Nandi Open Exclusively for Cyclists, Runners and Trekkers between 6-10am On Weekends: Celebratory Ride on 1st July

Venky

Jun 20, 2017, 12:29:17 AM6/20/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi All,

A few weeks back, with the help of our skipper, Dr. Arvind Bhateja, a few of us from Spectrum Racing have approached Chikkaballapur MLA Dr. Sudhakar for helping make Nandi and surrounding areas more sports friendly.

He was very forthcoming and took note of our suggestions on how the area can be made friendly for cyclists, runners and trekkers. One of the suggestions we had was to somehow control the amount of traffic on the hill.

We are pleased to announce that based on the suggestions, the administration has agreed to and working on keeping Nanid hills exclusively open for cyclists, runners and trekkers between 6-10am on weekends. This is going to be implemented from 1st of July.

To kickstart this great initiative, on 1st July we are organizing a ride up the hill starting from 7am from the base of Nandi hills. The time of the ride should give enough time for those who are planning to ride to the base enough time to get there if they start early.

We request all of you to spread the word and be there in great numbers for the celebratory ride on 1st July and BAR race up the hill on 2nd July.

Events:
Sports Celebratory Ride:  7 am 1st July 2017
BAR Race: 7:30 am 2nd July (Hill climbing TT)
Venue: Nandi Hills Base

Those who are riding all the way from home can please plan to arrive there by 6:55 am - 7am. We need to make our presence felt.

This is also for runners, walkers and trekkers. So, please spread the word.

For those arriving there in cars and other transport, there is parking space around the hotels and on the approach road to Nandi.

Please spread the word wide and please be there in big numbers! If we turn up in big numbers the authorities will understand that the pains they are taking are worthwhile and this becomes sustainable.

See you all there on 1st July! Let's ride/run/walk up the hill, to celebrate cleaner hills and healthy living!

FB_IMG_1497931224637.jpg
FB_IMG_1497885788303.jpg

Opendro

Jun 20, 2017, 2:45:39 AM6/20/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Just Awesome!

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 20, 2017, 3:47:49 AM6/20/17
to Venky, Bangalore Bikers Club, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

Rohan Kini

Jun 20, 2017, 7:09:58 AM6/20/17
to Venky, Bangalore Bikers Club
Fantastic! Great initiative Spectrum Racing. Thanks for taking this up.
It would be great to have the hills to ourselves for a bit in the morning. So much safer too!

Who all are riding up to the base on 1 Jul from South Bangalore?

Regards,
- Rohan

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Venky <hiven...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

  Sent with Mailtrack

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 20, 2017, 9:08:46 AM6/20/17
to Rohan Kini, Venky, Bangalore Bikers Club
I am planning to drive down there with my son and cycle up.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 20, 2017, 9:14:56 AM6/20/17
to Rohan Kini, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club), Venky, Bangalore Bikers Club
Its important that we frequent it consistently for a few weeks. Once the word goes out that it is safe for cyclists and pedestrians a large following will automatically happen and people will start frequenting the place

Regards
Chiddu

vivek

Jun 21, 2017, 1:43:23 AM6/21/17
to GoGreen Bangalore, rohan...@gmail.com, hiven...@gmail.com, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
This is going really great. Will definitely go there for the coming days.

Apart from that if some event organizers take this opportunity to create an event there it would be awesome. We need more participation from people of all walks of life. Only then this will be successful in the long run.

Regards,
Vivek

Regards,
- Rohan

  Sent with Mailtrack

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

GoGreenRao .

Jun 21, 2017, 9:22:39 AM6/21/17
to vivek....@gmail.com, hiven...@gmail.com, rohan...@gmail.com, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, GoGreen Bangalore
Dear All,
It's a blessing decision to all our cyclist..hats off to all the people behind the scenes for making this happen.

A serious note.
I would  like to caution all our cyclist who plan to climb Nandi would advise to return back to Nandi base point before 10am on these special days (Saturday & Sunday) after 10:00 am it would be too risky as motor vehicle will start speeding up.

 Coming July months endurance ride will be shifted from 2nd Sunday to 1st Saturday &  we all will be riding towards Nandi base pls pass on the message.. We will post the event details plan as soon as we complete this week's 'GoGreen Metro awareness ride"

--

---

berkeleydb

Jun 22, 2017, 4:47:39 AM6/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Was awesome to hear about this. Kudos to all the folks involved in making this happen.

