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Just to give everyone a picture of the elevation in West Virginia, the total gain over about 250 miles there is nearly 25,000 feet. Appalachian mountain continues beyond West Virginia.

Macks Ningombam

Jun 20, 2017, 2:52:43 AM6/20/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Opendro for the updates and additional tidbits.
Very helpful.
Keep it coming.

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Aravind M S

Jun 20, 2017, 6:00:01 AM6/20/17
to Macks Ningombam, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
+1

Opendro

Jun 20, 2017, 1:22:32 PM6/20/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Why is Major's status showing as DNF even though he is moving.

Venky

Jun 20, 2017, 8:29:42 PM6/20/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
It is showing as active, Open! It is close but he's continuing to push.

Screenshot_20170621-055754.png

O p e n d r o

Jun 20, 2017, 8:39:09 PM6/20/17
to Venky Bikey, Bangalore Bikers Club
It was showing DNF for a while. Some system problem at RAAM. I'm quite positive that he didn't quit. I was worried about anything else that forced him that status.

It is going to be tough to average 260 from now on except in Illinois unless one is good in climbing. Fingers crossed.

Opendro

Jun 21, 2017, 2:13:21 AM6/21/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I think, we need to show some noise which the crews can pass on so as to motivate him. 260 is the asking rate from now (1180 miles in 4.5 days). Tough, but very much within target. I'm expecting that he will up the average till the end of Illinois. After that, it has to be a big push till the end of Appalachian mountains. From there, all downhill.

Ali Poonawala

Jun 21, 2017, 3:00:18 AM6/21/17
to Opendro, Sharath Chandar
i apologize for just reading your great updates and leaving at that..Will do the cheering on his page !

Ali Poonawala
Bangalore

Pradeep Naidu

Jun 21, 2017, 3:21:44 AM6/21/17
to Ali Poonawala, Bangalore Bikers Club, Opendro
Same here..  I wish Major all the luck in the world and finish the race...

Venky

Jun 21, 2017, 4:55:17 AM6/21/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Amit and Srini are quite close together now! Srini had made good ground and the next couple of days is quite crutial for both!
--
Cheers,
Venky

Opendro

Jun 21, 2017, 5:58:00 AM6/21/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, ope...@gmail.com
True. Required rate is now down to 255 miles per day. 4:10:24 remaining for 1120 miles. Keeping roughly 260 per day for next two days and the last day, 340 miles in about 1 and a half days in Appalachian Mountains. Looking quite good now.

Major has covered up the ground pretty good.

Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Cheers,
Venky
bvcoaching.in

Opendro

Jun 21, 2017, 6:04:41 AM6/21/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Amit's speed/time plot is showing a lot of small stops recently. My guess is that he is struggling with drowsiness, because when he is on the saddle, his speed is decent.

Prashanth M

Jun 21, 2017, 6:07:12 AM6/21/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Major has closed the gap between him and Doc - gap is less than 10 miles now.

sandeep shet

Jun 21, 2017, 6:11:55 AM6/21/17
to Prashanth M, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Wish both Major and Amit complete the race this time,
Major was way behind, looks like he is covering ground really quickly.
All the best guys.
--
Regards,
Sandeep Shet

Prashanth M

Jun 21, 2017, 9:17:05 AM6/21/17
to sandeep shet, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Where can we see the cut-off time for each of the time stations?

Opendro

Jun 21, 2017, 9:56:33 AM6/21/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, sandeep...@gmail.com, ope...@gmail.com
For Solo Male is as below:

Checkpoint Times for Solo Male Racers TS Location Elapsed Time Cutoff 15 Durango, CO Start + 81 Hours Friday, June 17, 2016, 24:00 (Midnight) EDT 35 Mississippi River Start + 192 Hours Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 15:00 EDT 52 Mt. Airy, MD Start + 283 Hours Sunday, June 26, 2016, 10:00 EDT 55 City Dock, Annapolis, MD Start + 288 Hours Sunday, June 26, 2016, 15:00 EDT

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 22, 2017, 4:24:36 AM6/22/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club, sandeep shet
Srini has gone ahead of Samarth now!

