Do or die episode: Snarling dogs

Karthick Gururaj

Feb 13, 2017, 5:10:32 AM2/13/17
to BBC
Happened to see this episode recently. Got reminded of it looking at the other discussion thread.. :)

A bicyclist is surrounded by aggressive dogs. What should he do?

Mohammed Anzy S

Feb 13, 2017, 5:38:02 AM2/13/17
to Karthick Gururaj, BBC
This is a major menace, esp dogs sheltered near meat shops are really scary. I normally stop when the dogs start chasing me.
--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Opendro

Feb 13, 2017, 6:36:38 AM2/13/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Wow! That many dogs - that definitely is scary!

Basker Ramachandran

Feb 13, 2017, 7:12:30 AM2/13/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Bloody, I watched till the end hoping to get the answer but he didn't give :)

Certainly not with so many dogs but generally I have found loud screaming at the lead dog had saved me.

I once remember one of the biker on this forum commenting that he was faced with a group of 32 dogs. The main question everyone had was how did he manage to count them in the first place :)

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Prashanth Chengi

Feb 13, 2017, 8:09:02 AM2/13/17
to Basker Ramachandran, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
He must have counted the legs and divided the count by four! :D

/Prashanth

berkeleydb

Feb 13, 2017, 8:42:21 AM2/13/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hah ha ha... counted the legs. Makes it a lot easier. :) Or maybe he forgot to divide by 4... so it was really only 8 dogs. ;)

I didn't watch the video... but I just keep riding, at a steady pace. One almost never has to do anything "different". The dogs may charge at you or run alongside / behind, but they never get in your way. So just keep riding, & they will eventually drop off.

That said, I have had 2 close calls, where dogs tried to bite; in one case, the dob bit into my rear pannier, and in another I think the dog's teeth grazed my sandal.

But I will still maintain, that there really isn't anything for one to do... just keep riding at a steady pace. Don't try to ride faster... dogs (animal in general) can sense panic. Plus, on the off chance that you do need to take evasive turns, you are better off if your your speed & balance is steady. Don't wave your hands to try to shoo away the dogs, as again having both hands on the handlebars is probably more important incase you do need to brake/turn.

One thing to try -- I had tried making a tossing action on 2-3 occasions. The dogs do tend to veer off to look for what they think you tossed. But again, that means taking your hand off the handlebar. If you actually have some small stones (or better still, biscuits) in a t-shirt pocket, try tossing that few feet away. Good chance the dogs would follow that, & stop pursuing you.

But foe the most part, you just need to keep riding at a steady pace, & wati for the dogs to stop pursuing you.

-{db}.

Prashanth Chengi

Feb 13, 2017, 9:04:31 AM2/13/17
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
hmmm. DB's techniques reminds me of this Pearls Before Swine comic strip!!

/Prashanth

Prashanth Chengi

Feb 13, 2017, 9:08:28 AM2/13/17
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club

Chidambaran Subramanian

Feb 13, 2017, 10:15:41 AM2/13/17
to Basker Ramachandran, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Riding away is a bad idea.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Feb 13, 2017, 10:17:39 AM2/13/17
to Basker Ramachandran, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
One or two, I try to talk to them soothingly. Stay still and let them come close and smell me. After that they tend to calm down somewhat

berkeleydb

Feb 13, 2017, 11:05:04 AM2/13/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I would_not suggest stopping. On the off chance that some dog is looking to bite, I think if you are moving, you are safer.

So my suggestion is just continue riding, as if its business as usual.

-{db}.

Ashok Kumar S

Feb 13, 2017, 11:16:15 AM2/13/17
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
Interesting topic.

I have tried all the three options. Riding at same speed, riding faster and stopping. Riding faster makes them chase me for some distance, but I was lucky to be faster. Riding at same speed made them chase me and I had to yell at times to stop them. Stopping always worked and they have turned back and I could ride away after that.

