Cycling & Vision problem

Nagaraj mr

Aug 28, 2012, 7:58:16 AM8/28/12
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hey folks,

Did anyone faced eye sight problem for riding  bike on Highways against high beam light? Just curious to knw. Bloody I got eye sight problem after riding brevet for 1 month continuously on highways especially in the nights whr my eyes exposed to high beam lights and I could feel vision problem. I never used goggles while riding. Today I got my eyes checked and its 0.5 vision problem ...Can someone elaborate about this problem?

--
Nagaraj MR

Vasu

Aug 28, 2012, 8:30:29 AM8/28/12
to Nagaraj mr, Bangalore Bikers Club
Dude... you are linking apples and oranges.

If you take care of your eyes then you won't get eyesight problems. It has nothing to do with riding brevets or travelling on highways at night.

biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

Ramanan RV

Aug 28, 2012, 9:47:08 AM8/28/12
to Vasu, Nagaraj mr, Bangalore Bikers Club
Nagaraj,
Your problem can be directly attributed to the constant viewing of on-coming vehicles on high beams. Most of the drivers in India are half brain dead morons who are not aware that this is an offence and I will not even include cabbies. Its the so-called educated class who do this even on brightly lit city roads.

As a cyclist I had this problem on the return leg of 300kms brevet from Krishnalgiri to Bangalore and all my brevet rides on the highways. i just avoid seeing the beam and just look at the ground a little bit to the left.

There should be some anti-glare googles available in the market, try googling!!

Cheers,
Venkat Rajmohan

Vijay

Aug 28, 2012, 9:45:20 AM8/28/12
to Ramanan RV, Vasu, Nagaraj mr, Bangalore Bikers Club
If you have power,buy glasses with what ever power you have with anti glare ex: crizal transition

Sent from my iPhone

berkeleydb

Aug 28, 2012, 11:58:08 AM8/28/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
whether it's the cause of your vision problem or not, if you feel that the glare from the headlights of oncoming vehicles is straining your eyes, might want to consider glasses/goggles with polarised lenses.  there is the 'polaroid' brand, which you'll find at shoppers stop and probably many other shops.  and then other brands too have a few models with polarised lenses.

i have been looking for ones with clear / light tint (for night riding) polarised lenses, and haven't found something to my liking yet.  also, i'd would like to get ones which are out and out sports wear -- like the btwin googles.  what i've seen at shoppers stop etc., are having a reasonably dark tint -- so don't seem suitable for night riding -- plus, they are only 'sporty looks' at best -- so field of vision (esp. on the side) is blocked by the frame.

-{db}.

NFL-Newfoundlove

Aug 28, 2012, 8:23:23 PM8/28/12
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
To be brutally honest, anti glare coating is a waste of funds. I've switched to contacts and use Decathlon's Btwin SG800's which have interchangeable visor. (4 shades) for night riding a clear visor can be used. I've no inputs on the polaroid front as i've not tried it out. No matter what glasses you wear, the simple high beam from even the TATA ace is powerful enough to blind you temporarily. The best precaution is to reduce speed when you are unsure of the road ahead. or get powerful flashlights for the bicycle and just look about 10-15mts on the road ahead (works best on a 4 lane highway :-P and when there is just 2 lanes you're at the mercy of buses and truckers..!!

berkeleydb

Nov 26, 2016, 11:24:22 AM11/26/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Posting on this old thread, as there doesn't seem to be anything more recent --

Came across this -- https://www.amazon.com/HODGSON-Polarized-Sunglasses-Multi-functional-Unbreakable/dp/B01ABD1CAW

Seems to be the only sports sunglasses I have come across which provides a dark & light tint (yellow) polarised lens.

Other features also look good -- flexible/unbreakable, anti-fogging, water resistant, etc.

In sports category, this site gives it top rank (#3 overall) -- http://bestbrandreviews.com/top-10-best-sunglasses-men-2016/

Anyone know of this brand, or has used it? Any firsthand experiences?

-{db}.