Taking a cycle on the Metro?

Arjun Chetna

Dec 26, 2015, 7:23:32 AM12/26/15
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Just wondering - is it possible to take a cycle on Bangalore Metro? There used to be a time that the Volvo in bangalore let you take your cycle in?

Ravindra BR

Dec 28, 2015, 6:34:40 AM12/28/15
to Arjun Chetna, Bangalore Bikers Club

Metro ticketing lady told
They don't have instructions to allow cycle in metro
No ticket pricing for cycle

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Arjun Chetna

Dec 29, 2015, 11:39:12 PM12/29/15
to Ravindra BR, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hmmm... Maybe a folding cycle would be a good investment...
--
arjun chetna / designer
› wink · new media + design

murali m

Feb 3, 2016, 8:59:18 AM2/3/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club, ravind...@gmail.com
Is there a possibility to get them allow bikes

Arjun Chetna

Feb 3, 2016, 3:28:13 PM2/3/16
to murali m, Bangalore Bikers Club, ravind...@gmail.com
Why not? Lets try. I am not sure how to go about it though... Any ideas on where to start?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bangalore Bikers Club" group.

berkeleydb

Feb 4, 2016, 2:52:02 AM2/4/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Haven't used the BLR metro after an initial joyride. I seem to recall they had security checks? If you are trying to carry a folding bike as a regular piece of luggage, the security folks might still object.

-{db}.

murali m

Feb 4, 2016, 3:28:11 AM2/4/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Can we send a petition to Metro Officials, one of the problem with Metro is the poor last mile connectivity where the commuter has to use BMTC or Auto.

Ravindra BR

Feb 4, 2016, 6:28:46 AM2/4/16
to murali m, Bangalore Bikers Club
a petition is a good idea

suman paul

Feb 4, 2016, 9:42:56 AM2/4/16
to Ravindra BR, murali m, Bangalore Bikers Club

Procedure !

thank you & regards

suman

Parag Dubey

Feb 5, 2016, 3:56:54 AM2/5/16
to murali m, Bangalore Bikers Club
I had written a letter long time back to BMRCL requesting them to allow
cycles. This was very early in the construction phase, much before any
of pillars etc came up.

I did not expect any response, and I did not get any :)

However, when the metro was completed, I realised that it would have
been practially impossible for them to allow cycles. Here are the reasons:

1. Real-estate is very limited in some stations, and building in this
congested city is already a huge challenge. Sparing extra space for
cycle ramps would have been very difficult.

2. The metro coaches are very expensive, and so sparing dedicated space
for cycles would have been very costly.

3. Accidental damage from cycles to Metro coaches or property would have
been a daily occurrence.

Now that the whole infrastructure has already come up without any cycle
support, I don't think BMRCL will ever allow cycles inside. There is no
point even trying.

Someone else on this forum (or was it in some newspaper) had a wonderful
suggestion. They should have built an elevated cycle trail along the Metro
pillars (of course below the level of the Metro). I think this could have
been possible. Of course, this is some what revolutionary, and the unimaginative
Indian Bureaucracy would never have agreed.

- parag

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 12:28:11AM -0800 murali m wrote...
> --
> biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
>
> are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
> Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
> ---
>
> References
>
> Visible links
> 1. mailto:bangalore-bike...@googlegroups.com
> 2. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

akash mahakode

Feb 5, 2016, 5:54:56 AM2/5/16
to Parag Dubey, murali m, Bangalore Bikers Club
I have seen a guy  from Bayappanhalli to MG road with his folding bike. I have seen him so many times and
Confirmed with him that folding bikes are allowed inside Metro.