Thanks and regards,
Ashok

Sent from my iPhone
--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Sudhir Pai

Feb 13, 2017, 11:56:28 AM2/13/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Few dogs charged at me along Hassan Belur stretch early morning. I had kept whisle (the normal seeti) hanging on my neck; when I blew they stopped barking. As Dhaval said, I kept a steady pace that moment and they couldn't/didn't come near me.

I used to work in Global village campus and work night/late shifts, had observed their behaviour vary with time/traffic.
Along uttrahalli road, they are very aggressive during 1:30am to 3:30am when traffic volume is lowest. Other times, they were not threatening.

They chase taxis/cars as other dogs would have urinated on the tires. Having a clean vehicle/bike sans any strong smell will make it less attractive to chase or feel threatened. (No guarantee though :-) )

Madhavan P

Feb 14, 2017, 12:19:29 AM2/14/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Stop and admit method has worked for me many times. Once I tried riding away with a lone dog (Pomeranian) in Gunjur-Chikka Tirupati route. The dog chased and bitten in my shoes, as it was small dog with small teeth the shoe protected me.

Ever since, I do stop and go for the dog chases. So far it has worked.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Aravind M S

Feb 14, 2017, 12:45:06 AM2/14/17
to Madhavan P, Bangalore Bikers Club
Stopping always worked for me. I stop and start walking the cycle slowly. Once i am at a safe distance i start pedaling again. If you are on the highway, you can zoom across. But if you are on the interior roads, it may be tough to riding away faster.
I recall one instance, riding to the brevet start point, some 8-10 dogs started barking at me and few of them started charging though i had stopped. Then, i picked up a stone (obviously, i was in the grip of fear) and pretended throwing at them. Then they stopped. I slowly, walked the cycle and kept pretending. After safe distance, cycled away.

Prashanth Chengi

Feb 14, 2017, 1:34:31 AM2/14/17
to Aravind M S, Madhavan P, Bangalore Bikers Club
Whenever people mention culling stray dogs, the Maneka Gandhi types come out with their declarations of undying love for the strays, and campaign for animal birth control. My point is, when they chase bicyclists or cars, they are not thinking that we are potential mates, are they? How the heck is animal birth control aka neutering supposed to fix that?
When they are part of a pack, they develop aggressive territorial instincts, and they protect their turf rather viciously, and in a pack, a neutered dog is as aggressive as a normal one, and it's simply impossible to manage to catch every single dog and neuter it.

/Prashanth

Prasanna

Feb 14, 2017, 2:12:31 AM2/14/17
to Prashanth Chengi, Aravind M S, Madhavan P, Bangalore Bikers Club
this is one topic which i  always wanted answer for.. my early morning rides are always a problem..especially on the turahalli forest route towards kanakapura road..
they chase in packs .. most of the times its a deadlock..( i walkaway they bark.. i stay still ..they are quite) ..

Praveen M

Feb 14, 2017, 3:00:03 AM2/14/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Ohh, now I know why most of the time dogs do not chase me. I ride so slowly dogs don't feel challenged or intimidated:)). In some ways they are similar to humans.

They do have chased me few times, but they lost interest when I slowed down. But the positive thing about dog chase is it released Adrenaline which helped with few climbs in my last tour.

**********************

Opendro

Feb 14, 2017, 11:55:32 PM2/14/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
There are more than speed factor. My wife and kids were often hounded by the stray dogs which were often fed in one house in my layout. But they would never hound me.

I believe that the body language and your heart beat matter a lot here if the number of dogs are not that large. They can sense a scared person very easily. They don't usually intimidate someone who is not scared unless you are running away or you made an enemy earlier.

BTW, culling stray dogs sound a bit barbaric to me too though I'm not an animal (or anything) activist. My suggestion is that we stop throwing left over food to the street and stray dogs will control their population themselves.

