Ride report from my 400 BRM in May

Prashanth Chengi

Jul 23, 2016, 9:40:02 AM7/23/16
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Thanks for the enthusiastic response for my 600 ride report.
This year, I completed my first ever SR, and even rode and finished a 1000 BRM for the first time, but if I ask myself about the ride that really helped to toughen me up and give me the mental strength to take on bigger rides, it was the 400 BRM that I did in May of this year.

Here's the ride report.

/Prashanth

Ali Poonawala

Jul 23, 2016, 1:18:11 PM7/23/16
to Prashanth Chengi, Sharath Chandar

Hi Prashanth..
Very well written..
The elements of coincidences, otherwise attributed to luck or Karma, makes us what we are !!

Most of us would want to believe otherwise ;D

Warm regards
Ali Poonawala

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Opendro

Jul 25, 2016, 3:02:21 AM7/25/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Wonderful report. The bits in garmin reminded me about your warning when I set out with Garmin 920xt for trans am. I will be writing the report soon. For now, let me just tell you that the watch hung up as you warned. I did test it here on my runs enough amount of times to get the confidence. I was ready to stop and charge as it also didn't support charge and ride. But the hang... it just wouldn't respond to anything. It happened right on day 1, in the late evening (8:30 PM). Then I gave a long power button press expecting a reboot or switch off. The next thing I saw, everything got wiped out. The remaining story is a suspense ;) Kidding, I don't want to digress your ride report further. But just wanted to point out the awes of garmin.

Prashanth Chengi

Jul 25, 2016, 3:32:01 AM7/25/16
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Open. And now that I've begun to stick around with riders (rode with a bunch for the 1000 BRM), I've been able to swap more stories, and a common theme is the Garmin issues. Two riders got their rides wiped out on the Edge 800 on that ride itself, because they didn't stop the activity at the end of the day; they continued onto the second day, and it hung up. There are many forum posts about Garmins running into memory related issues, when being handling very long activities, particularly when also navigating.  Now that I have a dedicated GPS for navigation (Garmin GPSMAP64 st), I use the Edge 500 only for in ride metrics, and I truncate rides (finish activity) at around 350 or so km, and later join the fit files. I also ensure that I clear out all older rides, courses etc before starting a big ride. This is pretty much all that we can do, and even after that, it comes down to luck!

/Prashanth