Re: the Deccan Herald article -- as a friend of mine pointed out after I shared an FB post -- it does_not really say that motorised vehicles will_not be allowed on Nandi Hills on Sat/Sun, between 0600hrs-1000hrs, & that Nandi Hills will be open only to trekkers / runners / cyclists during those times. I hope there is a more clear wording / commitment received separately from the MLA re: this.

-{db}.

Blackmamba

Jun 22, 2017, 9:03:49 AM6/22/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
sister newspaper of deccan hearld  kannada daily prajavani clearly mentions that motorised vehicles are barred between 6am to 10am on nandihills

Venky

Jun 28, 2017, 1:07:35 AM6/28/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi All,

Reminder for Saturday's for to Nandi. Please be there slightly before 7 am. Bring everyone on self powered wheels or legs.

Let's show them a sea of cyclists and runners for the weekend!

A bunch of us are starting riding from Esteem mall in hebbal at 5:30am on Saturday.

If you are starting from an area far off expect to ride slower, please plan accordingly and start early.

For those who plan to use motorized transport part of the way, you could park near Nandi cross and ride the 14km to the base. Or you could park anywhere near the hotels on the route(including near the base but preferably slightly away from the base) and ride the rest of the way.

Hope to see you all in numbers!

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Karthick Gururaj

Jun 28, 2017, 1:51:02 AM6/28/17
to Venky, Bangalore Bikers Club
A slightly cycling-off-topic question: can someone help me with the start point for the Nandi trek? I have seen some pictures where one can go up steps (surrounded by trees).

Any additional info (like the route distance, any shops on way for water) will also be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Karthick

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 28, 2017, 2:19:17 AM6/28/17
to Karthick Gururaj, Venky, Bangalore Bikers Club
Karthick, you can check Deepak Majipatil or Manjula's timeline on facebook.
It is a very short (2km ) trek. nothing on the way, just carry some water or fluids. Pretty easy , Opendro and kids and myself and son have done it.

Regards
Chiddu

Jayaprakash E

Jun 29, 2017, 1:18:21 AM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I did the trek to Nandi hills with family (wife & 5 years old son) four years ago. Had breakfast at T junction and proceeded towards Sultanpet, that is right side of T junction. The trek start point is next to Sultanpet.

Opendro

Jun 29, 2017, 3:48:44 AM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, hiven...@gmail.com
This is the starting point https://goo.gl/maps/ViaPDFBYcD82.

The climb is exactly 2 km to the end of the trail. But actual climb is only till the Tipu's fort / temple where there is a pond and where vehicles stop after the arch. Beyond that, it is flat. So, the climb is effectively 1.5 km.

A brisk climb with minimum photo shoots will take about 30 mins. Slow groups can take anywhere between 45 to 60 minutes.

The trail does not have tree coverage in between for about 250 metres.

On Thursday, 22 June 2017 14:17:39 UTC+5:30, berkeleydb wrote:
Was awesome to hear about this.  Kudos to all the folks involved in making this happen.

Re: the Deccan Herald article -- as a friend of mine pointed out after I shared an FB post -- it does_not really say that motorised vehicles will_not be allowed on Nandi Hills on Sat/Sun, between 0600hrs-1000hrs, & that Nandi Hills will be open only to trekkers / runners / cyclists during those times.  I hope there is a more clear wording / commitment received separately from the MLA re: this.

-{db}.

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Opendro

Jun 29, 2017, 3:50:22 AM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
So, water can be purchased from the shop after the Arch. For this, you have to get off the trail near the pond and you will see the road and shop. You won't miss this as there will be motor vehicle crowd audible around.

vivek

Jun 29, 2017, 4:01:14 AM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks for the info Opendro. I am considering bringing my wife and kid (2 years old) accompanied by either my brother or a friend. I hope it is safe and not a difficult climb. If plan goes accordingly I intend to drop them off at the point you mentioned and I will ride up.

Anybody else planning to take their family along? It would be good if they have some company for the trek.