On 13 February 2017 at 22:26, Sudhir Pai <hisud...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Jayaprakash E

Feb 15, 2017, 12:36:28 AM2/15/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Stray dogs!!! Hmm...its BBCH pet topic :-)
Its a love hate relationship.
We love them, hate them, love to hate them or hate to love them.

george...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2017, 1:47:56 AM2/15/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
My experience is also similar to what Opendro mailed. A friend of mine got a pet dog, and playing with it reduced my natural fear to a large extent. Surprisingly, I have got chased by stray dogs very rarely after that.

They get irritated if you stare too long, and they like to scare you if they think you have not noticed them. I think the key is to just 'acknowledge' the dogs and cycle slow and sure, a quick 'sup!' if you may, that convey that you are not scared of them, but neither are you staking claim to their territory - juuust passing through :)

But none of this is going to work for 32 dogs anyway, I am sure :|

Regards,
George

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Chidambaran Subramanian

Feb 15, 2017, 2:29:03 AM2/15/17
to george...@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
A whistle helps

Chidambaran Subramanian

Feb 15, 2017, 5:39:15 AM2/15/17
to george...@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
But yes, Dog chasing seems to be most popular topic around here!

Sudhir Pai

Feb 15, 2017, 8:52:15 AM2/15/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Came across this while searching a work related stuff :-)

https://httpstatusdogs.com/

Madhavan P

Feb 15, 2017, 11:51:30 PM2/15/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Yesterday I watched this episode in National Geographic and according to them, for so many dogs being aggressive is the only way to hold your stand until some help arrives.

They say that use your cycle as protection between you and the charging dogs and make authoritative commands to the dogs in a loud voice.

Seems a valid point

On 15 February 2017 at 19:22, Sudhir Pai <hisud...@gmail.com> wrote:
Came across this while searching a work related stuff :-)

https://httpstatusdogs.com/

Ali Poonawala

Feb 16, 2017, 1:52:22 AM2/16/17
to Madhavan P, Sharath Chandar
You mean to say to use bicycle as Bhim's gada ? Keep swirling around, yourself as well as the bike ?
I wont be able to do it even for one minute !

Ali Poonawala
Bangalore

murali hr

Feb 16, 2017, 3:37:08 AM2/16/17
to Ali Poonawala, Madhavan P, Sharath Chandar

should be part of cycle training..

Prashanth Chengi

Feb 16, 2017, 5:18:46 AM2/16/17
to murali hr, Ali Poonawala, Madhavan P, Sharath Chandar
Theory is one thing and doing it in real-life is another thing entirely. Technically, irrespective of how many dogs are there in the charging pack, if you attack the leader and defeat it, the rest are supposed to slink away, but then, that's the theory! What I find helpful is to let loose some choice expletives at Maneka Gandhi and her ilk, at the top of your voice, and it sometimes works; the dogs get perplexed and leave you.

/Prashanth

Opendro

Feb 16, 2017, 5:32:50 AM2/16/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Prashanth, be ready to have some fun in Kentucky. I chose to ride fast in most cases as they were chasing from a distance. In some cases, I had to do difficult maneuvering as they planned the pace before me, right in the middle of country roads. At one point, I did nothing, but stand still with cars a few cars behind me.

If you cannot run away, stand still with bike guarding your back, be calm, communicate with firm voice - they usually recede after a while.

On 16 Feb 2017 10:21, "Madhavan P" <agalya....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

itisravi

Feb 17, 2017, 10:40:35 AM2/17/17

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 3:40:32 PM UTC+5:30, Karthick wrote:
Happened to see this episode recently. Got reminded of it looking at the other discussion thread.. :)

A bicyclist is surrounded by aggressive dogs. What should he do?

Praveen M

Feb 28, 2017, 5:27:26 AM2/28/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Just remembered this wonderful documentary. Its not about stray dogs but about their wilder neighbors (in Bengaluru context):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZO5kYDl8To

santosh kumar

Gaurang Singh