Opendro

Jun 22, 2017, 4:38:34 AM6/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
They are together now. Stopped time for both of them are also equal now. So, they should be equally fresh/tired and at the same distance... we can expect them to finish almost the same time.

Current mileage is 269 per day. 857 miles to go in 3 and a half days. That is just 244 miles per day. We can now assume that they will be home safely.

Aravind M S

Jun 22, 2017, 4:40:58 AM6/22/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Wow!! That would be fantastic.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 22, 2017, 4:43:49 AM6/22/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Live tracker shows that Srini is about .8 miles ahead.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 22, 2017, 4:44:22 AM6/22/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
One climb, rest of the course is more or less flat now. Don't know about headwinds.

Opendro

Jun 22, 2017, 4:44:45 AM6/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Yeah. Two RAAM Solo finishers from India for a single year - this will be a new chapter in Indian endurance cycling.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 22, 2017, 4:46:37 AM6/22/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Both are Doctors, just a coincidence :)

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 22, 2017, 4:47:29 AM6/22/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
See this guy too.

Amazing.

Opendro

Jun 22, 2017, 5:00:12 AM6/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
One climb! That is a killer climb! West Virginia is the toughest section in this race. Of the remaining 857 miles, half of it will be super tiring and clocking good mileage will be tough.

I saw https://www.andrekajlich.com/raam/ earlier. I didn't think seriously about his chances of RAAM. Man! He is just 40 miles behind Major. Unbelievable!

Opendro

Jun 22, 2017, 5:10:46 AM6/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Just to give a picture of the climbs - they have covered about 2280 miles so far and done about 85k feet total elevation gain.

They have to do about 50k feet total elevation gain in the remaining about 860 miles. That is called "rolling terrain" :-D

berkeleydb

Jun 22, 2017, 5:17:30 AM6/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Awesome to "catch up" :) on the updates & analysis. Thanks Open & others.

But thanks most to Srini & Amit (& Samim) for their spirit. Best wishes to Sirni & Amit for a safe & strong finish. (Samim -- best wishes for next time.)

-{db}.

Macks Ningombam

Jun 22, 2017, 5:25:54 AM6/22/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club, sandeep shet
Christoph Strasser from Austria finished and topped this year's solo RAAM in 8d9hrs.
He is also the all time Solo man record holder at 7d15hrs from his 2014 RAAM.

Opendro

Jun 22, 2017, 11:50:24 AM6/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Major is just 2 miles short of being in 10th position in Solo. At the rate he is going, he will catch up with the 9th guy also by tomorrow and with the 8th and 7th guys probably day after tomorrow. He is on a roll.

Just another 750 miles to be done in 3:4:29 minutes. That is hardly 237 miles per day. Looks like he is in a big hurry to the finish! Come on Majjor! Rock it.

Ali Poonawala

Jun 22, 2017, 11:58:04 AM6/22/17
to Opendro, Sharath Chandar
This is incredible..I thought he was almost DNF 3 days ago..Now he is shooting for podium !

Respects !!

Ali Poonawala
Bangalore

On 22 Jun 2017 21:20, "Opendro" <ope...@gmail.com> wrote:
Major is just 2 miles short of being in 10th position in Solo. At the rate he is going, he will catch up with the 9th guy also by tomorrow and with the 8th and 7th guys probably day after tomorrow. He is on a roll.

Just another 750 miles to be done in 3:4:29 minutes. That is hardly 237 miles per day. Looks like he is in a big hurry to the finish! Come on Majjor! Rock it.

Jayaprakash E

Jun 22, 2017, 12:58:11 PM6/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I was worried when major was behind schedule for T15 & T35. He gradually picked up the pace. Hope both Major and Amit will complete it. Sahyadri cyclists too doing well. They may need to aceelerate some more to complete it.

Jayaprakash E

Jun 22, 2017, 1:40:59 PM6/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Solo cut off is Sunday, June 25, 2017, 3pm EDT and team cut off is Monday, June 26, 2017, 3pm EDT. Major, Amit and Sahyadri cyclists seems good to close it.