Regards,
Vivek

Jayaprakash E

Jun 29, 2017, 4:28:59 AM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Carrying a kid and climbing would be tough unless someone has practice. I had made my wife and son to practice walking 2kms per day for almost a month before going for the trek. We took two hours to climb, including photoshoot/breaks as it was first trek for my wife and son. We met two to three persons during the trek and felt its isolated area. I do not know the current scenario.

Opendro

Jun 29, 2017, 5:25:25 AM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Two hours is a bit exaggerated unless one has knee injury. Steps are of perfect height. Even a heart patient can climb.

BTW, walking is a wasteful exercise if your aim is to build strength. Walking is a good exercise if your aim is to keep yourself functionally locomotive.

I take families to moderate level treks - such as a 19 km to-and-fro in Kudremukh or even a multiday treks like Deorietal, Tunganath/Chandrashila. This is what I tell them to do - http://www.livestrong.com/article/211859-how-to-do-air-squats/ the best indoor workout to prepare a pair of climbing legs - trek or cycling.

If one does not have knee injury, I ask them to start with 250 a day everyday for 10 days starting two weeks prior to the trek. And up the count upto 500 a day. If one has knee injuries, I ask them to start a month before and do just calf raises standing on toes - at least 15 to 20 minutes a day.

For Nandi, just doing 150 air squats a day 5 days before the trek should comfortably prepare you for an easy 30 mins trek.

Warning : first 3 days will be painful (if you start with 250 directly). You will be fine from 4th day.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 29, 2017, 6:07:36 AM6/29/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Opendro <ope...@gmail.com> wrote:
Two hours is a bit exaggerated unless one has knee injury. Steps are of perfect height. Even a heart patient can climb.

Depends on the ailment. It might end up being the final climb

BTW, walking is a wasteful exercise if your aim is to build strength. Walking is a good exercise if your aim is to keep yourself functionally locomotive.
Treks are done for fun, not for exercise, no?

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 1:58:59 PM UTC+5:30, Jayaprakash E wrote:
Carrying a kid and climbing would be tough unless someone has practice. I had made my wife and son to practice walking 2kms per day for almost a month before going for the trek. We took two hours to climb, including photoshoot/breaks as it was first trek for my wife and son. We met two to three persons during the trek and felt its isolated area. I do not know the current

Its a nice garbage free climb. I would just climb not worrying too much. Let us not make everything complicated

Opendro

Jun 29, 2017, 6:17:45 AM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 3:37:36 PM UTC+5:30, Chidambaran S( Chiddu) wrote:

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Opendro <ope...@gmail.com> wrote:
Two hours is a bit exaggerated unless one has knee injury. Steps are of perfect height. Even a heart patient can climb.

Depends on the ailment. It might end up being the final climb
It is a very well laid trail. If you cannot climb it, you are most likely a vegetable!

BTW, walking is a wasteful exercise if your aim is to build strength. Walking is a good exercise if your aim is to keep yourself functionally locomotive.
Treks are done for fun, not for exercise, no?
Even BITH is for fun. You do need to be fit to be able to have the fun. Walking is definitely not for fun. No one walks for fun. They do either to keep themselves in locomotive state and/or to reach a destination or under the illusion of exercise, which is not.

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 1:58:59 PM UTC+5:30, Jayaprakash E wrote:
Carrying a kid and climbing would be tough unless someone has practice. I had made my wife and son to practice walking 2kms per day for almost a month before going for the trek. We took two hours to climb, including photoshoot/breaks as it was first trek for my wife and son. We met two to three persons during the trek and felt its isolated area. I do not know the current

Its a nice garbage free climb. I would just climb not worrying too much. Let us not make everything complicated
Garbage free or not - it depends on the person. But it is the easiest trek one can try. I have lost count of people and repeats on this trail.

Jayaprakash E

Jun 29, 2017, 7:06:38 AM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I just gave the contrasting view (beginner). I had to constantly motivate my 5 years old son to walk. Now the story is different.

Opendro

Jun 29, 2017, 7:11:16 AM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Jayaprakash, I didn't mean to look down upon your family's capability. I wanted to point out the mistake (using walking as exercise) and suggest the right exercise for a trek. Trust me. The exercise I suggested is simple and will enable your family in very short time without any resource.

Just to give an idea, my father is law had 98% blockage on main artery when he did 4 bypasses. He climbed the Nandi trail just 6 months before the surgery without realizing that he had so bad blockage. Just treat this as stairs.

