Building a hummer

Sherl

Jun 24, 2016, 9:27:36 AM6/24/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
This one is about CX bikes. Long story short, Marin Gestalt I'm eyeing for the 60 will land only by September was the word from Chetan. Can't resist to pedal one.
Already own a suitable candidate, Trek 4300D 21". Would converting this into a Hummer aka CX would be worthy Job? Gestalt 1 is around 60 and comes with bunch of nice specs and putting the cost over here with Trek

Microshift 3x8/9 brifters 7k or I'm looking for STI Shimano shifters within 7k, anyone willing to give it can message me, please no thumb sora.
Surly fork 6k
Drop bars 1.5k
Bb7 Road disc would use same 160 Rotor - 8k
Cables and bar tape and housing 1.5k

Am I missing something? I'm confused with the bike shop I run.

Anyone put me in touch with Bikeszone Abhi BTW.

Shankar Shastry

Jun 27, 2016, 2:29:44 AM6/27/16
to Sherl, Bangalore Bikers Club
You're missing two things.

1. Tyres
2. Geometry

I have microshift 2x9s on my newly built up surly crosscheck that I *might* want to sell for a 10 speed upgrade. That aside, I think the marin gestalt geometry will be vastly different from the MTB that you want to convert because of the well, frame geometry and wheel size as well. If converting the trek is your only choice, it might make sense. Else, I'd recommend the gestalt as an overall better bike since it comes with everything you want as stock.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Valar

Jun 27, 2016, 2:33:11 AM6/27/16
to Shankar Shastry, Bangalore Bikers Club

Shankar,
Tyres would be Schwable Road cruiser or marathon Greenguard. Only thing worries me is Geometry and sourcing flared drops in the country apart from the 29 vs 26 for CX.

Shankar Shastry

Jun 27, 2016, 2:37:07 AM6/27/16
to Valar, Bangalore Bikers Club
A modified trek with 26" wheels will not be the same as a purpose built cyclocross bike. Your drivetrain will also be very different compared to the marin gestalt.

Valar

Jun 27, 2016, 2:44:38 AM6/27/16
to Shankar Shastry, Bangalore Bikers Club

Exactly hence so the confusion. I might end up need to ride that since I build that. But the availability of Marin and particularly Gestalt range is very peculiar as I haven't noticed single one in the country. Might be bad eyes.

Drivetrain is not much of a problem as I can swap cranks and get the same ratio of course FD needs a swap, which I'm not looking right now.