Bike on Cathay and bike box

Namit Varma

Jun 25, 2017, 1:26:23 PM6/25/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi,

I'm thinking of bringing back a bike from the US next month. I'm flying cathay and when I inquired, they told me the bike box needs to be within 62in in total dimensions. If its under 79in, then a $100 charge applies, which is not too bad. If its more than that, then the charge is ~$400, which is steep. Now, from what I understand, this is simply not possible for a non-folding bike, and total dimensions work out closer to 100in. I also see that good bike boxes are pretty expensive. So I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone else have experience with Cathay, and have they been particular about these rules?
2. Does anyone has a good bike box I can borrow. I'd carry it to the US and back, empty one way. Obviously I would take full responsibility for it.

Thanks,
Namit

berkeleydb

Jun 28, 2017, 9:13:32 PM6/28/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
If you just discuss box/luggage size with the airline, they may quote their luggage rates. Have you specifically asked them about carrying a bike? I think some airlines make special considerations for sports equipment (& bikes specifically) etc., so try to explore from that angle. If they say they can give a lower rate for bikes, have that from them in an email.

$400 is very steep. $200-$250 should be max, IMO. But again, the box dimensions will probably be within 100".

See if you can get the in the sort of carton box that manufacturers ship the bike in. Some bike shop in the US might be able to give you one (maybe for free). Then you don't need to carry one to the US. (You can dismantle & box the bike yourself, or have a bike shop do it. If the latter, the bike shop can probably provide a box too.)

-{db}.

Namit Varma

Jun 29, 2017, 8:28:05 AM6/29/17
to berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi DB,

I did explain exactly what I intended to carry on the flight, so there was ambiguity about this being a bike. The rates are with that taken into consideration. That said, I've read a number people saying that at the airport the ground staff didn't bother with the size, and charged nothing extra. Hence I'm looking for some real experiences.

Cheers,
Namit

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

htedum

Jun 30, 2017, 1:02:26 AM6/30/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, dha...@gmail.com
Hi Namit. I took my bike to Japan via Cathay. This included a layover at KUL, and bike was in Tokyo as I landed. No problems.

The only issue I had was at BLR airport when ground staff were unsure how to handle it. It took a while (30 min) of radioing back and forth to clarify stuff, but they were professional while doing so.

I recommend that you reach the airport well in advance so you can sort these things out. Also, bookmark or carry a printout of the Cathay webpage that mentions bicycle rules so you can show it to ground staff if necessary.

htedum

Jun 30, 2017, 1:03:44 AM6/30/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club, dha...@gmail.com
To clarify further - when I flew (Oct 2015?) I didn't pay anything extra, as I was within allowed dimensions, weight etc.

Namit Varma

Jun 30, 2017, 1:04:42 AM6/30/17
to htedum, dha...@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Abhijit. Can you provide some details of the size of your bike box? Which year was this?

htedum

Jun 30, 2017, 1:07:43 AM6/30/17
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Oct 2015. It was a standard cardboard bike box that Crankmeister packed for me.

Hemings

Jun 30, 2017, 1:20:43 AM6/30/17
to Namit Varma, htedum, dha...@gmail.com, Bangalore Bikers Club
I brought my specialized roubaix back from the US to India last year (November 2016). I packed my bike in a Thule hard case bike box and British Airways carried it for me from Washington Dulles to Kempegowda - absolutely no issues what so ever.  No additional charges since BA considers this as part of the baggage allowance.

At Kempegowda I collected the bike from their "large size luggage" section and went past green channel without any issues.  Maybe I was lucky but extremely good and hassle free experience.

Call me if you need any clarifications.

Best regards,

Hemings
988 677 0707

Namit Varma

Jun 30, 2017, 12:57:06 PM6/30/17
to htedum, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Abhijit,

Can you confirm the type of bike and size (if you remember). This doesn't look big enough for a road bike. Thanks!

Cheers,
Namit

Namit Varma

Jun 30, 2017, 1:04:07 PM6/30/17
to Hemings, htedum, berkeleydb, Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Hemings. I checked the BA website, and they allow bike boxes up to 190cm in length (no mention of width/height). Cathay on the other hand makes a restriction of 158cm in length, and 203cm total dimensions.