Opendro

Jun 29, 2017, 7:12:44 AM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
And I forgot to mention - never go alone. No one likes trekking alone. Take a family friend who also has a kid of similar age. They will just take off themselves.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 29, 2017, 9:34:18 AM6/29/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Open,

I have trekked and camped all alone in Olympic national park , Washington State.

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Opendro

Jun 29, 2017, 9:57:33 AM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I thought, you had companion - some wild animals - right outside your tent ;-)

Karthick Gururaj

Jun 29, 2017, 10:20:09 AM6/29/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Open, Jayaprakash,

Thanks for the info - very helpful. The trek is more a casual outing - but I was earlier thinking/hoping it would be longer, 2km is kinda short. Neverthless, we'll do it sometime soon.

Vivek, it will a family affair - I and my wife and 2 kids aged 10 yr and 10 mo. But plans are not finalized :)

- Karthick

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 29, 2017, 12:21:05 PM6/29/17
to Karthick Gururaj, arvind, Venkatesh N, Manjula Sridhar, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)

maheshv

Jun 29, 2017, 10:41:25 PM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, karthick...@gmail.com, arv...@neuro-spine.com, hiven...@gmail.com, manjula...@gmail.com, ope...@gmail.com, ggi-...@googlegroups.com
Although there seems to be a  p and e in between, he has ensured that O and N remain prominent and no gaps show up in between.
Looks like something is wrong with this guy.

Ali Poonawala

Jun 29, 2017, 11:22:37 PM6/29/17
to maheshv, Opendro, Karthick Gururaj, ggi-...@googlegroups.com, manjula...@gmail.com, hiven...@gmail.com, arv...@neuro-spine.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
Mr. Mahesh..
With due respect..
Not quite sure...But this appears now nitpicking on person ... VERY INAPPROPRIATE !!
Opendro Thodum Singh is one of the most respected cyclist.. may it be road, endurance ( multiple 1000+ brevets and only indian to do TransAM 3000 miles + so far..) , or downhill..cross country...you name it..He has done with aplomb and finesse which makes all ears stand up and listen when he speaks..Ever so softly and do humbly.
Regarding the matter at hand, about trekking up Nandi Hill, he gave his opinion about usual timings, he justified by his father's example, and if you felt the language was strong..You are justified in expressing your opinion.

Discuss issue..Not person.

Let your personal opinion about any person remain your own.
There is nothing to be gained, as far as issue is concerned,  by going onto personality discussion..

Please do not take this as an offense..
This is a humble request to keep us all sane and functional ☺☺

Warm regards

Ali Poonawala
Bangalore

Jayaprakash E

Jun 29, 2017, 11:40:33 PM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
+1

Let's discuss the subject and respect each ones experience/opinion.

maheshv

Jun 29, 2017, 11:49:59 PM6/29/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, maheshvenk...@gmail.com, ope...@gmail.com, karthick...@gmail.com, ggi-...@googlegroups.com, manjula...@gmail.com, hiven...@gmail.com, arv...@neuro-spine.com
Ali poonawala,

This is not exactly nitpicking.
While he has his opinion for everything, he cannot shove his opinion down other persons throat.
What is with "nobody walks for fun" thought?

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 29, 2017, 11:58:27 PM6/29/17
to maheshv, Bangalore Bikers Club, Thoudam Opendro Singh, Karthick Gururaj, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club), Manjula Sridhar, Venkatesh N, arvind
I don't think he is shoving his opinion. He said nobody walks alone.
I said I do. Why do we have to get so abrasive?

I did not even  understand your original comment BTW

maheshv

Jun 30, 2017, 12:00:49 AM6/30/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, maheshvenk...@gmail.com, ope...@gmail.com, karthick...@gmail.com, ggi-...@googlegroups.com, manjula...@gmail.com, hiven...@gmail.com, arv...@neuro-spine.com
<Quote>

Even BITH is for fun. You do need to be fit to be able to have the fun. Walking is definitely not for fun. No one walks for fun. They do either to keep themselves in locomotive state and/or to reach a destination or under the illusion of exercise, which is not.

