Old photos of Cycling -

Praveen M

May 2, 2018, 9:09:00 AM5/2/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hello all,

here is a link to a blog post about cycling tours in the late 70s/80s/90s in Mysuru.

http://praveenmys.blogspot.de/2012/03/back-to-basics-old-photos-of-cycling.html

Its an old post. Just fixed the formatting ( I use computers with 3 different language operating systems, 2 different OSs and may different browsers), so spellcheck, formatting and such things screw up often). Hope it is fixed now.

Anyway, it was never posted here, so....

Karthikeyan B

May 2, 2018, 1:09:04 PM5/2/18
to Praveen M, Bangalore Bikers Club
Wowww!

Thanks for sharing. Saw the pictures and cycles and read through the titles. Nostalgic.
Will read through it fully and get back.

I assume , you are not part of the tour..

Best Regards
Karthik

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

Karthikeyan B

May 2, 2018, 1:11:40 PM5/2/18
to Praveen M, Bangalore Bikers Club
Apologies...
So, you are part of that bicycle tour.... it's your blog.

Inspiring sir!

just thought to share some old photos of bicycle tour we did and these might bring back your own memories or give you a glimpse of the old times.

berkeleydb

May 2, 2018, 1:44:35 PM5/2/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Wow... What a piece of cycling history. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

-{db}.

Praveen M

May 3, 2018, 4:21:54 AM5/3/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I was not part of all the tours, you are partially correct. This post has been updated over the course of couple of years.

And then re-released here like an old movie re-release :-)).

Vinod Raja

May 3, 2018, 8:07:11 AM5/3/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Praveen, Your pictures reminded me of the save western ghats march flagged off by the legendary writer and activist Shivaram Karanth Ji from Talkaveri in the late 80's . Thanks so much for this wonderful post invoking those days.

 I like your quote and completely agree with you and do have the same thoughts when I am cycling. - Quoting you-  Our main focus was always nature and not on cycling. Bicycle was only a vehicle to take us near the forests, rivers, mist covered hills and valleys.
thanks again for the inspiring words.

warm regards
Vinod

Amar

May 3, 2018, 11:14:28 AM5/3/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Lovely Cycling Pics - So Pure only Nature & Cycle with no frills attached

Solid Steel Single Speed cycles with no major moving gears and accesories

Super Stamina and Raw Muscle Power moves these solid machines

I had an Atlas SLR cycle with wire brakes in School during 90's gifted by my Dad on my birthday when I turned 13 yrs

First stint with freedom was priceless

Thanks for taking me down memory lane

Cheers
Amar

Praveen M

May 3, 2018, 4:03:12 PM5/3/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thank you everyone (also to those who commented in the blog). There is no better reward than to hear that this post evokes appreciation towards nature, makes you bike more and takes you down the memory lane.

@Vinod, I remember the event by Dr. Karanth. Him, Tejaswi (Kuvempu's son) and some of their contemporaries were extraordinary people. It is really very saddening to see the current state of Western ghats.

@Amar: when you talk of stamina and raw muscle power, no one would beat Vadiraj (the tall lean guy in red T-shirt). He was an amazing sportsman. If he had the exposure, he could do any of the ultra endurance events. He is crazy and super strong, even in his 50s.

Last December when I met him, he said one interesting thing. He travels often to Delhi/North India on work and sometimes he takes a late return flight to Bangalore. And it seems, he always carries shorts/t-shirt in the backpack and changes clothes at Devanahalli airport and runs home to J.P.Nagar 7th phase in the night all the way from the airport with backpack and reaches home early in the morning! Hard to believe!