-Akash

suman paul

Feb 5, 2016, 5:56:38 AM2/5/16
to akash mahakode, Parag Dubey, murali m, Bangalore Bikers Club

That's a good info Akash. I'll try it out sometime.

thank you & regards

suman

Prashanth Chengi

Feb 5, 2016, 6:13:34 AM2/5/16
to Parag Dubey, murali m, Bangalore Bikers Club
I've taken a bike onboard the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) trains in California, and no, they don't have special bike ramps or anything. There is a regular staircase that one can use. Regarding damage, I don't think that's an issue either. People who take bikes on trains wouldn't want their own bikes to sustain damage, so they either hold the bikes in place, or secure them firmly. This also prevents damage to the interior of the trains. Here's one pic of the BART. I have a picture of my own bike on the BART, but don't have it at the moment.
http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kalw/files/201303/bikes%20on%20bart.jpg

What's needed is an organization with a bent of mind to provide superior services; there's no need for extra infrastructure.

/Prashanth

Jayanth Gurijala

Feb 12, 2016, 10:05:42 PM2/12/16
to Prashanth Chengi, Parag Dubey, murali m, Bangalore Bikers Club
This is a recent incident of a guy who was carrying a foldable bike in train in bangalore.

This should not deter anyone though.

Sent from my iPhone

Ali Poonawala

Feb 13, 2016, 6:20:40 AM2/13/16
to Jayanth Gurijala, Prashanth Chengi, Bangalore Bikers Club, murali m, Parag Dubey

Does anyone actually know the rules ..? Regarding carrying any luggage on metro..and specifically bicycles ?
Foldie and ordinary one ?

Arjun Chetna

Feb 13, 2016, 7:11:36 AM2/13/16
to Ali Poonawala, Jayanth Gurijala, Prashanth Chengi, Bangalore Bikers Club, murali m, Parag Dubey
As I understand it cycles are not allowed. There are no exceptions for folding bikes.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bangalore Bikers Club" group.

Arjun Chetna

Feb 13, 2016, 7:12:45 AM2/13/16
to Ali Poonawala, Jayanth Gurijala, Prashanth Chengi, Bangalore Bikers Club, murali m, Parag Dubey
Jayanth,

The Railway Minister is known to be quite active on twitter. Maybe it would be a good idea to bring this to his notice? This is something that could happen to any one of us?

Ali Poonawala

Feb 13, 2016, 2:21:53 PM2/13/16
to Prashanth M, Bangalore Bikers Club, murali m, Parag Dubey, Jayanth Gurijala, Prashanth Chengi

TFS Prashanth..
Technically, foldie may qualify as personal belonging.. Under 15 kg and just about acceptable dimensions too..!
Prohibited goods does not specify bicycles..unless i missed it somewhere..!

udayak...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2016, 10:42:40 PM2/13/16
to Ali Poonawala, Prashanth M, Bangalore Bikers Club, murali m, Parag Dubey, Jayanth Gurijala, Prashanth Chengi
Interesting document thanks for sharing !

suman paul

Feb 13, 2016, 11:36:01 PM2/13/16
to udayak...@gmail.com, Ali Poonawala, Prashanth M, Bangalore Bikers Club, murali m, Parag Dubey, Jayanth Gurijala, Prashanth Chengi

"........ except with the prior approval of the metro railway administration "

That's the only hope

thank you & regards

suman

Prashanth M

Feb 14, 2016, 12:21:43 AM2/14/16
to Ali Poonawala, murali m, Prashanth Chengi, Jayanth Gurijala, Parag Dubey, Bangalore Bikers Club

Kartik Rustagi

Jun 13, 2017, 4:07:54 PM6/13/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Has any one tried this recently? I want to give this a shot but don't have a folding bike.

Arjun Chetna

Jun 14, 2017, 6:39:36 AM6/14/17
to Kartik Rustagi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Got chucked out when I was trying to carry cycle tyres from Ulsoor to Indiranagar (One stop)... :(

On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 at 01:37 Kartik Rustagi <kartik...@gmail.com> wrote:
Has any one tried this recently? I want to give this a shot but don't have a folding bike.

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Kartik Rustagi

Jun 14, 2017, 8:51:57 AM6/14/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, kartik...@gmail.com
Did find someone who has been using a folding one for quite some time, it is quite smooth for him.