<Unquote>

Ali Poonawala

Jun 30, 2017, 12:00:56 AM6/30/17
to maheshv, Karthick Gururaj, Opendro, ggi-...@googlegroups.com, manjula...@gmail.com, arv...@neuro-spine.com, hiven...@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
Mr. Mahesh..
Opinions are just that !
Take it or leave it..
Object and discuss objectively.
No personal disparagement..However opposing view you may have..
We need to remain within bounds.
If you find his language strong and offensive, do specify what would you have said.
That is much better for all, rather than personal attacks.
I would respectfully withdraw from any more discussion on this matter.

Ali Poonawala
Bangalore

Opendro

Jun 30, 2017, 1:12:31 AM6/30/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Let me address the response using names so that I don't need to reply to every post.

Mahesh, you can mention which specific part you don't agree and you can probably back it up with some facts or your experience. I'm telling from my experience and from the experience of preparing other common folks - family, women, children, elderly, etc. Walking helps neither in burning calories nor in building the calf or quad strength which are required if one has to protect knee or build a pair of climbing legs.

I also have not seen people who walk just for fun. If you think people do, please give some context (when/where) so that I can correct myself.

Doc Ali, please don't defend me. I'm deaf enough to ignore what is not relevant/important. On the contrary, I appreciate that someone disagrees with something I thought to be true. We can pick the argument from there so that others can express what they think.

Opendro

Jun 30, 2017, 1:17:37 AM6/30/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Oh! Sorry, I forgot to mention one thing... I have a suspicion that Mahesh does not know what BITH is and he probably thought it something offending word. In case, anyone didn't know, I meant this http://www.bangalorebrevets.in/2014/07/bliss-in-the-hills/ - probably the most challenging 1200k brevet in India, even comparable to PBP, I suppose.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jun 30, 2017, 1:27:49 AM6/30/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Opendro, I enjoy walking for fun. Don't think it is a serious exercise.

Jayaprakash E

Jun 30, 2017, 1:34:10 AM6/30/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Open, my family too go for a stroll every weekend. Its for pure fun, and we miss it when we skip it. We end it up with a cup of coffee at a nearby darshini:-)

maheshv

Jul 1, 2017, 4:18:05 AM7/1/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Yes I do that regularly too. (stroll)
and its calming.
and I knew about bliss in the hills and I categorize that as "not fun" for me.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Venky

Jul 2, 2017, 7:45:44 AM7/2/17
to S Chidambaran, Bangalore Bikers Club
Chiddu,

Decided to use the opportunity of traffic free hill and give mass start a shot. Updated the same in the event details that was created yesterday. TT can be conducted on any Saturday even without traffic closure. Everyone had a blast. Sorry for not communicating clearly.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 2, 2017, 12:36:14 PM7/2/17
to Venky, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hey no need to apologize. I've bust my right knee and wouldn't have risked a TT. But may have tried my skills at hanging on if I knew it was a mass start.
Esp since I am running a 10k next Sunday.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 2, 2017, 12:36:37 PM7/2/17
to Venky, Bangalore Bikers Club
But the bigger question is. Was it a one off thing (The closure for motor vehicles?)

Venky

Jul 2, 2017, 1:27:15 PM7/2/17
to S Chidambaran, Bangalore Bikers Club
It is a one off thing for now tried on an experimental basis to understand how it works. However pro environment and cycling we are, even we understand that it is not a practical thing to implement without alternative arrangements(like electrical vehicles ferrying people at regular intervals for example) made for tourists. While the authorities try to figure things out, we intend to push for a traffic free day at least once a month. While this weekend was a huge step forward, a lot of work needs to be done to make it a regular feature. Let's hope things pan out well towards that.

berkeleydb

Jul 2, 2017, 3:22:31 PM7/2/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Was_not able to join the inaugral ride, but I went on Sunday. My short FB post about my ride -- https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155614015808447&id=742188446

Dedicated to all the folks who worked on the traffic-free Nandi Hills initiatve, & to the Bangalore cycling community at large. Very awesome.

One thing to poin out (so folks are aware) -- on Sunday, looks like the cops let traffic through at ~0930hrs. I was on my 2nd climb at ~0945hrs, when the traffic caught up. The remaining 3-4kms were a bit rough in the traffic rush. Once I reached the top, I waited till ~1100hrs, for the initial rush to subside, before heading down (to start my 3rd climb). The traffic at that point was similar to any usual weekend.

Will be helpful if the adherence to 1000hrs time can be raised eithr the cops. (Though I should also say hat it was good to see cops posted all along the route.)

