tour of nilgiris training

anand raman

Jul 2, 2013, 8:55:12 PM7/2/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
hi all,

I have enrolled for the tour this year. I am sure there are many people on this group who have already completed previous editions of this tour. Looking for training tips / advice  from the pros.

thanks for your time

anand

Sameer Shisodia

Jul 2, 2013, 9:47:46 PM7/2/13
to anand raman, Bangalore Bikers Club
I dunno about pros, but here's some from someone who signed up just a month and a half before I did my first TFN in 2008 :) (Did 2 more after that)

- ride regularly, and get comfortable with "listening to your legs"
- there's lots of time - increase distance/time on the saddle (the latter is more imp) by 20-30km at a time.
- at least 3-4 Nandi climbs. At least a couple of double climbs. The Ooty climb will still feel longer, though pleasant.
- ride in the sun - you will have to
- figure out YOUR fuel intake - food, fluids. Screw advice - each of us needs different things (I throw in enough tea and swigs of Coke/Pepsi, apart from water, electral, tender coconut, and lots of food!).
- if you're planning to carry a camera, phone etc - practice carrying them on board
- layered clothing for the Nilgiris. Marking it right so the volunteers can trace it easily when you drop it off with them
- fixing a puncture (for me, this boiled down to carrying 2 spare tubes and replacing them - could never fix a puncture)
- positive, cheerful attitude in the face of humidity and unending climbs in Wayanad, cheers, jeers and smart ones from the locals - you'll find all kinds. When you're tired, you can lose it - don't

Have a great ride!

Rgds,
Sameer

anand raman

Jul 3, 2013, 3:13:14 PM7/3/13
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, anand raman
Thanks Sameer for the advice. This is really helpful.

Your advice on fixing a flat rings a bell. I spent almost 2 hours today to get the tube and tire properly aligned. As you mentioned getting used to these common hurdles is going to be an important factor as well.

thanks
anand

Goutham Sridhar

Jan 19, 2017, 4:19:12 AM1/19/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, ara...@gmail.com

 Dear Sir ,

What is this layered clothing for the Nilgiris.??

Didnt Understand this ???

Daily i will ride 20 kms to and fro from & to work  and weekends atleast 50 kms . at weekends should i do more ???

regards,

Goutham

Prashanth Chengi

Jan 19, 2017, 2:01:41 PM1/19/17
to Goutham Sridhar, Bangalore Bikers Club, anand raman
Layered clothing means instead of wearing bulky jackets or something, wear many thin layers.. Like a thin sweat-absorbing T-shirt under your bike jersey, and maybe a pullover on top of that. The advantage is that you'll be able to take off the unnecessary layers, and give them to volunteers, once you get warm. In general, don't dress too warm, because you are going to be generating a lot of heat when you are pushing hard or climbing a hill. You are only likely to feel cold when you are stopped.

/Prashanth

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Opendro

Jan 20, 2017, 6:51:48 AM1/20/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
My opinion:

That is a lot of mileage. 20km weekday commute is way more than sufficient and you don't need to do any longer distance in the weekend. One month of regular commute is all it would take to go any distance.

However, there is a part which the commute does not teach us, i.e. riding long distance - both the mental, physical and logistical requirements. For this, ride a few short brevets. 200 km is the shortest distance in brevet and is longer than any TfN day. So, that should be good enough.

Having said that, a couple of weekend climbing or just 10 mins of air squats (minimum 250 sit ups) a day for 10 days will put in good advantage.

TfN now has competitive sections and that is a different game altogether. Race is a race - 100m or 1000 km - it is always going to be tough and needs much more aggressive training.

Jagannath Moorthy

Jan 20, 2017, 7:37:03 AM1/20/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Also consider that you will be doing a century ride the next day after a century ride and another one the next day as well.

Speaking from personal experience, that was the most difficult part for me, and I really started feeling the effect at the end of the 3rd day. Right around the time when you're hitting kalahatti.

The other thing that really hits you is the climbing. Nandi should be a must for everyone in Bangalore to prepare for it.

Opendro

Jan 20, 2017, 9:44:16 PM1/20/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
If you follow the simple 10 mins air squat (250 to 500 situps) a day for 10 days prior to the event should make you good enough for consecutive days rides. Be prepared to bear with some pain for the first three or four days.

The other important thing of consecutive days efforts is eating well every day. Anybody will be happy to take care of that I suppose :-D