Bike for commuting: Safety aspect

Dileep

Jul 28, 2009, 2:04:02 PM7/28/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi,

Yesterday, I had an unfortunate event.

I was coming back from my office (Whitefield to HSR Layout) on my bike
at around 5.30 p.m.
I had my helmet on, and was wearing bright clothes to make myself
visible.
And, I was strictly following the traffic rules.

At Marathahally junction, I had to slow down considerably (I did not
stop or got down from my saddle) since a truck was blocking the way. I
was riding very slowly to give enough time for the truck driver to
clear the way. Then I suddenly felt a jerk and realized that a cab has
hit my bike from behind. I could balance the bike and I did not fall
down. When I looked back, I realized that he was talking on his
mobile. He was showing me actions suggesting me to take the event
lightly. I asked him to stop. But, he cared a damn. He accelerated and
went ahead.

Since there the traffic was reasonably heavy, I could spot him in the
next signal junction. I blocked him, and wanted to have a dialogue
with him (as I was really upset and angry). But when the signal got
cleared and I made a move to clear the way, he just accelerated and
went.

Though it was a small accident (no visible damage to my bike or me!),
I started doubting the safety aspect of using our bikes for regular
commute. Most of the time, we cyclist get the beating from autos,
bikers and the cabs.

The easiest way to make our commute safer may be to take routes having
less traffic or avoid commuting at rush hours. But that may not be
possible on a day-to-day basis.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Dileep

Georg Leuzinger

Jul 28, 2009, 2:32:45 PM7/28/09
to Dileep, Bangalore Bikers Club
hi dileep,
sad to hear this and worse still to experience it on your own bike and body!
most motorists cant be bothered about us, particularly the sumo, Qualis and indica cabby lot.
you / we  have to protect ourselfs only. this kind of thing can happen any time, any where to any one of us, so lets not get discouraged and move on, but with more care and precaution all times, like:
. very regularly look back, turn your head and check the going ons in the rear the biggest danger for a cyclist comes from the rear always
.a mirror is a good thing in town traffic, on helmet or on bike (mine broke off recently)
. avoid the ring road at peak hours and similar high density traffic roads
. use back roads always as far as possible
. explore your commuting routes until you find the best one, even a a bit longer like from Whitefield cross over to Varthur and take the old village road on the southern side of lake towards western direction and ring road, cross over and continue towards Bellandur , turn south and back to ring road near sarjapur junction, but you cant circumnavigate the iblur shooting range to proceed  towards HSR layout. or can you ? let us know !

anyone a good idea for this route , keeping peak hour traffic in mind?

Yogesh N. Rao

Jul 28, 2009, 3:07:37 PM7/28/09
to Georg Leuzinger, Dileep, Bangalore Bikers Club
I hate the White Indica and Sumo cab guys. Those cab guys are sleep
deprived and have high testosterone levels. They treat Bangalore like
a real-life movie set of Fast and Furious.

Rajat Agrawal

Jul 28, 2009, 5:34:21 PM7/28/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Ever since I started commuting by cycle, time and again I have pondered over the safety aspect of cycling when used as a means of transport.

Even though the statistics point to a low accident rate, the danger of being hurt sometimes fatally is ever present. An increasing number of bikers and daily commuters will undoubtedly increase the probability that our community may very well have to deal with some really bad news sometime or the other.

Each time out on the cycle we are aware of this undeniable fact and yet we ride unafraid, extra cautious maybe, but unafraid nevertheless. We ride our cycles not for lack of choice but because we want to and we choose to.

It is my great pleasure to ride each time, either alone or with others, secure in the knowledge that in however small a way it may be I am making a difference in this fragile world of ours.

-Rajat

Deepa Mohan

Jul 28, 2009, 6:53:20 PM7/28/09
to Rajat Agrawal, Bangalore Bikers Club
I must say, that the safety factor has been one reason why I don't venture too far on my cycle these days; having been hit by an auto thrice and by a car once...luckily, with no great ill-effects...makes me realize that I cannot afford to have a nasty fall, helmet or not....so that's the reason why I use my cycle as local transport! But I do realize that even in those few kilometres, some hero-driving-a-car could still do some damage...