-{db}.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 2, 2017, 9:40:52 PM7/2/17
to Venky, Bangalore Bikers Club
Once a week ( every Sunday) should be possible I think.

Vivek Kubaji

Jul 3, 2017, 1:32:34 AM7/3/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Venky, Bangalore Bikers Club
Venky and team, you guys did a great thing on convincing closing the road to motorized traffic. Kudos to your efforts.

If we convince the officials, I don't see any reason why this can't be done at least once in a month (closure of motorized traffic). Two things to make sure is to organize a mass event and involving the running/trekking communities.

Regards,
Vivek

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bangalore Bikers Club" group.

Opendro

Jul 3, 2017, 4:34:09 AM7/3/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
+1

If they can close Cubbon park to motor vehicles every weekend, they definitely can do for Nandi too. It all depends on the pressure. Along the similar lines, has anyone experienced what it is to drive or ride up the Chamundi hill in Mysore or Dodapetta (telescope house) in Ooty on a weekend? It is one hell of an experience because of the volume of traffic. That is exactly why authorities should ban private motor vehicles.

As Venky pointed out, people would need some other arrangement for those who genuinely cannot climb up and would want to see the peak. Just one bus every 15 to 30 mins should be good enough and provide proper parking space at the base.

Just my thoughts. But I know, it is not easy... a lot of effort from dedicated people required to put the pressure.

Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Venky

Jul 3, 2017, 6:14:25 AM7/3/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Cubbon park closure for traffic on weekends is enforced by a court order that was based on a PIL. So, something like that might be a long term solution because, government officials and politicians do change periodically and the support that we have one day might not be there the next. But if it were to be enforced by law, it will be a more long term solution. Looking at all possible options.

Cheers,
Venky
bvcoaching.in

berkeleydb

Jul 7, 2017, 6:10:33 PM7/7/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Ouch... the newspaper article & the OP, seemed to clearly say "weekends, starting July 1st". So if it was just one weekend, then it's reflects very (VERY) poorly on how this was presented.

No reflection on the effort / intent of folks who worked on this initiative, but what was reported was downright dishonest.

-{db}.

ashutosh tripathi

Jul 9, 2017, 8:49:58 AM7/9/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I did a Nandi ride yesterday, hoping to see no cars and motorbikes, but it was disappointing.
Too many bikers, few shouting, and unnecessary honking.
The parking seemed full like some Mall parking

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 9, 2017, 9:02:33 AM7/9/17
to ashutosh tripathi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Ashutosh , you did not see the exchange between me and BV where he mentioned that it was a one time thing (In this forum)?

Goutham Sridhar

Jul 9, 2017, 9:03:54 AM7/9/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, ashutosh tripathi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi,

Today I had been to Nandi hills had more traffic and 3 accidents

On 09-Jul-2017 6:32 PM, "Chidambaran Subramanian" <chi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ashutosh , you did not see the exchange between me and BV where he mentioned that it was a one time thing (In this forum)?

ashutosh tripathi

Jul 9, 2017, 9:06:48 AM7/9/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, ashutosh_t...@rediffmail.com
I missed it
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bangalore-bike...@googlegroups.com.

Venky

Jul 9, 2017, 10:10:30 PM7/9/17
to ashutosh tripathi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Yeah, heard of and saw the pictures of really horrible traffic situation on the hill yesterday. Apparently there were two major accidents on the hill that caused the mayhem which is all too common now a days.

Unfortunately, stopping the traffic without alternative arrangements won't happen anytime soon. As hard as it is to imagine, it is only going to get worse with the focus on improving tourism around the area. However, we reinitiating the dialogue with the authorities to see if traffic free mornings can be enforced at least once a month to begin with. Let us see if we manage to make any inroads towards that.

Cheers,
Venky
bvcoaching.in

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 9, 2017, 11:20:35 PM7/9/17
to Venky, ashutosh tripathi, Bangalore Bikers Club
If it can be done , only on 2 Sundays a month that will be great

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Venky <hiven...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, heard of and saw the pictures of really horrible traffic situation on the hill yesterday. Apparently there were two major accidents on the hill that caused the mayhem which is all too common now a days.