Sameer Shisodia

Jun 22, 2017, 3:28:49 PM6/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
This has been just fantastic to follow!!!

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Jayaprakash E <jaya...@gmail.com> wrote:
Solo cut off is Sunday, June 25, 2017, 3pm EDT and team cut off is Monday, June 26, 2017, 3pm EDT. Major, Amit and Sahyadri cyclists seems good to close it.

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Sameer Shisodia, Bangalore
http://linger.in

Opendro

Jun 23, 2017, 12:37:28 AM6/23/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Major and Amit are guaranteed to finish in time, may even have 4 to 6 hours spare time. Asking rate is just 240 miles per day. Out of the remaining 630 miles, last 250 to 300 will be a ziffy. So, They have to endure only the next 350 miles.

Prashanth Chengi

Jun 23, 2017, 12:42:47 AM6/23/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Will truly be a historic moment when they cross the finish line. Keeping my fingers crossed for them, and wishing them we'll!

/Prashanth

Opendro

Jun 23, 2017, 6:45:57 AM6/23/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Major just overtook the 10th Solo. He is 30 miles behind the 9th guy and 42 miles behind the first woman.

Venky

Jun 23, 2017, 6:53:24 AM6/23/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
It is great following their journey and seeing how they are dealing with the pressure and making progress.

Prashanth mentioned that for TransAm, the need of strong mental abilities far outweigh the physical strength. Same holds true for RAAM in a way but the physical ability too plays a big role considering the tight deadlines /cut off times.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 23, 2017, 7:00:28 AM6/23/17
to Venky, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
RAAM under 50 he is 7th. Amit is 9th currently. 480 and 530 miles left for them respectively.  When is the cut off time?

Venky

Jun 23, 2017, 7:02:52 AM6/23/17
to S Chidambaran, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Sunday, 2 pm EDT, I think.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 23, 2017, 7:12:01 AM6/23/17
to Venky, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Close to 60 hours left now. I am hoping he can jump 2 positions ahead as well.
Bon chance to both of them!

Prashanth M

Jun 23, 2017, 8:50:18 AM6/23/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Major is well on target for the finish within the stipulated time - projected timing 11 days 16hrs.

Amit has slowed down considerably - race projection says his projected timing is 11 days 22hrs, just 2hrs under the 12 day deadline. He has to pick up some speed.

Opendro

Jun 23, 2017, 9:00:43 AM6/23/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Just click on the last dot in an individual tracking (that is the one with bib) and you will know when that dot was recorded, e.g. 5 mins ago, 9:12:45 since start.

Each rider is allotted 288 hours in Men solo below 50 years of age.

On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 4:32:52 PM UTC+5:30, BikeyVenky wrote:
Sunday, 2 pm EDT, I think.

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 9:20:24 PM UTC+5:30, Opendro wrote:
Major is just 2 miles short of being in 10th position in Solo. At the rate he is going, he will catch up with the 9th guy also by tomorrow and with the 8th and 7th guys probably day after tomorrow. He is on a roll.

Just another 750 miles to be done in 3:4:29 minutes. That is hardly 237 miles per day. Looks like he is in a big hurry to the finish! Come on Majjor! Rock it.

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Opendro

Jun 23, 2017, 9:08:58 AM6/23/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
On the physical ability part, if one is just within the target limit, say, can do 260 miles a day at best, then it is pressure, pressure all the time and a small variation in weather, health or anything will finish the race.

On the contrary, if one's ability is a well above the 420 km per day target, then he can always save and ride or create buffer and be safe.

The pace is brutal for most average endurance athletes. Anyone above average should be able to do it fairly easier, i.e. sure to finish at the least. I visualize this like this : 25 kmph on the saddle average for 18 hours per day on saddle, 4 hours of sleep and 2 hours of food, freshen up, stretches. How long can you do is the question.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 23, 2017, 9:49:30 AM6/23/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Srini is 30 miles behind the guy ahead now.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 23, 2017, 9:49:38 AM6/23/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Well ahead of Samarth

Opendro

Jun 23, 2017, 10:25:56 AM6/23/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Srini will again go to sleep and Amit will catch up.