Deepa.

Mayank Rungta

Jul 28, 2009, 9:48:25 PM7/28/09
to Rajat Agrawal, Bangalore Bikers Club
I found this rather useful -

http://bicyclesafe.com/

--
Have a nice day,
Mynk

http://rideacycle.org/
http://www.tourofnilgiris.com/
http://ngopost.org/story.php?title=Ride_a_Cycle_Foundation_-_RAC-F
o__
_> /__
(_) \(_)... Burn fat not fuel - Byke along to a healthier lyfe and cleaner world! :)
--
Have a nice day,
Mynk

http://rideacycle.org/
http://www.tourofnilgiris.com/
http://ngopost.org/story.php?title=Ride_a_Cycle_Foundation_-_RAC-F
o__
_> /__
(_) \(_)... Burn fat not fuel - Byke along to a healthier lyfe and cleaner world! :)

Sameer Shisodia

Jul 28, 2009, 10:22:53 PM7/28/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Honestly, nothings gonna be 100% safe. Given the #bikers who commute now, I'd say we've had v few incidents (touchwood n all that). I experience a way higher incidence of "near misses" on my bike.

Sure - a close call like that does leave you shaken - but by and large, given that you're a slow speed guy in the slower parts of the roads and your "intersect" with traffic is low - its probably safer than motorbikes. Cars surely do afford some safety by virtue of the metal between you and the next guy, but its a pretty tiny %age, there are other benefits in return, and you can really kill ppl in a car.

We try and eliminate *all* risk, and *all* inconvenience, hence the cars, airconditioning, etc (which again, do not eliminate anything but just offer a different set of %ages). We got to start asking how much the risk really is.  10k+ folks lose their lives because of auto-led pollution in Delhi - is that a risk we're ok living with ?

Like you pointed out - at an individual level - sure there's a greater mathematical risk than inside a car/bus. But thats a choice we're making - and like Rajat said - it gives us pleasure. There's also a greater probability of my fighting of disease and building stronger immunity. And a way stronger probability that if the collective effort does snowball (remember, its *only* a sum of a lot of individual efforts), the roads, air will be safer anyhow.

And personally, the risk is not really higher enough to worry about.

Rgds,
Sameer

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Mayank Rungta <mr....@gmail.com> wrote:

I found this rather useful -

http://bicyclesafe.com/

--
Have a nice day,
Mynk

http://rideacycle.org/
http://www.tourofnilgiris.com/
http://ngopost.org/story.php?title=Ride_a_Cycle_Foundation_-_RAC-F
 o__
 _> /__
(_) \(_)... Burn fat not fuel - Byke along to a healthier lyfe and cleaner world! :)

--
Sameer Shisodia, Bangalore
(c) +91-98451-80207

farhadtarapore

Jul 29, 2009, 12:57:11 AM7/29/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
So what are you saying? Two wheelers are not safe? Thats really not
news to me man. At the leela palace signal on airport road, most
bikers (read motorcyclists) totally ignore the signal and rush through
even if it is red and pedestrians are crossing. I usually get off my
cycle and cross the road along with the pedestrians to get to the
other side. This one biker happened to break the signal and his bike's
front wheel hit my cycle's front wheel while passing by (at slower
speed). All I could do is yell at him as he sped off. Police just
stand there listlessly. I had a good mind of running behind his bike
and giving a hard whack on his helmet :)

Yogesh N. Rao

Jul 29, 2009, 1:01:56 AM7/29/09
to Sameer Shisodia, Bangalore Bikers Club
One other thing to remember is that Scooters and Motorcycles are not
safer than bicycle. After my fall two weeks back and the resulting
pain, I have been observing the number of motorcyclists that skid and
fall down. This morning a motorcyclist had hit the median on Bhaskaran
road (next to Ulsoor lake). I am sure the poor guy was in pain.

farhadtarapore

Jul 29, 2009, 1:18:21 AM7/29/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
On Jul 29, 7:22 am, Sameer Shisodia <get.sam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's also a greater probability of my fighting of disease and building stronger immunity.