Unfortunately, stopping the traffic without alternative arrangements won't happen anytime soon. As hard as it is to imagine, it is only going to get worse with the focus on improving tourism around the area. However, we reinitiating the dialogue with the authorities to see if traffic free mornings can be enforced at least once a month to begin with. Let us see if we manage to make any inroads towards that.

Goutham Sridhar

Jul 9, 2017, 11:35:45 PM7/9/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Venky, ashutosh tripathi, Bangalore Bikers Club
And then there PPL were doing weeling and all . They were speeding downhill .

Vinay Rao

Jul 10, 2017, 12:20:09 AM7/10/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Can't forget the putrid smell of burnt asbestos from clutches of vehicles moving slowly up Doddabetta. On a weekday.

Vinay Rao

Hemings

Jul 10, 2017, 12:48:12 AM7/10/17
to Vinay Rao, Bangalore Bikers Club
Off topic alert:-  Hopefully they have upgraded the clutch plate tech from asbestos.  It was found commonly during the 70s-80s era.

Sent from my iPhone

Krishna Kumar

Jul 10, 2017, 1:09:09 AM7/10/17
to Hemings, Bangalore Bikers Club, Vinay Rao
Dear friends,

               Yesterday I visit nandi hills meet some of our riders like Craig etc...!!

               There was two major accident and traffic jam at nandi hills.

               What I noticed is no one care about lane follow and speed at place like this. The result they end up them self and other life into danger. None of the bikers use helmets and ride so dangerous. They think they are Rossi. And in case of cars they think they are Sebatin Lob in WRC.

              All city police catching people for helmet but in nandi u free to drive without helmet. If anyone know traffic officials please request them to make strict rules in nandi for safety of all.

Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Vivek Kubaji

Jul 10, 2017, 1:49:47 AM7/10/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Venky, ashutosh tripathi, Bangalore Bikers Club
I think we need to push the officials to completely block private vehicles to Nandi and arrange an alternate public transport all the way till the temple/food court area esp. during the peak hours on weekends. This is the only way I see this being sustainable.

Regards,
Vivek

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bangalore Bikers Club" group.

ashutosh tripathi

Jul 10, 2017, 1:54:38 AM7/10/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, chi...@gmail.com, hiven...@gmail.com, ashutosh_t...@rediffmail.com
A cable car or something like that can be useful.
But i doubt it would ever be done. Officials generate a good amount of revenue through parking fees

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Chidambaran Subramanian <chi...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Vivek Kubaji

Jul 10, 2017, 2:02:44 AM7/10/17
to ashutosh tripathi, Bangalore Bikers Club, Chidambaran Subramanian, Venky
If they are smart they can generate an equal amount by means of public transport. Cable cars should be a long term project, but a mini-bus should be an ideal solution for the current needs. The ones KSRTC uses for rural transport.

Btw, do they charge any fee for 2 wheelers? I know they charge entry fee for 4-wheelers after the bus stop. Maybe charging an entry charge for 2-wheelers at the base itself will deter the hooligan riders?

Regards,
Vivek

Opendro

Jul 10, 2017, 2:07:18 AM7/10/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Exactly. And they can make money from parking at the base.

Anyway, for those who love training on hill climbs on bike, Basavanabetta is a better option - no motor vehicles, tougher gradient. I'm planning to go there in the next couple of weeks, anyone is free to join.

For those who go to Nandi purely for enjoyment, go on a car. For those who go to Nandi to enjoy nature sans motor vehicles, the trail is pretty neat and no unwanted interaction with vehicles or bikers there.

So, options are fairly plenty for now.

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 11:19:47 AM UTC+5:30, vivek wrote:
[...]

Venky

Jul 10, 2017, 3:07:41 AM7/10/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
For someone living on that side of town, Basavanabetta is definitely a great option. It is a peaceful hill with decent roads and great for training for steep ascents. Only for some of us on the other side of the town, it will be an all day affair especially with the traffic through the city on the way back. In any case, 240km +(It is 120km one way for me) is not my idea of a weekend ride. If it were, I would be riding our Bliss In The Hills. :)

Compare that with a quick ride to Nandi(120km to and fro) on a Saturday morning with relatively lesser traffic(compared to Sunday), where I can be back home by 10am(11am if I am doing repeats), it is an easy pick for me over Basavanabetta.

Cheers,
Venky
bvcoaching.in