Bet - who will finish first? :-)

Assuming 250 miles per day for the remaining distance, Major will need two more sleeps and Amit can do with one sleep and push for a finish, in which case both of them will finish together. If Amit cannot push with just one sleep, which is more likely scenario, Major will finish first. Even if Amit pushes with one sleep, his average might drop towards the end due to lack of sleep.

My bet is that Srini will finish a couple of hours ahead of Amit. Srini will finish sparing 4 to 6 hours. Amit will finish sparing 2 to 4 hours.
Well ahead of Samarth

Sayi RamaKrishna

Jun 23, 2017, 4:01:18 PM6/23/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
747 Km to be completed in 49 hours. That was nearly down to a brevet average of 15.24 kmph. So the second part of bliss in the hills at US :P
This gives me confidence that he can definitely do it.

Opendro

Jun 23, 2017, 7:41:22 PM6/23/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Srini woke up after 4 hours of sleep and has started riding. Amit is just 7 miles ahead of Srini. Both are riding with equal strength and equal sleep cycles with slight offset. Only 435 miles. Srini will sleep one more time after about 235 miles and the last 207 miles will be a comfortable finish. Amit can also do with just only more sleep I think. They might do a photo finish :-)

Opendro

Jun 23, 2017, 7:46:16 PM6/23/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Actually, Amit never slept for 4 hours at any point of time. His naps ranges from 30 mins to 2 hours, max 3 hours in more frequent intervals. In that sense, he will need three such naps which will translate to 6 hours of stop.

Opendro

Jun 24, 2017, 4:49:17 AM6/24/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Major in full throttle. Just another 330 miles in a little less than 1.5 days. Very comfortable finish for him.

Macks Ningombam

Jun 24, 2017, 4:57:39 AM6/24/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, Opendro
Just wow!!

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 at 2:19 PM, Opendro <ope...@gmail.com> wrote:
Major in full throttle. Just another 330 miles in a little less than 1.5 days. Very comfortable finish for him.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 24, 2017, 9:46:53 AM6/24/17
to Macks Ningombam, Bangalore Bikers Club, Opendro
Amit Samarth has 385km to go and Colonel Srinivas Gokulnath has about 334km to go. They are well on track to become the 1st Indians to complete RAAM (Race across America)

That should be 15 hours of biking max, with the adrenalin rush at the end, they should make it by mid-day Indian time tomorrow (Sunday)

This is serious history in the making.

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Macks Ningombam <nin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just wow!!

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 at 2:19 PM, Opendro <ope...@gmail.com> wrote:
Major in full throttle. Just another 330 miles in a little less than 1.5 days. Very comfortable finish for him.

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Opendro

Opendro

Jun 24, 2017, 12:13:53 PM6/24/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, nin...@gmail.com, ope...@gmail.com
That remaining 411 km has more than 15000 feet elevation gain. Not too bad, but still not something you can rush through easily.

About making history - oh yes! I have been dying to see Indians finish RAAM specially considering that we have been attempting every year. It had been long overdue. I'm so happy that it feels as if I finished RAAM :-)

Chidambaran Subramanian

suman paul

Jun 25, 2017, 3:27:47 AM6/25/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Macks Ningombam, Thoudam Opendro Singh, Bangalore Bikers Club

Live streaming :

Srini is looking so strong. Just couple of more hours and history will be made.

thank you & regards

suman

Opendro

Jun 25, 2017, 6:10:55 AM6/25/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
68 more miles and he will soon overtake the lead woman rider. He will be 9th overall finisher. That is what I call double sweet finish for his last yea years upset. 8pm finish it will be sorting sparing more than 5 hours just as I expected. Amit will also have a couple of hours to spare.

