Slick Tyres suggestions

Sherl

Jun 22, 2016, 12:29:24 PM6/22/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I'm willing to replace my Bontrager knobby tyres to Slicks. I have
shortlisted following options, can someone comment on them? I'm
looking for much of a value proposition

Schwalbe Marathon Greengurd Tire
Schwalbe Range Cruiser
Maxxis Hookworm 26"x2.5 Urban Tire

I need at least 26x1.75. I liked Spesh Fat boy tyres but no one stock them.

If there are some options I am missing please add into the list. If
you have one of sale please reach me out through email with phone
number.

Thank much for reading out!

<#sh>

Sherl

Jun 22, 2016, 12:51:31 PM6/22/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
And Geax Street runner but can't find in Bangalore

berkeleydb

Jun 24, 2016, 4:43:13 PM6/24/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Not sure what your exact criteria are, or why atleast 1.75"... I have been using Maxxis Detonator 26x1.5" tyres for some time now.  Liking them.  (I use them with tyre liners.)

-{db}.

Sherl

Jun 24, 2016, 8:59:48 PM6/24/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Post me a photo of that. I don't want to lose ride quality and make the 4300 as polio affected.
Kenda Kwest vs Schwable Range Cruiser?

Sherl

Jun 24, 2016, 9:01:34 PM6/24/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Requirements: Roll fast, Grippy on corners, Bomb proof, Cheaper?
90% on road and 10% bad broken off road.
I know some are contradicting, but let me try my luck.

berkeleydb

Jun 25, 2016, 4:04:25 AM6/25/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Maxxis Detonator 26x1.5" -- https://www.cyclinghub.in/maxxis-detonator-26x1-50-m203p.htmlhttp://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-261-detonator

See the spec sections, for details.  Looks like they are available in 700c as well.  There are reviews on bikeradar, roadbikereview, etc.

-{db}.

Sherl

Jun 25, 2016, 6:59:56 AM6/25/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
DB,
How good are they for slight to no trials? Any punctures so far? Planning for 100/200 brevets too with the same tyre, And please share me a picture of your Trek with these tyres. If you have sourced in Bangalore please share me the contact and pricing. Thanks much.

Sherl

Jun 25, 2016, 11:25:30 PM6/25/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
And how good are they when compared to Schwalbe Road Cruiser? Sorry thats a lot to answer.

berkeleydb

Jun 26, 2016, 8:32:55 PM6/26/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Won't be able to compare with Schwalbe ones, as I don't think I have used those. If by "slight to no trails", you mean pretty good roads, I would say the Maxxis Detonator are pretty good. I used the Kenda K830 (26"x1.75") quite a bit before the Maxxis Detonator... the former have considerable tread, so on fair to good roads, I feel the latter are doing better. OTOH, if there is some loose dirt/gravel in some section, I do feel the traction is less with the latter.

I always use tyre liners, & with that, I have has no punctures with the Maxxis Detonator, in ~1.5yrs. But I don't ride aggresively.

(I had a case where on a tour, a front pannier or something rubbed against the side of the tyre (next to the rim), & finally the tyre had a tear resulting in the tube puncturing through the tear. But that was not an issue with the tyre perse, AFAICT.)

-{db}.

berkeleydb

Jun 26, 2016, 8:38:25 PM6/26/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I picked up the Maxxis Detonator from RR Cycles. You can check with Rakesh at their Madivala store -- +91-80-||||-|-||-|||-||||-seven-||-|||. :)

-{db}.

berkeleydb

Jun 26, 2016, 8:40:27 PM6/26/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Sorry, that should end in ||-seven-||||-|||.

-{db}.

Sherl

Jun 26, 2016, 11:32:00 PM6/26/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
DB
Gotcha.

I wouldn't eke out on tyres front I think, I would pick the Schwable Greenguard marathon for 1750, what say? They have less rolling resistance than all the marathons http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-marathon-2015

Or pick the Schwable Road Cruiser and install tyre liners? I have heard bad about tyre liners as the sharp edge of the infected area (throned?) woud damage the tubes. Though I like the concept I'm not sure. I'm putting maxxis on the back burner because of absence of grips. I would tour sometime later.

It would be a conflicting scenario,
Marathon Green guard - heavy weight around 800gms but seems to have better puncture protection.

Road cruiser with tyre liners - not sure how the momentum gets affected because of tyre liners with road Cruiser. Tyres are just ~550gms.

berkeleydb

Jun 28, 2016, 3:11:58 AM6/28/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
When I started using tyre liners initially (~5yrs back?), in the first couple of weeks, I had 2-3 punctures.  From inspecting the marks on the tube, I was fairly certain that the free ends of the tyre lines, which had corners, were causing the puncture.  So I cut the corners (literally :)), and made the free ends curved.  And then put insulation tape on it as well.  With that, I don't recall having punctures of that type again.

I do recall another case, where there was a puncture in the tube on the mark that long edge of the tyre liner leaves on the tube.  And I did_not find anything in the tyre, that seem to have caused it.  So I had a doubt if over a period of months, the long edge of the tube had caused some wear on the tube, leading to that puncture.  But given that it had happened after a long period, I felt it was still very much worth using tyre lines, as w/o the liners, I recall having punctures much more often.  Also, it's again been a while since I have had a puncture like that.  So it could have been one off.

One thing to note -- if you are opening the tyre to inspect the tube at any point, to take some time to clean out any grime etc. accumulated inside.  Not sure how it get's there, but I feel it tends to happen more with tyre liners. !?  It might be sitting between the liner and the inside wall of the tyre; so either remove the liner completely or atleast pull it away from the inside wall of the tyre, and shake/wipe out any grime accumulated there.  Otherwise it might be sitting there, and then that may shake loose to the side, and chafe the tube.

But overall, I don't think I have any doubts at this point re: the effectiveness of tyre liners in preventing punctures.  Also, for the sort/level of riding I do, I feel it's cheaper to have tyre liners that you can use with regular tyres, rather than use tyres with in-built puncture protecting lining etc., which tend to be more expensive.  (Though it's possible that the internal lining is more effective.  Plus you don't have to worry about the above "maintenance" issues around tyre liners, so it's more convenient.)

Tyre liners will add some weight; I think weight is mentioned on the tyre liner packs (atleast the known brands like Zefal, IIRC).

Re: tyre treads/grips -- unless you are doing considerable riding on loose dirt/gravel, I think not having much tread should be ok.  Even on packed dirt tracks, the Maxxis Detonator seems to do well.  (And as the pic in the earlier posted link shows, they have some tread on the side, to give more grip on turns.)

-{db}.

Sherl

Jun 28, 2016, 5:22:20 AM6/28/16
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks DB. Will keep posted. I am also including Schwable Marathon GreenGuard in the option as it would simply offset the cost if tire liners else wise with regular tyres.