That is really questionable man. I get watery eyes and running nose
after almost every ride regardless of what time of the day I ride
(i.e. traffic or no traffic). Amber shades are one option I can use to
address the problem of watery eyes. But what about nose?? I have an
expensive anti-pollution mask that I had purchased from the Gear shop
in Bandra (Mumbai). But I find it hopeless since I am breathing so
hard that wearing the mark becomes uncomfortable and restrictive and
if I loosen the mask it becomes useless since the filtering is
hampered. So frankly, I don't see any solution in sight other than
inhaling all these pollutants and ending up worse after the ride than
I was before it.
So frankly I don't see how I am building stronger immunity. Rather, I
am actually adding fuel to my allergies.

Mayank Rungta

Jul 29, 2009, 1:45:25 AM7/29/09
to farhadtarapore, Bangalore Bikers Club

> So frankly I don't see how I am building stronger immunityRather, I

> am actually adding fuel to my allergies.

I can vouch for the immunity bit - I have allergic rhinitis (hay fever)
and have ridden in Blr for over 6 yrs now. My doctor had told the best
way to fight the allergy is to get used to the allergents so I never
used a mask. I breathe through the nose almost always! A mask is not
gonna help u build any immunity - not to forget the sweating and
irritation with them on. End of it I find myself more resistant to such
things than those riding their _enclosed_ four wheelers! :D

I have clubbed this with cold bath and I can assure u that u will find
ur self getting those sneeze attacks much lesser. Watering eyes are
taken care of with proper shades (recommend Decathalon shades available
at BOTS n Decathalon Store). For your nose it will take a few days to
get used to. Drink loadsa water before the ride. U will see a change in
a few days. Be persistent! :)

To re-iterate - loadsa fluids (water's the best), _cold_ bath preferably
early morning and breathing through the nose when cycling - longer the
breath the better! :)

BTW if it helps there are some people I know who run on the same roads -
to or from work! ;) Need to catchup on that! :D

Rajat Agrawal

Jul 29, 2009, 3:00:14 AM7/29/09
to Mayank Rungta, farhadtarapore, Bangalore Bikers Club
Guys, you do realize that we are all made different in at least one or more ways. What works for one may not work for another and what troubles one may not necessarily bother the second person. So figure out what works best for you and do it.

@farhad - try a different mask.... I found totobobo fairly effective for particulate matter without any airflow reduction, u will however need to get used to the condensation. I believe they are available at BOTS in bangalore and I am sure they will not have a problem sending you a courier.
 Also do you wear contact lenses? If yes then use riding glasses (with a solid/silicone/foam nose bridge and lining to prevent air from reaching the eyes) for the commute and see if it helps. If you wear regular glasses then depending on whether you have astigmatism or not you may be able to get curved riding glasses made. You could also try a head mounted visor (the kind sported by riders wearing turbans, dunno if you have seen one) to prevent grit from getting into your eye.

-Rajat

Dileep

Jul 29, 2009, 3:20:44 AM7/29/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi,

Thanks for all suggestions/discussion for a safer bike ride.

I do not have a rear view mirror on my bike.
I regularly look back (especially if I have to change directions, left
or right) while in traffic.
However, if rear view mirrors are useful, I would definitely go for
one. Please comment.
Which is a better model, and where can I purchase the same?

I have realized that the traffic is manageable in outer ring road
(From HSR to Whitefield) during morning hours.
Generally, I start from home at 7.30 - 8.10 a.m. However, on my return
trip, I find riding the bike in outer ring road (especially after 5.30
p.m) really risky.

I have tried the route Varthur-Gunjur-(Gunjur-Kodathi Road)-Sarjapur
road to reach Sarjapur-outer ring road junction. I still have to pass
through iblur & agara junction to reach HSR layout. The route is 10 km
more compared to Whitefield-Marathahally-(Sarjapur-Outer ring road
junction), and it adds another 30-35 minutes to my return journey.
However, the route has less traffic, is scenic, and the roads are
good. I am planning to use this route for my return journey whenever
possible.