Amar

Jun 14, 2017, 11:04:48 AM6/14/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Folding cycles are allowed in Bangalore Metro-I have personally carried it from Byapanahalli-Trinity metro station

Please buy a light weight alluimium frame geared Folding cycle for last mile connectivity

Peak office times you may not get empty space to keep your folded cycle

Kartik Rustagi

Jun 14, 2017, 1:51:32 PM6/14/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
That is encouraging. Next step for me I guess will be to borrow one from somewhere and give this a try for few days. Thanks for the response!

Arun Isaac

Jun 15, 2017, 1:52:24 AM6/15/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Arjun Chetna writes:

> Got chucked out when I was trying to carry cycle tyres from Ulsoor to
> Indiranagar (One stop)... :(

Wow, this is insane! What's wrong with cycle tyres?

Arjun Chetna

Jun 15, 2017, 4:47:18 AM6/15/17
to Arun Isaac, Bangalore Bikers Club
Sigh, I've had the same argument.

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

ProCycle

Jun 15, 2017, 7:57:23 AM6/15/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
We tried taking the BROMPTON on the metro and were not stopped. Goes through the scanner with ease. Perhaps because they are designed specifically for  metros worldwide
BTW there are BROMPTON DEMOS at the store and you could pick up one and take it on the metro getting on an alighting at different stations...just to build a "community pressure" :-)

Alex J V

Jun 17, 2017, 5:42:54 PM6/17/17
to ProCycle, Bangalore Bikers Club
That sounds like a good idea.. I want to try that out.. take the foldie on the metro and see if they are okay with it.

Alex

Alex J V
@alexjv89
We are building a tool for maximizing learning on the internet - www.highlyreco.com

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

---

aravind...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2017, 10:19:13 AM6/25/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks to the updates on this group, I decided to try taking the cycle on the metro.
Got some curious looks and people were accommodating. The first and the last car of the train has a spot for wheel-chair and large luggage. If that spot is not occupied, putting the cycle there would be the most convenient thing. BTW it was a Fuji Origami cycle and I had folded it while passing through the security check and whilst on the train.

Aravind.

rakesh ram

Jun 27, 2017, 2:19:31 AM6/27/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Nice to hear this. Metro option has rekindled my longing for a foldie. And Aravind : How is that bike? Did you buy in India?

-Rakesh

Girish V

Jun 27, 2017, 2:30:35 AM6/27/17
to rakesh ram, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi,

Took my foldie (an anamika but looks very similar to PPOF foldie) first time on the metro.
Started from National college station. They asked me whether I have the permission and
made me wait for few minutes before confirming. I just went and re-charged my new metro
card meanwhile.

Got the place in the first compartment to park/keep the foldie. Got down at majestic and got
into the train towards Byapanahalli. There also there was not much of a problem, but the
compartment was crowded. As I was in the first of the line, could not move towards the
place earmarked for differently disabled and hence has to keep the bike behind the drivers
wall and the two gentlemen gave some place to slide the bike behind them. Got down at Indiranagar
and walked out without any problem.

Planning to try other stations in the coming days.

cheers,
girish

Kartik Rustagi

Jun 27, 2017, 11:58:21 PM6/27/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club

Amar

Jun 28, 2017, 7:42:42 AM6/28/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Light weight Aluminium Alloy geared folding cycle is awesome for Metro,BMTC,Car transport

Btwin,Dahon,Polygon are the only options in market for folding cycles

Nelson

Jun 28, 2017, 7:46:59 AM6/28/17
to Amar, Bangalore Bikers Club
You can include XDC folding cycle as well.

Sent from my iPhone
--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Shreyas Gopinath

Jul 6, 2017, 2:29:43 AM7/6/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Folks - any other recent updates on carrying folding bikes in Metro? I'm seriously considering this option but because the crowds have increased after the Green line's opened, I wanted to check if it's made it harder to carry bikes now? I'm barely able to stand with my bag these days.