Opendro

Jun 25, 2017, 7:07:36 AM6/25/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Let me stick my neck out and say that we all owe a big one to both Major and Amit for showing how to do RAAM. I still have fresh memories of arguments here when people thought that RAAM is for the strongest and fastest people. It is a tough race, but something very realistic for any above average endurance athletes. One does not need to be State or national champion to do RAAM.

When both Srini and I failed to make the cut last year, him in RAAM and me in Trans Am, I was upset and I had to swallow my pride even with the excuse that I was not well at all even before the start.

And now, these two heroes are the torchbearers for any wannabe endurance racers. I'm happy that these two are the ones who accomplished the mission because they are not the top cyclists even in local races. That helps more in the inspirational quotient and brings more faith in ourselves.

This is not to take away the hardships and determination of the two guys. Hardships are anyway part of any endurance race.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 25, 2017, 7:17:23 AM6/25/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Opendro, you failed because you couldn't figure out how to manage nutrition. America is the land of junk food, and you didn't know how to navigate it, esp for a self supported ride

Regards
Chiddu

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 25, 2017, 7:19:35 AM6/25/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
You did not fail though. You completed it in 28 days (Sorry I didn't mean to use your words against you).

We can discuss you later but I think Srini did the right thing last year by riding the entire course and prepare better for this year. Srini is a pretty strong rider, and he must have become stronger during preparation for RAAM

Parag

Jun 25, 2017, 8:37:08 AM6/25/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, ope...@gmail.com, Chidambaran Subramanian
Opendro: You have inspired a lot of us with your starts and finishes, in the Longer Brevets (1000,1200, Bliss In the Hills),I was lucky to be there at most of the events for the start and end and your Trans AM was another finish for me, the time does not matter that much.
Great that Srini and Amit will both finish this year. Srini at 3105 is still 20 Mi ahead of Amit at 3086.

And Thanks for keeping us updated on their (and Prashants) progress.

suman paul

Jun 25, 2017, 8:42:34 AM6/25/17
to Parag, Bangalore Bikers Club, ope...@gmail.com, Chidambaran Subramanian

Now for Srini & Amit, it must be a distance till finish line is something like Shoolagiri to SilkBoard !

thank you & regards

suman

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Parag Patankar

Jun 25, 2017, 8:48:52 AM6/25/17
to suman paul, Bangalore Bikers Club, O p e n d r o, Chidambaran Subramanian
Srini is less than a Mile behind Sarah Cooper, she is also riding strong, but I think Srini will be able to pass her in the next few minutes, and 32 Miles still left to the end point.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 25, 2017, 8:59:42 AM6/25/17
to Parag Patankar, suman paul, Bangalore Bikers Club, O p e n d r o
Srini is biking at 17mph average right now. At this rate 8 pm finish will happen

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 25, 2017, 9:02:46 AM6/25/17
to Parag Patankar, suman paul, Bangalore Bikers Club, O p e n d r o
Given his health issues , Open did very well to complete Trans am, but as I mentioned earlier another discussion for another time. We can fight later.

For now, Srini has less than 30 miles to go.

And I might have a connection to Amit. He might have been my mother in law's student

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 25, 2017, 9:12:22 AM6/25/17
to Parag Patankar, suman paul, Bangalore Bikers Club, O p e n d r o, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Srini is less than 40km now, about the distance from Hosur to BTM, possibly easier in the US. I am rooting for him to finish before 8 pm

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 25, 2017, 9:27:29 AM6/25/17
to Parag Patankar, suman paul, Bangalore Bikers Club, O p e n d r o, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
21 miles left for Srini. He is poised to be the 1st. If only there is someway we can cheer him from here.

Parag Patankar

Jun 25, 2017, 9:28:19 AM6/25/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, suman paul, Bangalore Bikers Club, O p e n d r o, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Might be a photo finish with Sarah--she is riding very strong, and has kept the slight lead over Srini in the last 10 miles.
Srini just overtook Team Velo.

Go Srini !

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 25, 2017, 9:31:38 AM6/25/17
to Parag Patankar, suman paul, Bangalore Bikers Club, O p e n d r o, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
Sarah is 1.4 miles ahead of him
It is loading more messages.