Tour Of Nilgiris TFN2018 Route Updates

Deepak Majipatil

Apr 16, 2018, 9:20:15β€―AM4/16/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Friends,

We are backΒ  with 11th Edition of Tour Of Nilgiris

Updating you all with the route details starting with day 1

Tour of Nilgiris 2018 Route Preview

Day 1 – To the Land of Hoysalas

Mysuru - Hassan

Dec 09 - It's a Sunday! and that means you need not fight for road space with the daily commuter <sigh!>

A new experiment this year by starting off from the city of palaces and lot of past history Mysuru. We have moved on from Bangalore flag off as the traffic on the route we ride out has increased tremendously and also the tree cover on the route has reduced due to lot of road development work.

Start your day with an awesome breakfast at the tour hotel, some pleasantries on the stage, lot of pictures with family and friends.. and then off we go.. we make a brisk exit from Mysuru city.

We will cover 125 km of super rolling terrain with heavy cross winds. The ride goes through most of the rural areas & smaller towns before it reaches our tour hotel at Southern Star, Hassan.Β

This would be 3rd time riding on that’s route and last one was five years back.

Once you reach Hassan and you got time, don’t miss visiting Belur which was the early capital of the Hoysala Empire. Belur along with Halebidu about 16 km away are one of the major tourist destinations in Karnataka.

Check out Venky’s blog from 2011 when he road on his fixie on the same route.

https://bvcoaching.in/2011/12/bulldog-goes-to-tfn-day-2-mysore-to-hassan/

Elevation details are inΒ http://tourofnilgiris.com/route-info/

Registrations for India's awesomest cycling tour begins on 1st of May 2018.. Come with us and explore South India on a bicycle.

Thanks for having a look our post.
We shall keep updating this thread with all the route details soon.
Keep following this thread.

Shoot us any queries if you have on our email id - dee...@tourofnilgiris.comΒ

Thanks & Best Regards,
Deepak

Deepak Majipatil

Apr 18, 2018, 2:22:49β€―AM4/18/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Tour of Nilgiris 2018 Route Preview

Day 2 – Explore Malenadu

Hassan – Kushalnagar

135KM | 1729 M+ | 1838 M-

Dec 10 – It’s a Monday! and that means you need not fight for road space with the regular holiday traffic in Malenadu.

An absolutely new route with full of rolling terrain and places we haven’t been there before.

Alur town is a place on the Malenadu region which has coffee estates and lot of other plantation crops. One of India’s Beautiful railway route goes through this town connecting Hassan and Mangalore.Β

The route through the beautiful backwaters Hemavathy reservoir and a cat 3 climb before getting to core Malenadu.Β
A bit of of Harangi, coffee and pepper estates before reaching Kodava heartland famous for Kodava warriors before reaching Purple palms resorts which is parallel to Kaveri River.

Sight seeing : Nisarga Dhama, Dubare Elephant training camp and Tibet settlement.

Food : Coffee, Pandi Curry and Kachampuli provides the sauce base for most Coorgi dishes.

Elevation details are inΒ http://tourofnilgiris.com/route-info/

Registrations for India's awesomest cycling tour begins on 1st of May 2018.. Come with us and explore South India on a bicycle.

Tag us usingΒ #TFN2018Β #EpicIndianTourΒ #TFNXI

​Thanks for having a look at our post.

We shall keep updating this thread with all the route details soon.
Keep following this thread.

Shoot us any queries if you have on our email id -Β dee...@tourofnilgiris.comΒ

Thanks & Best Regards,
Deepak

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

TFN Deepak

Apr 20, 2018, 9:59:32β€―PM4/20/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Tour of Nilgiris 2018 Route Preview

Day 3 - Unniappams on the roll

KUSHALNAGARA - SULTAN BATHERY
139KM | 2010 M+ | 1957 M-

From coffee county we will start riding to the God’s own country. It isn’t an easy ride to Sultan Bathery. The 150+ km route is full of rolling terrain..errr.. Should we say rolling hills?
Starting from Kushalnagar we ride past the Dubare Elephant training camp and onto Gonikoppal. If we are lucky we could see a tamed tusker from the training camp 🐘. This part of the route is a hilly terrain with coffee plantations on the slopes and paddy fields  🌾 on the plains lit up by the weak sunlight penetrating the morning fog. It might get a bit difficult to get a pedaling rhythm on this undulating terrain.
Past Kutta we enter the state of Kerala via the Tholpetty forest - A part of Wayanad wildlife sanctuary. Ride through the dense teak forests looking for spotted deers 🦌 and giant malabar squirrels  🐿️.
At about 100km mark if you spot several bikes parked in the middle of the jungle, take the cue and pull over to the famous Kuttetan’s Unniappam stall - a small shack serving piping hot uniappams and black tea in the middle of nowhere. (For the unaware :Β https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unni_appam)Β
From Kattikulam, we meander along the course of river Kabini to Panamaram and then start a rolling climb of about 23km towards Sultan Bathery.
We will stay at Hotel Great Jubilee in Sultan Bathery.
For the number crunchers : We would cycle 139 km climbing 2010m and descending 1957m. The entire route is full of rolling hills with around 5 Cat 5 climbs and 1 cat 4 climb.

