Lubricants

santosh kumar

Apr 28, 2016, 1:48:07 AM4/28/16
to BBC

Hi,

With the rainy season approaching (hopefully fast). I'm sure most of us would be mulling over keeping the drive train clean and lubricated at the same time which gets tougher with rain.

I have a couple of questions.
1: what do we really look for from a lube?? (Keep the chain from rusting, not collect gunk, keep the drive train lubricated?)
2: what is best kind of lube? (Dry, wet) any other

Initially when I started cycling, I used the oil my mom used for the sewing machine. It was wash proof, but built a lot of gunk. Later when I went looking for a good dry lube at RR, I picked up Giant Dry Silk +. This was good against protecting from the gunk buildup, but would get washed away by rain, and the chain started to rust even overnight. Right now, I am using Squirt that I picked up from cycling boutique. I must say, that by far, this has been the most gunk free my chain has ever been. I haven't tried it in rain yet, since it hasn't rained since I bought it.

What is your experience with (dry) lubes in the rain??

Cheers,

Santosh

Prashanth Chengi

Apr 28, 2016, 1:57:23 AM4/28/16
to santosh kumar, BBC

Lubes that don't attract gunk and which wash away, are actually great ! After a long ride in wet conditions, give the bike a quick but thorough functional cleaning, allow it to dry and reapply lube. Chain only rusts when you don't clean and forget to reapply lube. And try not to apply lube over any dirt (before cleaning).

/Prashanth

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Prashanth Chengi

Apr 28, 2016, 1:59:24 AM4/28/16
to santosh kumar, BBC

I meant wet lube though, not dry. Dry would probably not stay on long enough to protect the components, even before a ride is over, in wet conditions.

/Prashanth

Message has been deleted

Pancham Bharadwaj

Apr 28, 2016, 9:26:13 AM4/28/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Continue using Squirt. It will do the job for you!