My experience with 'Velib' rental bikes in Paris

Prashanth Chengi

Jan 15, 2017, 12:30:50 PM1/15/17
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Ali Poonawala, Opendro, Karthick Gururaj
Hi,

I was in Paris, on a short visit, and tried renting a 'Velib' bike, to explore the city. The business model of Velib is highly interesting, and seems to be the result of extensive research of typical commuter behavior, and IMO, leads to a highly optimized utilization of bicycles, by ensuring high rate of turnarounds. I wish Bangalore got something like this. My account is here:
http://prashanthchengi.livejournal.com/77523.html

/Prashanth

Prashanth Chengi

Jan 15, 2017, 12:53:12 PM1/15/17
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Ali Poonawala, Opendro, Karthick Gururaj
The previous link was missing an 'l' at the end!
Corrected url:
http://prashanthchengi.livejournal.com/77523.html

/Prashanth

Yateesh Kumar

Jan 15, 2017, 1:20:13 PM1/15/17
to Prashanth Chengi, Karthick Gururaj, Bangalore Bikers Club, Opendro, Ali Poonawala
Fantastic write up Prashanth :)
Thanks for taking time out to share your experience and insights into the business model.

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Opendro

Jan 15, 2017, 11:32:35 PM1/15/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
That is an awesome initiative. Thanks for sharing.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jan 16, 2017, 12:31:45 AM1/16/17
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Its there in many places in Europe. But multiple initatives of that sort were tried out. One in Bombay and of course namma cycle here.

They haven't taken off. Not sure if the namma cycle initiative in IISc at least is working or not? Murali and Sridhar would be able to say.

Karthick Gururaj

Jan 16, 2017, 12:41:19 AM1/16/17
to Prashanth Chengi, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Ali Poonawala, Opendro
Thanks - like the concept of hoarder's tax.

- Karthick

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jan 16, 2017, 1:09:57 AM1/16/17
to Karthick Gururaj, Prashanth Chengi, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Ali Poonawala, Opendro
The Paris one at least has been on for more than 10+ years now. But how does it compare with using public transport?

Spending 3-4+ Euros is a lot.

Prashanth Chengi

Jan 16, 2017, 1:24:36 AM1/16/17
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Karthick Gururaj, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Ali Poonawala, Opendro
I'm here for a conference. Distance from hotel to conference venue is 4.9 km which google says I ought to be able to bike in 19 minutes. Taking public transport means switching two lines on the Paris Metro, and purchasing a 1.9 EUR ticket (each way), and takes 26 minutes.  The bike ticket is 1.7 Eur per 24 hr period, and with some planning, I can make any number of trips without paying extra. That's a saving of at least 2 Eur each day.

/Prashanth

O p e n d r o

Jan 16, 2017, 1:48:26 AM1/16/17
to Prashanth Chengi, Chidambaran Subramanian, Karthick Gururaj, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Ali Poonawala
What if they setup the bike station near major public hubs and transport stations? That will not compete, but rather complement each other.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jan 16, 2017, 1:48:40 AM1/16/17
to Prashanth Chengi, Karthick Gururaj, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Ali Poonawala, Opendro
I missed that 1.7 Eur per 24 hr period. Okay so you have to keep finishing trips within the half hour.

Now I get it

Chiddu

Chidambaran Subramanian

Jan 16, 2017, 1:49:29 AM1/16/17
to O p e n d r o, Prashanth Chengi, Karthick Gururaj, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Ali Poonawala
I think that is what has been done Opendro. A friend tried to set up something like this in Bangalore and Gurgaon, he couldn't get bank loans or kindle investor interest.

berkeleydb

Jan 21, 2017, 7:20:45 PM1/21/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Prashanth -- Nice write-up about Velib. Interesting policy to discourage hogging. Use for tourism seems a bit steeply priced. Just charging 1-2€ per extra half hour I thought might be OK. Going up to 4€ per extra half hour, seems a bit bad for tourists.

Btw, from what you said, looks like the bike does_not give the user any indication on the 30min period running down? That would be nice, rather than user having to track the time.

Chiddu -- The bike share scheme at IISc has been discontinued, from what I was told when I had gone to IISc ~2months back.

-{db}.

Prashanth Chengi

Jan 21, 2017, 7:36:55 PM1/21/17
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
DB, yup, bike doesn't give any indication of time remaining. That would indeed have been a nice thing to have.  I noticed however that they were bike stations near most major tourist locations, like monuments, close to metro stations etc. If a tourist doesn't mind the extra overhead of doing the bike switcheroo, he/she can get by without paying any extra fee, but I think it does spoil the whole sightseeing/exploration mood, so I decided to take that bite on my wallet, and simply enjoy.   The innumerable traffic lights and the Paris traffic are the other irritants.

/Prashanth

udayak...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2017, 10:07:34 PM1/21/17
to Prashanth Chengi, berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
Very nice write-up. Thanks for sharing.

Uday