Brighton demographic data and mapping

Parmenter, Barbara M

Mar 26, 2015, 5:40:50 PM3/26/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, kay.be...@verizon.net

Hi Kay,

Try Social Explorer (http://socialexplorer.com) for making maps and reports of neighborhoods. You can write me directly and I can send a tip sheet I wrote for community groups, or I may be able to help out myself (I live down the street from the church).  You can use the Census directly to get the data, but it’s a bit more complex.

Policy Map is another good online mapping program for this kind of information – http://policymap.com

Regards, Barbara

Barbara M. Parmenter

Department of Urban and Environmental Policy & Planning
Tufts University

Mar 28, 2015, 2:30:36 PM3/28/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
Policy Map is great, thanks for the link to that. They have great visuals of much of the Census Bureau for both the decennial data and the annual American Community Survey. I also love that they have page showing their data sources, so you can go and get the raw data for yourself if you desire ( http://www.policymap.com/our-data-directory.html )

There are certain tables that seem to be easier to deal with on the census fact-finder site site ( http://factfinder.census.gov/ ). If you type in the zip code (e.g. 02135), lots of great tables on things like number of renters and owners, age groups for renters vs. owners, income, mode of transit to work, etc. There's also lots of useful data in the Guided and Advanced Searches, but I find the "Advanced" interface very difficult to use, and even the "Guided" search took me months to figure out how to use.

-David

On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 5:40:50 PM UTC-4, Parmenter, Barbara M wrote:

Hi Kay,

Try Social Explorer (http://socialexplorer.com) for making maps and reports of neighborhoods. You can write me directly and I can send a tip sheet I wrote for community groups, or I may be able to help out myself (I live down the street from the church).  You can use the Census directly to get the data, but it’s a bit more complex.

Policy Map is another good online mapping program for this kind of information – http://policymap.com

Regards, Barbara

Barbara M. Parmenter

Department of Urban and Environmental Policy & Planning
Tufts University

abhealt...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2015, 4:23:12 PM3/31/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, kay.be...@verizon.net
The Allston Brighton Health Collaborative has an extensive health assessment report detailing population demographics. You can contact me at abhealt...@gmail.com for more information.
Anna Leslie
Coordinator

On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 5:40:50 PM UTC-4, Parmenter, Barbara M wrote:

Hi Kay,

Try Social Explorer (http://socialexplorer.com) for making maps and reports of neighborhoods. You can write me directly and I can send a tip sheet I wrote for community groups, or I may be able to help out myself (I live down the street from the church).  You can use the Census directly to get the data, but it’s a bit more complex.

Policy Map is another good online mapping program for this kind of information – http://policymap.com

Regards, Barbara

Barbara M. Parmenter

Department of Urban and Environmental Policy & Planning
Tufts University

Don Lubin

Apr 5, 2015, 9:16:31 AM4/5/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
We had a solo turkey strolling down Ashford Street yesterday. Did anyone
else see it? I've never seen one in Allston before, but I heard of one
here a few years ago. Quite colorful.

Dave

Apr 5, 2015, 10:34:13 AM4/5/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
You can see lots of them on Lake street in Brighton and in Chestnut Hill.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 5, 2015, at 9:16 AM, Don Lubin <donl...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> We had a solo turkey strolling down Ashford Street yesterday. Did anyone else see it? I've never seen one in Allston before, but I heard of one here a few years ago. Quite colorful.
>
> --

Marina Rodriguez

Apr 6, 2015, 4:09:22 PM4/6/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
Don,

Get used to seeing them, i see them all the time, unfortunately, people leave trash cans open for easy access for many creatures. Landlords on my street rent to young professionals and college students that really don't care about keeping there surroundings clean.