I also tried the route Varthur-Gunjur-Karmalapuram Rly Stn.-Sarjapur
road. Some stretches in this route are not good since some road works
are happening in that area.

From google maps, I see that it may be possible to circumnavigate the
agara junction if I take the Haralur Road. I can then reach 27th Cross
road in HSR layout. I will have to check this option out. I see that
it may not add much distance. Has anyone tried this route?

With best regards,
Dileep

Vasu

Jul 29, 2009, 3:44:31 AM7/29/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Coming back to the point:

a) most cabs have a sticker in the glass at the back saying something
like ' if this driver is driving negligently call xxxx xxxx' mostly
there is one landline and one mobile phone number. if such a number
was written then you should have called that no. and lodged a
complaint against the car no. If such a number was not there then hard
luck man...

b) I stay in HSR and I too work in whitefield (iGate Global Solutions)
and the days I ride my bike to work I take this route: HSR -> Agara ->
ORR - Sarjapura Junc -> Dommasandra circle -> Varthur circle -> Hope
Farm circle ->Big Bazaar signal and then Vydehi Hospital and then
office. Total distance is about 31kms. Multiple advantages: 1) you
ride for a longer time. 2) lotsa greenery all around and shade on the
road as well. 3) excellent tarred roads. The only glitch is that there
are a no. of trucks and buses on the stretch between Dommasandra
Circle and Varthur Circle but they are not much of a harm because
Truck drivers are usually very careful while driving. So, you can try
this route instead of Marathahalli - ORR.

my2c

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jul 29, 2009, 6:31:07 AM7/29/09
to Dileep, Bangalore Bikers Club
I've seen rear view mirrors on BOTS.

Pankaj C

Jul 29, 2009, 7:10:37 AM7/29/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
@Dileep

For bypassing Agara junction you can take a left on Haralur road just
after Springfield apratments.
It is a pretty nice road with relatively less traffic. You can connect
to 27th main anywhere near Somsundarpalya.
Should not be too long compared to the Agara route if you are staying
in Sector 2-3.

BTW, yesterday i took the straight road via Agara junction and was
surprised to find easy gaps between the standed traffic.
But I think I just got lucky and it might be risky riding it on a
daily basis.

Cheers
Pankaj

On Jul 29, 3:31 pm, Chidambaran Subramanian <chi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen rear view mirrors on BOTS.
>
> > > indica cabby lot.- Hide quoted text -

Bhupinder Singh

Jul 29, 2009, 9:02:25 AM7/29/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Speaking of applying brakes reminds me, Hey Vasu, any openings in
iGate?

Nikhil

Jul 29, 2009, 9:02:29 AM7/29/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Dileep

Jul 29, 2009, 9:41:37 AM7/29/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
@ Pankaj,

Thanks for the route map. I had mapped that route in google maps, and
was about to try it. I am staying at Sector 7. But that does not
matter. It may add maximum 1 km or so. HSR Layout-27th Main Road-
Haralur road-Sarjapura road-(Gunjur-Kodathi) road-Gunjur-Varthur-
Whitefield. Great!

Regards,
Dileep

dwitee krishna panda

Dec 3, 2015, 11:12:59 AM12/3/15
to Bangalore Bikers Club, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com, dileep.v...@gmail.com
Hi Guys ,

Is there any body commuting from HSR to whitefield in road bike.

@Dileep , I know the post is quite old but I guess this is the route you are talking about

please let me know how is this road for road bike and  is this route okay for evening after 9 pm.

Regards,
Dwitee

Vishwas Baradhwaj

Dec 5, 2016, 5:36:05 AM12/5/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com
good point sameer

Chidambaran Subramanian

Dec 5, 2016, 5:55:06 AM12/5/16
to Vishwas Baradhwaj, Bangalore Bikers Club
Wow you just revived  a thread, but relevant though

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---