shelf life of tyre tubes?

berkeleydb

Nov 26, 2016, 9:44:51 AM11/26/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Recently I used a "new" tube which was lying around with me for many months. (6-12months.) I had_not had punctures in a long time, so that tube was just siting around in the original carton packing. I would carry it in my panniers, on all my rides.

On the first ride itself, the tube developed a slow puncture. Checked with the mechanic at RR Cycles, if it was due to the age of the tube. He felt that was the case.

So wondering what the shelf life of tyre tubes. Wondering if I should swap unused tubes after couple of months. (store can use it asap, without any ethical issues, I suppose. :))

-{db}.

Opendro

Nov 28, 2016, 12:33:18 AM11/28/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I use tubes years old on my shelf. I also use the very old tubes on the bike itself. They last really really long.

Having said that, there will be a life definitely. But I don't think you need to worry for 2 or 3 years at least (from my experience).

somshekar kadam

Nov 28, 2016, 1:24:03 AM11/28/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club, Somshekar Kadam
Hi,
Planning to buy bicycle MTB for wife and daughter, wife is 5 4''. I am looking for 21 speed, with suspension, if possible disc brake.
This will be used by both wife and duaghter.
checked the Montra Helican its 1-2 inch high for wife, and main thing its available only in Men, its a nice bicycle, so need to drop it.
Will look for Btwin options next week,
Also I am looking if I get a good deal on used bicycle MTB,
Any suggestions/corrections please let me know.
My mobile number is 9036660538

Regards Neelu

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Jagannath Moorthy

Chidambaran Subramanian

Nov 28, 2016, 1:32:56 AM11/28/16
to Jagannath Moorthy, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Probably will.

Opendro

Nov 28, 2016, 1:35:11 AM11/28/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Pressure is sustained by the tire, not the tube. As long as the tire blows up like balloon or unless you are fitting an undersized tube inside an oversized tire, strength of the patch does not matter.

Width of the patch does not depend on the size of the tube. It has to do with quality of the patching. If you are confident of patching efficiently with smaller glue area, you can reduce the size of the patch. Larger patch makes up for some inefficiency. Otherwise, you should be able to cut and patch. Normally, I don't cut. It almost wraps around the road tube.

somshekar kadam

Nov 28, 2016, 5:22:54 AM11/28/16
to somshekar kadam, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi All,
latest checked at RR cycles Mathikere
1. Fantom Gloria 21 speed, but its bit heavy not like alloy 6061, its mixed alloy, price INR 13500, no quick release, this is Hybrid
2. Montra 21 speed, alloy frame, disc brake, quick release price INR 19900, this is MTB
3. Hero Spring/Sprint 21speed INR 12500, alloy frame. This is not from Indian Hero, it was told to me this is from Sri Lanka make name is Hero, this is MTB

Do I need to check Btwin for 21 speed or the above are best priced.

selected above as the height and frame suiting my wife/daughter is perfect, other

all are medium size.
All have basic Shimano gear, except for Montra has bit higher version dont remember it now.

Liked the Gloria for sitting posture, Montra and Hero for the frame,

So considering for atleast 2 to 3 years to use this, which you suggest or propose.

Please let me know your thoughts or comparison keeping in mind lower budget side.
One more time if anybody is selling used bicycle pls let me know.

Regards Neelu

Opendro

Nov 29, 2016, 12:18:14 AM11/29/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
The reason I hate Decathlon entry level bikes is their tires. They have so retarded rolling because of the tread pattern, except the MyBike 7s. Rims also look cheap.

Unless your wife is planning to do rides in the dirt, please consider the machcity iBike W 7 speed. https://machcity.com/ibike-w-7-speed/ MTS will be harder to ride and avoid suspension for commutes altogether.

I have not seen the bike physically. But I have seen the single speed men's version. Rim looks more reliable. Front wheel and seat post have quick release. Nylon tire with slick tread pattern.

Montra Helicon is another bike I like looking at the spec and price. But it is for men. It should be okay for most ladies too. Some ladies are fussy about the horizontal bar.

somshekar kadam

Nov 29, 2016, 1:03:27 AM11/29/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Opendro, it was really nice reading ur US Bicycle trip.
I am more paritcular for 21 speed, I will check mach as you said.

Regards Neelu

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 8:14:51 PM UTC+5:30, berkeleydb wrote:
[...]

