Procycle Koramangala: worst cycle servicing centre

BPS

Nov 21, 2016, 8:45:03 AM11/21/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Worst cycle service experience ever at Procycle Koramangala. Do your Bike a favor (& save your money too); it is better off without this store's service.Read yourself. So I decided to take my KHS 350 for servicing to this store in Koramangala as it was near to my residence & my bike already had some slick & dust on its chain & derailleur system, which I am sure would come off with water only. The guy at the reception said that he will charge me some ~400INR for basic service which includes brakes & shifter adjustment but no wash. He took a second look at my bike & told me that he can't service this bike under basic service as it being too dirty & I have to go for his full service deal at ~900INR in which bike wash is also included. I told him that's a steep rise of 500 just for getting bike wash in extra. And then I started looking at the shiny store & the high end bicycles like Canondale Giant GT etc., thought that maybe they are freakin experts who actually know what my bike wants & went for the 900 service plan. That's the trap folks where you go with the glitter, fancy store is a setup. Once trapped your bike may not walk(read shift) again, which I came to know later that week. Few days after these so called procylists called me that my bike is ready for pickup. Went there the very next day & they started with; they had to change the rear shifter wire as it was old & rusty. I smirked & already started feeling bad about everything. Then i took it for a test ride, & my rear shifter was not working; front shock was locked for good. Went back to the store, their mechanic told me that rear shifter has some issue with the spring & that needs to be replaced costs around~1500. I ignored that & asked him to fix the shocker. He told me that i should come after 2 days, for that to be fixed. After 2 days I again went to the store & store's mechanic told me that its fixed I tried pressing the shock with my weight & it seemed okay. Rode it back directly to home & took it out the next day. Damn front shocks were again locked. I rode like that without proper shifting & shocks for 2-3 weeks & then gave it to some other place. they charged me 1200 for the suspension fix & another 6-700 for service charge. That's it. To sum it up, I paid Procycle Koramangala ~1100 bucks & ended up with bad shifting & a broken suspension, which were working just fine before the service. My bike was at most 2 years old back then. Later invested 2k again to have a working shifter & suspension. My advice please refrain your bike to be serviced at this store. Or be ready for the consequences.

berkeleydb

Nov 21, 2016, 6:02:16 PM11/21/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Wow... seems like you had a really bad experience. Wondering if others to have had bad experiences at this shop.

-{db}.

anurag sharma

Nov 22, 2016, 6:45:54 AM11/22/16
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
had similar experience at the store. never visited the store again :)

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Adithya Kini

Nov 22, 2016, 8:26:19 AM11/22/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
wow that's unfortunate. I generally service my bike myself , hey come on if we can complete engineering in 4 years one can learn to service a cycle no, you will make some mistakes in the beginning for sure, like i ruined my disc brake pads because i got oil on them and also ended up opening the freewheel once by mistake because i turned it the wrong way ...but now after learning "expensive" lessons i know how to handle the service of most components (still waiting to learn from ruining hydraulic disc system) ha ha...1100 for servicing is too much, come on! its like you are paying for some blokes training to service cycles. Get your hands dirty and yes you will have to be willing to take some losses, but that's a part of learning curve.

Prashanth Chengi

Nov 22, 2016, 8:53:39 AM11/22/16
to Adithya Kini, Bangalore Bikers Club

Very strongly agree with Adithya. YouTube has tons of helpful tutorials, on all kinds of bike maintenance topics. One video even helped me make my own dyi tool to remove an old style bottom bracket which was very badly rusted and stuck. In over four years,  I've only had to use an LBS once, when I visited BOTS before my Bliss ride, and that proved to be quite a nice experience. Don't use any LBS unless it comes recommended to you.  A good LBS is a something you'll come to love and trust, while a bad LBS can completely put you off, as your unfortunate experience has shown you.

/Prashanth

Ali Poonawala

Nov 22, 2016, 9:03:24 AM11/22/16
to Adithya Kini, Sharath Chandar

Well said Aaditya...about servicing bikes ourselves..however, i beg to differ about learning by trial and error,it may lead to ruining expensive parts.
BOTS runs regular  basic maintenance sessions, in fact this week end too they are couple of them, saturday and Sunday.
The crunch comes when things are beyond basic.
Somehow..we as a group have not been able to address this issue very well..
US has community bicycle co op (Austin yellow bike and orange bike projects)  run in such a way that multiplewin situation exists.
1 Discarded / stolen bikes are recycled, so authorities are happy.
2.Volunteers can learn, free/nominal charge,
3.You can fix own bike even build one, with guidance, at minimum charge
4. Experience builds up in community.

BBCh members can do more here Small steps can go long way

Simple things like ..if you are good at truing a wheel and have equipment for the same and are going to do it,  announce the time and place and let a few members attend.
It would also be nice if we have even paid or sponsored classes towards this by BOTS or other cycling shops.

Ali Poonawala
Bangalore

suman paul

Nov 22, 2016, 9:06:20 AM11/22/16
to Ali Poonawala, Adithya Kini, Sharath Chandar

BBCh members can do more here Small steps can go long way

Super pointer as usual Doc. Will be on the cards.

thank you & regards

suman

Adithya Kini

Nov 22, 2016, 10:01:47 AM11/22/16
to Ali Poonawala, Sharath Chandar
Brilliant Idea Ali :) , agree 100%
--
Cheers,
Adithya Kini

Venky

Nov 22, 2016, 10:38:56 AM11/22/16
to Ali Poonawala, Adithya Kini, Sharath Chandar
A great point about the usefulness of a bike co op!

Back in 2009-10, when I was in Vermont, the first thing I looked up for was a bike shop and found a co-op that was very close to the place where I stayed. It used to operate for a couple of hours each on two days of a  week. I went there to volunteer to fix the bikes and learnt all the basics of bike mechanics. The feeling of building my first bike from frame up was exhilarating.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Ali Poonawala <alfa...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Cheers,
Venky

Aravind M S

Nov 22, 2016, 11:46:20 AM11/22/16
to Venky, Bangalore Bikers Club, Ali Poonawala, Adithya Kini

Doctor,
How about having at the bicycle learning school that you conduct on every Sunday.
By that way you may get more teachers and teachers can learn servicing :)

Ali Poonawala

Nov 22, 2016, 12:53:56 PM11/22/16
to Aravind M S, Adithya Kini, Venkatesh N, Bangalore Bikers Club

@ Lord Venky and Arvind
I think we should work on this and as always, charity begins at home, I am willing to do whatever is required..

Warm regards

Ali Poonawala
Bangalore

berkeleydb

Nov 24, 2016, 4:59:15 PM11/24/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
It would be nice to have a cyclists get together at different cycle shops around Bangalore, 1-2 times a month.

That way, we will end up visiting different cycle shops, meet cyclists, & have cycling related discussions / workshops.

-{db}.