Mechanical disc vs Hydraulic disc

bhaskar

Dec 13, 2017, 1:34:14 PM12/13/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Bikers,

Looking for replacement of disc brake set for my Cannondale Trail 29er (the stock Promax Decipher have all jammed up)
Wanted to know any particular advantages of hydraulic discs (other than extreme downhills) over mechanical disc brakes? High maintenance cost of hydraulics?

And, any suggestion for a decent mechanical disc brake set for the bike?

Thank you.

Warm Regards,
Bhaskar

Opendro

Dec 18, 2017, 10:59:47 PM12/18/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
The main advantages of hydraulic brakes are : smooth operation (no cable friction) and no need to adjust the level play. Of course, these advantages are easily achieved in mechanical one too if properly maintained. I never had hydrailic on bike. But I have hydraulics in all my motorbikes and cars. They are definitely not expensive to maintain. I don't know why you say, they are expensive. Of course, it is a bit more complicated to DIY. But that is one time learning.

berkeleydb

Dec 26, 2017, 5:01:25 PM12/26/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I have_not used hydraulic brakes on bikes; so can't really share any experiences.

I think the primary benefit of hydraulic brakes, is less effort to brake. With hydraulics, the braking power is_not really dependent on the effort that can be applied by the rider; fairly mild pressure on the brake levers, gives good / max braking. Depending on riding style / conditions, that can be a big plus. Not necessarily specific to downhill riding.

Personally, having used (mech) disc brakes for few years (on my Trek 4300D), I felt v-brakes were better overall, for my riding. I felt the brake pad alignment (which probably is equal effort, for mechanical and hydraulic) in disc brakes is a bit of a hassle. Though it might also be partly dependent on the specific brake model.

-{db}.