O p e n d r o

Nov 29, 2016, 1:18:16 AM11/29/16
to somshekar kadam, Bangalore Bikers Club
Montra Helicon 2016 is a 21 speed. They have one with suspension too I guess for the same price. But I would suggest the one without.

It has double walled alloy rim, sealed bottom bracket, threadless headset, etc. which are actually a little above the basic ones like machcity.

There was another thread where someone mentioned that RR has this model in the showroom. You can check it out. It looks good to me.

Why am I recommending this? It definitely looks better among the lots of Indian make at the budget price.

Hey, thanks for the kind words on my ride :)

somshekar kadam

Nov 29, 2016, 1:58:09 AM11/29/16
to O p e n d r o, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Opendro,

why are you suggesting without suspension, I thought for long rides we may get shoulder pain, when I used to ride using single speed for long distance used to geth the shoulder pain.

Please correct me, or I am missing your point.

Regards Neelu

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM, somshekar kadam <som_...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
Thanks Opendro, it was really nice reading ur US Bicycle trip.
I am more paritcular for 21 speed, I will check mach as you said.

Regards Neelu

On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 10:48 AM, Opendro <ope...@gmail.com> wrote:

The reason I hate Decathlon entry level bikes is their tires. They have so retarded rolling because of the tread pattern, except the MyBike 7s. Rims also look cheap.

Unless your wife is planning to do rides in the dirt, please consider the machcity iBike W 7 speed. https://machcity.com/ ibike-w-7-speed/ MTS will be harder to ride and avoid suspension for commutes altogether.

biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

O p e n d r o

Nov 29, 2016, 2:05:32 AM11/29/16
to somshekar kadam, Bangalore Bikers Club
Suspension adds weight unnecessarily. And it will also waste some energy (without going into the details).

Shoulder pain can be due to many factors, but suspension is unlikely one of them. Suspension is for absorbing sharp bumps which can be done by a slightly adjusted tire pressure much more efficiently unless you are going to do real trail where tires alone will not be sufficient.

Bike fit will be the most important factor in shoulder pain. Next factor will be your fitness. Try a little upright posture, with saddle and handlebar not so far stretched for your body. If you make too upright, the next thing you will realize is the pressure on the bums. That is why there has to be a balance and body has to be fitter. A stronger leg lessens the pressures on bum and palm.

somshekar kadam

Nov 29, 2016, 2:40:31 AM11/29/16
to O p e n d r o, Bangalore Bikers Club
Thank You opendra clearing my doubts

Regards Neelu

berkeleydb

Nov 29, 2016, 9:29:24 AM11/29/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
(As a courtesy to forum members, please post new topics, as new posts. So that the original topic as well as the new topic, both maintain their separate identity. People will be interested in specific topics; mixing up topics can cause people to stop following some posts.)

I am_not sure how relevant the men's cycle vs women's cycle concept really is. May be relevant from a attire perspective. But not from any physiological perspective, I think.

I think Montra Blues has a "womens" cycle (otherwise know as step-through, I think). Might want to check that out.

But unless you are very gung-ho about the step-through frame, I would suggest looking at appropriately sized non step-through bikes. I too would suggest rigid fork, & also v-brakes, not disc brakes.

I have a long overdue, incomplete blog post where I have tried to explain reasons for that. Bottom line -- for entry level bikes, try to keep it simple. Rigid fork & v-brakes are simple.

I have posted about the Montra Helicon & Mach City Munich, on another thread. Check that out. You can see them at RR Cycles Madivala.

-{db}.

berkeleydb

Nov 29, 2016, 9:54:38 AM11/29/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Good to know that tube shelf life is 2-3yrs.

Re: tyre vs tube size -- I recently did some riding with a 1.25-1.75" tube in a 1.9" tyre. I did get some punctures. All of them were on the inner side, so it was not due to anything external. (nor was there any issue on the rim wall.). So looks like matching tube with tyre size is important... :).

Tube should not be of lower width. Higher width tube should be ok, though watch out for folds in the tube. I have done some riding with higher width tubes, & that does_not seem to cause any major issues. Riding efficiency might be a bit lower.

-{db}.

Prashanth Chengi

Aravind M S

Nov 29, 2016, 12:41:32 PM11/29/16
to Prashanth Chengi, dhawal, Bangalore Bikers Club

True. Just have to ensure good ventilation. Earlier, had used couple of tubes which were packed inside the saddle bag for quite a few months. Had flat immediately.

somshekar kadam

Dec 5, 2016, 1:27:01 AM12/5/16
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
Thank you DB that helps