Looking to hear your experiences, tips/hacks and suggestions!

Thanks,
Shreyas

Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

berkeleydb

Jul 7, 2017, 4:23:12 PM7/7/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
From what folks have posted, looks like security check is_not at issue. Then looks like it comes down to space. If folks get on the metro with luggage, then it we should_not be fretting over a foldie. Are folks with luggage only supposed to get in the metro compartments which have space destinated for luggage?

Btw, I hope getting past security, is_not tied to whether one speaks Kannada. The nonsense that happens in some instances while accessing public services in Bangalore.

-{db}.

aravind...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 1:25:34 AM7/12/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Most of the folks manning the security speak Hindi and English, so the language should not be a problem. Space is definitely a consideration - and looks like it will continue till they add more coaches (which is expected to happen this year end).

The coaches (First and the Last) with some space for wheelchair which have to be yielded to designated users - https://twitter.com/cpronammametro/status/879932205539053568

Aravind.

Opendro

Jul 12, 2017, 4:59:48 AM7/12/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Yeah, most officials speak English at least here, unlike other nonsense states in the North, who cannot speak anything other than their mother tongue. Sorry, I couldn't resist the irony of using the word "nonsense" by db ;-)

rohitdev.k...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2017, 5:56:54 AM11/2/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
  • Just wondering are people able to carry foldable cycles even now inside metro?
  • What are available options in the market for foldable bikes being sold in India with good support & services for under 30K? Dahon,Btwin,Brompton any other recos

maheshv

Nov 2, 2017, 11:39:51 PM11/2/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
yes very much.
brompton carried multiple times

rohitdev.k...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2017, 4:40:42 AM11/5/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I was planning on buying Dahon ECO C7 , which has folded dimension of 33 × 80 × 66 cm (11.7" × 31.2" × 25.7").
Will it fit thru the scanner? What are the folded dimensions of you brompton?
I saw the dimension of luggage mentioned on the scanner as 60x45x25cm.

If it doesn't pass through do they allow manual check and allow to go ahead?

rohitdev.k...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2017, 4:56:00 AM11/5/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
What are the folding dimensions for your bicycle?

rohitdev.k...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2017, 4:56:59 AM11/5/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
WHat brand and model of cycle do you own and what are its fold dimensions? DOes it pass thru the security scanner?

ProCycle

Nov 5, 2017, 6:35:40 AM11/5/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
We had posited this earlier. if any one wants To try out Bromptons you can pick up the Demos both at Indiranagar & Whitefield ProCycle stores and experience them
We have done some
Advocacy with the authorities connected with metro and practically have not come across any difficulty with Bromptons on metro
Bromptons by the way fold differently (more compact and go through scanner easily) and are made specifically for urban cycling . A bit expensive than others but ulitimate gold standard in folding bikes

Arvind P

Jan 1, 2018, 12:35:40 PM1/1/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Has anyone tried taking a folding bike in a metro? Which one works? I want to buy a folding bike to travel from Mysore Road to Byapanahalli daily.
I have seen previous responses, but some of them are 4-5 months old, hence asking again.

maheshv

Jan 1, 2018, 10:25:57 PM1/1/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
As recent as 3 days ago. (bike: brompton).
To get my bike serviced at procycle.

One word of praise for procycle. They are thorough professionals and they know their job well.
The brompton is a very versatile bike and now that procycle folks service and support it, it has become an indispensable bike in my stable.

ProCycle

Jan 2, 2018, 7:09:33 AM1/2/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Try it for yourself and experience. ProCycle has a fleet of demo BROMPTONS that you could ride out and wheel it on the metro ( no charges ) Check them out yourself . We have had no problems on the metro here or in any other city .By the way BROMPTON folds differently than other foldies and is especially made for urban commute on tubes , ferries etc . It also goes through the XRay ( most of them - in full fold condition ) thake of us used to BART, ferries internationally can see it works here fine
We are also petitioning to different metro corporations