Bliss in the hills route update

Chidambaran Subramanian

Sep 19, 2016, 10:14:45 PM9/19/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club)
This is the most likely final route for Bliss In The Hills. The elevation gain has reduced slightly ( as per ride with gps), but it will still be a little challenging

Opendro

Sep 27, 2016, 1:40:00 AM9/27/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
So, finally, how many are riding? I heard that a lot of fake registrations happened.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Sep 27, 2016, 1:50:34 AM9/27/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
18 at last count

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Prashanth Chengi

Sep 27, 2016, 2:58:08 AM9/27/16
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Fake registrations? What's that, Open? You mean people who registered and decided not to ride? Or spam registrations??

/Prashanth

Opendro

Chidambaran Subramanian

Sep 27, 2016, 6:25:57 AM9/27/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Even I was a bit bemused by the 'fake registraton' phrase ;)

Opendro

Sep 27, 2016, 9:31:10 AM9/27/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I never register until I decide to ride. If I decide to ride, I always pay up immediately if there is a mode of payment available.

May be the word "fake" is a bit offensive. But I think, its meaning is apt here. It simply means - the registration is not genuine, i.e. rider never intended to complete the registration formality.

Prashanth Chengi

Sep 27, 2016, 9:50:44 AM9/27/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Not everybody is Open :) I registered before my leave application and flight booking could go through, but after that, made my payment as quickly as I could, but that's because I'm traveling specifically to ride Bliss. Others might decide to register first and see if they can maybe get ready for it.  Also, many fence-sitters might be afraid of not being able to register at the last minute, even if they decide to go for it, so go ahead with the registration anyway, and hope to be able to psyche themselves to do it.  I also found the whole closing of registrations for brevet rides (not BITH, but other rides) very funny.  A brevet ride (again, not BITH or other super long rides) is supposed to be 100% self-supported, so the organizer does nothing extra for you the participant, except fill out your timesheet with name and checkpoint info, and that's something that can be done in 10 minutes. For my local BRMs, I do email the organizers beforehand, but technically, I can show up 30 minutes before the ride and still do it. I always pay on the day of the ride, and don't pay, if I don't ride. That's how it works here.

/Prashanth

Opendro

Sep 27, 2016, 10:02:51 AM9/27/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
That is a good point. One should just be able to turn up at the start line and pay and ride. It used to be that way initially.

Chidu, I think once you have the minimum required number/fund to organize the event, you should just open it to all on the spot. The additional fund will be useful for making the events better too.

About the fence-sitters, I cannot fault them because the system permits them to register without paying. Please just read the word "fake" just as a dictionary word that I thought fit in the situation. I didn't mean to rile anyone. Probably "incomplete" registrations could do well. Sorry guys.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Sep 27, 2016, 11:57:12 AM9/27/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
I guess we can enable on the spot rides. The only issue is that the responses for the short distances can be huge and we might be underprepared.

For a ride like BITH, I just want to make sure I get enough chances to brief the participants. It is not a ride for the faint hearted

(Not that it is extremely difficult, but you need a certain base)

Chidambaran Subramanian

Sep 27, 2016, 11:57:33 AM9/27/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
We provide mid point support in BITH, it is the only ride where we have supported somewhat (and I believe it is essential , withouth the Kalpetta support it might get too gruelling)

Chiddu

Prashanth Chengi

Sep 27, 2016, 12:33:27 PM9/27/16
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Totally agree with you, on the need for the mid point bag support, Chiddu. The 1000 that I did in Sweden actually had two bag drop points, where there was also dinner arranged. Made things a lot easier.  There, they actually enforced common starts, so fast riders would get to the stop point early and slow ones late, but everybody restarted at the same time in the morning.

/Prashanth

Opendro

Sep 28, 2016, 6:33:38 AM9/28/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Yay!

About the difficulty, one just has to know what he/she is doing ;)

Elevation wise, it is a 1.2% gain overall. Just plan the Kalpetta and Avinashi control points meticulously. Everything else should fall in place.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Sep 28, 2016, 7:36:24 AM9/28/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16873307

The route. Please point out any errors. (Same as before except I have corrected dome errors) It comes to 1199.2 ( don't ask me how, ridewithgps figures) elevation 13700 odd

Opendro

Sep 28, 2016, 8:08:57 AM9/28/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I didn't know that you have changed the route from Madikeri to Virajpet. It is now via Siddapura. I already knew that you have chopped Periya.

The cue sheet still does not have the controls marked. I suppose, you will do it when you finally print it, specially Belur and Chundale.

Shreyas k

Sep 28, 2016, 8:21:02 AM9/28/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Siddapura is name of village in Virajpet taluk :)

Prashanth Chengi

Sep 28, 2016, 8:22:46 AM9/28/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Second the request for control point information in the cue sheet. Also, does anybody have a paid account on ridewithgps? Would be nice to have  gpx tracks with cues as waypoints. That's a premium feature, I believe.

/Prashanth

Opendro

Sep 28, 2016, 9:11:39 AM9/28/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I think, you get the gpx tracks without payment. But you cannot download the track and map offline in the app unless you pay. The fee is nominal. $6 per month. But remember to cancel it once you are done. Otherwise, they will keep charging every month.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Sep 28, 2016, 10:40:43 AM9/28/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Yes  The Siddapura route is scenic, so instead of riding through the missing beauty of Periya at night you go through a route which you can enjoy during the day.

The changed section from last  year is Madikeri - Chettali - Siddapura - Virajpet - Iritty - Peravoor - Kotiyoor - Boys Town

Rest remains the same. Roads were good and hopefully will stay that way. And I think the route might be marginally easier than last year, but not too easy.

Sayi RamaKrishna

Sep 29, 2016, 1:28:52 PM9/29/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com, ggi-...@googlegroups.com
I have two queries

1. What if alternate route is taken ? for eg, to take Chettali route from Madikeri, there are two ways as clearly seen in Map, and there are lot of chances that one may not take exactly as marked in. Is it allowed to take such alternate routes ?
2. What if a  ATM/Auto control is missed ? How much margin is allowed in places ?

Opendro

Sep 30, 2016, 4:34:36 AM9/30/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Brevet organizer is supposed to ensure that whenever there is a shorter way that could avoid the designated path, there is a control point which would prevent the mistake or deliberate deviation. Or that particular stretch should be manned. Beyond that, I think one is allowed to take an alternative if there is one, but not totally off the course. For instance, Chitradurga to main road had two ways. Hubli exit to Belgaum too had two ways I suppose.

However, note that the organizer is allowed to insert surprise control points when the event is going on. Unless it is just a small deviation that runs as alternative to the designated path, one is expected to stay on course.

About question 2), what did you mean by "miss", miss the control point altogether? That is not allowed. Missed by a small margin of cut-off time, you can petition the organizer with a valid reason which should be something beyond your control and something that is not normal. e.g. road blockage.

Prashanth Chengi

Sep 30, 2016, 4:43:47 AM9/30/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Here in Europe, there are often bike paths which run parallel to busier routes. A brevet participant has the right to choose to ride on the bike path, when the bike path and brevet course run parallel/close to each other.

/Prashanth