And well again, we could write pages about the route but it is best experienced riding with us. Registrations for India's awesomest cycling tour begins on 1st of May 2018.. Come with us and explore South India on a bicycle  🚴

Elevation details are inΒ http://tourofnilgiris.com/route-info/
Registrations for India's awesomest cycling tour begins on 1st of May 2018.. Come with us and explore South India on a bicycle.
Tag us usingΒ #TFN2018Β #EpicIndianTourΒ #TFNXI

—––––———–––—–––-———–––———
THE BEST Of TFN
—––––———–––—––––———–––———
It's 11th year for us and we are excited.Β
The ride this year is from 8th December to 16th December 2018Β
Registration opens on May 1st 2018
—––––———–––—––––———–––———

berkeleydb

Apr 22, 2018, 7:50:37β€―PM4/22/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Awesome routes... and the periodic posts are a great way to generate the buzz around TFN. :)

-{db}.

Deepak Majipatil

Apr 22, 2018, 11:45:22β€―PM4/22/18
to dhawal, Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Man. Will keep posting about it.

On Mon 23 Apr, 2018, 5:20 AM berkeleydb, <dha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Awesome routes... and the periodic posts are a great way to generate the buzz around TFN. :)

-{db}.

TFN Deepak

Apr 24, 2018, 12:17:47β€―AM4/24/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Tour of Nilgiris 2018 Route Preview

Day 4 – THE WALL. The birth of the of the Brave in Everyone πŸ†πŸŽ–οΈπŸ…

SULTAN BATHERY – OOTY

104KM | 2791 M+ | 1233 M-

Make sure you are rested well at Sultan Bathery β€˜coz day 4 is The birth of the of the Brave in Everyone .
Start from Sultan Bathery and ride through the bamboo forests of Bitherkad into Tamil Nadu. Welcome to the Tea estates of Devarshola. You could sit here admiring the green on the blueπŸ•οΈfor hours. Alas! We gotta hurry! we’ve got some dragons to slay today.
Pedal down to Gudalur and then turn towards Thorapalli for lunch in a plantation and then regroup to ride through the Mudumalai Wildlife SanctuaryπŸ…. Stay with the group riding through the reserve. It can get a bit hot and humid here. Keep your eyes open for the peacocks and spotted deer🦌. If we are lucky, we could spot an elephant or two.🐘

At about 75 kilometers after Mavanalla, dart through the straight stretches of road..and lo and behold.. There they are - the massive mountains of NIlgiris - The face of Kalhatti ghat.⛰️ Over 12 kilometers and 36 hairpin bends, you will climb 1230 meters vertically. That’s a relentless 10% gradient all the way to the top. Pedal, walk or crawl.. many make it to the top and some come back to fight it out another day. No matter what happens, everyone will have a story to tell about Kalhtatty. This... is the day Heroes will be made.
Past Kalhatty it is another 12 km to the hotel, passing through Ooty and towards Doddabetta and then to Highland Hotel Accord Ooty

For the Garmin geeks : Total distance is 104 km with 2791 m of climbs and 1233 m of descent. The Kalhatti is a Hors Categorie climb. Noolapuzha - Nellikottai is a Cat 3 climb and there will 5 more cat 5 climbs on this day.

Elevation details are in http://tourofnilgiris.com/route-info/
Registrations for India's awesomest cycling tour begins on 1st of May 2018.. Come with us and explore South India on a bicycle.

Tag us using #TFN2018 #EpicIndianTour #TFNXI
—––––———–––—–––-———–––———
THE BEST Of TFN
—––––———–––—––––———–––———
It's 11th year for us and we are excited.
The ride this year is from 8th December to 16th December 2018
Registration opens on May 1st 2018
—––––———–––—––––———–––———

Message has been deleted

Ali Poonawala

Apr 28, 2018, 6:08:25β€―AM4/28/18
to TFN Deepak, Sharath Chandar
Hi Deepak...
You write so beautifully !
love it !
alnost tempted to join !!

