Schwinn Sportterra for free rent for a month

Karthick Gururaj

Jan 21, 2018, 1:47:44 AM1/21/18
to BBC
Hi bikers,

I have a Schwinn hybrid that is a decent commute bike. It has done about 15k so far. It is in a good condition except for the rims - which I'm planning to replace (assuming someone is interested in taking the bike). The tires are new (both Schwalbe Marathon), there are local mud-guards (that get the job done), the chain/crank/cassette/ have done about 2k. The frame size is 17.5". I haven't used in for few months - so it does need some clean up.

I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.

If you have a friend whom you think can be nudged into cycle commute - and you need a cycle for that, you are welcome to take mine for free*.

* Conditions do apply:
a. You can take it for about a month for free**. I think a month is a good time for "try out". If the first week doesn't go well, there is enough time to recover and try again.
b. I won't be giving it again to the same person - at least not if there are others who'd be interested. The idea is to rotate is as much as possible.
c. You need to pick up and drop the cycle
d. Some form of guarantee would be required

** While I'm not looking to make money, you can pay for servicing the cycle (or get it done yourself before giving it back), and/or replace some worn out parts. Of course, it is expected that the cycle is returned back with no damages/broken parts.

- Karthick

Ali Poonawala

Jan 21, 2018, 1:28:48 PM1/21/18
to Karthick Gururaj, BBC
Hi Karthick..
very noble Initiative...
Hope more follow..
Bangalore Bicycling School has been giving free rental bicycles  ( a Hero miss India ladies bicycle given by Ganesh Ram and , mach city, donated by Anandita, one of our student, now a volunteer )to newbies to get used to bangalore traffic.

May be we should have a bank system ?

Warm regards
Ali Poonawala

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

Karthick Gururaj

Jan 22, 2018, 12:29:52 PM1/22/18
to Ali Poonawala, BBC
Hi Ali,

BBS is certainly an inspiration! :) I'm doing a small part in part in
nudging more car commuters to switch to cycle - a free trial for a
month.

Couple of folks have already requested whether they can try out. Will
see how this experiment goes and update here.

What did you have in mind when you say bank system?

- Karthick
>> email to bangalore-bike...@googlegroups.com.

Ali Poonawala

Jan 22, 2018, 12:41:38 PM1/22/18
to Karthick Gururaj, BBC
Hi Karthik...
By Bank  I meant a more structured system. Borrowing and lending is centralized, so that everybody knows where to go. Also, state of the cycle is monitored both times (lending and returning), repairs are paid for and may be an avenue for beginners to learn under a mentor.
Almost like yellow bike project, Austin

My dream !

Ali Poonawala

Karthick Gururaj

Apr 27, 2018, 11:25:03 AM4/27/18
to BBC
Hey folks,

This kinda died down.. I got couple of queries earlier, but no one
took it finally.

Dr. Ali mentioned a bike bank system - I'll be glad to give the cycle
if someone wants to take initiative in setting that up.

Else, if someone wants to buy it - please let me know a price that
works for you. Note that the rims need to be replaced, and I think the
cables need to be changed too. Otherwise, the bike is good.

- Karthick

Opendro

Apr 30, 2018, 4:57:42 AM4/30/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Karthick, sad that it didn't help anyone.

But I expected it. Best way is to lend it to a friend after giving him enough dose of convenience and benefits of cycling. Equations among friends make it an easier deal - less hesitations or compulsions on any terms. I had myself lent bikes to friends in the past. I also gave away my old Merida to a friend instead of selling it at a dirt price. Since I would call him for moderate treks often, I would convince him to use it for his commutes to get prepared for the trek. He used it for commuting over 20 km one way for a couple of days a week at times of trek. It really helped him pick up the tempo. He is currently looking for changing the tires, which means that he is willing to continue using it :-) This is priceless to me. I later helped his wife to pick mach-city women 7s (after she convinced herself that she could commute short distance on my Polygon Path 2 which I lent for a couple of months). Her daughter also liked the mach city and took it from her mother. Mother then upgraded herself to Montra Helicon.

There are more (not-so-close) friends who were on the fence and then when I offered my bike to try out, they would buy one themselves without even borrowing mine. It mostly works.

There are also a few minority of friends who bought bikes and couldn't sustain. I again help them to sell it. In once instance, I bought his bike back at even slightly higher price than he bought after he junked it for two years. I still use it (Schwinn Sportera, same as yours) for my commutes as my daughter uses my Polygon Path 2 for her badminton class every day (Monday to Friday).

I still have at least 4 unused bikes at different conditions :-) KHS 650B, two BTwin Sport 1 and a unicycle. One needing replacement of shifters and derailleurs - got it from Chidu for free for my single speed project which I abandoned. I have already bought a Shimano 105 5800 groupset for this (cost me 28.5k!!! feeling idiot!!! :-)) plus a 11 speed hub body for $30 to fit onto an old model Novatec Jetfly wheelset. So, you can expect one of the sport1 on sale soon :-) I still need a road bike and an MTB to fulfill occasional urges :-)

I also gave away a 16" bike for free to a kid. I bought that bike from Chiddu's younger son earlier. Now, looking for a 24" for my daughter (she is 51 inches now), preferably a used one so that I won't feel guilty of recycling to someone later, thus helping spread the community :-)

Akshay Iyer

May 1, 2018, 3:32:06 AM5/1/18
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Everyone,
I was commuting via bus or train from Indiranagar till Kadubesanahalli. And a couple of weeks back I found a Yulu cycle at Bellandur railway station. From then onwards I completely switched my commute via cycling. So far I have enjoyed every time I cycle. Now it takes max 25 mins to reach my office at Kadubesanahalli from Indiranagar. And some in my office have also switched to bicycling for office commute.

Opendro you mentioned unicycle, is it the electric unicycle?

Regards,
Akshay Iyer

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com
---

Opendro

May 1, 2018, 11:25:03 PM5/1/18
to Bangalore Bikers Club
That is super cool Akshay.

It is a pedal unicycle.

Akshay Iyer

May 2, 2018, 1:28:36 AM5/2/18
to Opendro, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Opendro,

You people should try electric unicycles by the Jaaga community, those machines are beast. Me and my friends from Jaaga teach electric unicycles to kids at Cubbon park, hop on someday to try it out.