Warm regardsΒ
Ali

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 14:26 TFN Deepak, <deepak....@gmail.com> wrote:

Tour of Nilgiris 2018 Route Preview

Day 6 – THE MISTY MEADOWS

OOTY – OOTY
114KM | 2525 M+ | 2520 M-

After resting and exploring Ooty, it is time go exploring further into the Nilgiris on Day 6.
Start pedalling down on the Kotagiri road enjoying the early morning mistΒ πŸŒ₯️on the tea estates. Stop by at the vast valleys to catch the early morning sunβ˜€οΈΒ warming up the never ending green sprawl. Turn right at Kattabettu and descend towards Bandisolai on the narrow roads with absolutely no traffic.Bird lovers, you are in for a treat.🐦πŸ₯🐀Keep those eyes and ears open for skylarks, thrushes, parakeets and many more feathered friends.
Pass through Brooklands, Bedford, Wellington.. errr. No we didn't teleport you to Britain. These names remenants of Coonoor's colonial past from John Sullivan's time.At about 35km start your first ascent ⛰️ of the day for about 10km towards Hulikal. A rolling terrain then takes us through Selas, Kunnakombai and down to Kundah dam. Don't forget to stop by at the Chamraj tea factory outlet for some hot teaβ˜•οΈ. And then Take a moment to soak in the splendid vistas as you around Kundah dam.
And now.. we saddle up and start climbing. Ascending through Yedakad, Emerald bazzar and Fern hill we climb around 1300+ meters over 40 odd kilometre to reach back Ooty. A tough climb, but hey you did slay Kalhatti 2 days ago. Chug on champ!
This day is guaranteed to be take your breath away.. either the breathtaking views or the climbs that leave you breathless.
To the number crunchers : It is 113km with total ascent of 2525m with 2x cat 2 climbs, 2x cat 3 climbs, one cat 4 and 3 cat 5 climbs

Elevation details are inΒ http://tourofnilgiris.com/route-info/

Tag us usingΒ #TFN2018Β #EpicIndianTourΒ #TFNXI

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bangalore Bikers Club" group.

Deepak Majipatil

Apr 30, 2018, 12:38:45β€―AM4/30/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Tour of Nilgiris 2018 Route Preview

Day 7 – ROCK AND ROLL

OOTY – KALPETTA

145KM | 1807 M+ | 3467 M-

It is time to head back from Nilgiris and as we always say.. "It's mostly downhill!" and it is for real.. A real downhill day.
Put on those wind blockers and ride down to Ooty in the morning cold and head towards Pykarra - don't know how many Bollywood movies were shot here in the 80s and 90s. Instead of the steep kalhatti, we will take the longer but gradual Naduvattam - Gudalur route. After a bit of rolling terrain at Pykara, it is a long winding downhill till Gudalur completely lined by Tea estates and Nilgiri plantations. Past Gudalur we still move to Devarshola and then take left turn at Nellakottai and enter into the local road filled with tea gardens before we reach Devala to get back on the NH 12. There is a Valley viewpoint call Needle Rock View Point, Pakkana which many say is really beautiful.

The route towards Kalpetta a complete fast rolling terrain with more tea gardens and rubber plantations before we end in our Day end official hotel Green Gates.

Elevation details are inΒ http://tourofnilgiris.com/route-info/

Tag us usingΒ #TFN2018Β #EpicIndianTourΒ #TFNXI

—––––———–––—–––-———–––———
THE BEST Of TFN
—––––———–––—––––———–––———
It's 11th year for us and we are excited.
The ride this year is from 8th December to 16th December 2018
Registration opens on May 1st 2018
—––––———–––—––––———–––———

Praveen M

May 1, 2018, 3:14:53β€―PM5/1/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
"
A new experiment this year by starting off from the city of palaces and lot of past history Mysuru."

There is also a little bit of past cycling history in Mysuru, Hehehe. Can send you the link if you want.

Deepak Majipatil

May 2, 2018, 2:53:14β€―AM5/2/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Praveen,

Would love to look at it. we are working on a book and it would be awesome to get some ideas from it.

Thanks a lot.

Deepak

Praveen M

May 2, 2018, 8:58:50β€―AM5/2/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Deepak,
I do not know if my blog post helps you in your book as I do not know if you are coming out with a book about your event or about cycling in India in general.
Also I am not sure if this little cycling history from mysuru qualifies to get a mention in a book.

Anyway, I will post a new post in this group with the link to my blog. It was never posted here. I'm reformatting as it is screwed up a little. Also it may not be appropriate to use your thread to post it.

-Praveen

Deepak Majipatil

May 2, 2018, 11:54:14β€―AM5/2/18
to Praveen M, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi PraveenΒ

Sendin your blog link. Then we read it and decide if we will be able to use any of your blog information.Β

This year we are flagging off from Mysuru, so I think it would definitely help.Β

Best regards,Β
DeepakΒ

Praveen M

May 2, 2018, 1:42:31β€―PM5/2/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Deepak,
sent you the link, also posted it in the group here.

BR Praveen