MBTA bus maintenance is #1 in country – in cost (Matt Stout, Boston Herald: March 24, 2017)

7 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Anthony D'Isidoro

ungelesen,
24.03.2017, 18:04:4424.03.17
an allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Hobart Park Neighborhood Assoc.

Report could speed privatization push

The MBTA spends more money on bus maintenance than every other major transit system in the country, according to a Pioneer Institute report that dubs the work ripe for outsourcing and could reinforce the agency’s push to privatize several of its garages.

“We’re No. 1 — and it’s not good to be No. 1,” said Greg Sullivan, the former state inspector general who authored the report using federal transit data.

“The staffing at the maintenance garages, the amount of time taken per job and per bus, is tremendously higher,” he said. “As a former inspector general, one thing I’ve come to learn is putting out bids for services is a great way to save money.”

The report, which will be released today, comes as T officials prepare to release a request for proposals from private companies to take over bus maintenance in at least four of its garages.

The move has drawn swift resistance from unions representing mechanics.

According to the report, in 2015, the T spent more than $44 per hour on bus maintenance for each bus that was running — a standard used by the feds — which amounted to the highest of any of the country’s 25 largest transit agencies and 65 percent more than the average.

Sullivan said the T could save $43.7 million if it cut its bus maintenance expenses to the average of its so-called “peer agencies,” which include systems in Miami, Atlanta, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Washington, D.C.

But Mike Vartabedian, area director for the International Association of Machinists, said it’s unfair to compare the T to the warmer-weather operations, arguing that the other agencies aren’t working with the type of aging equipment and facilities as the T.

“The machinists union has approached the MBTA and told them we would be willing to sit down and see if we can provide a better break for the taxpayers,” Vartabedian said of bargaining talks. “I don’t think it’s in their agenda.”

Officials have said that outsourcing work at four of its nine garages could save $26 million annually, based on unsolicited proposals several companies provided.

“Until you have hard bids from the marketplace, you don’t know what the price is,” said Brian Shortsleeve, the T’s acting general manager, noting officials are still in the process of creating an RFP to release, a move he said doesn’t require board approval. “I would say this report is consistent with … the proposals we received.”

lizbr...@aol.com

ungelesen,
24.03.2017, 19:11:5624.03.17
an allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
I read somewhere that the MBTA spends more on maintenance, but that our busses go twice as far on a service, compared to comparable urban transit systems. It may even work out to a similar cost per mile and our busses are off the road for less time.  Would that be money well spent. Who knows?   We have a growing ridership and an aging fleet which compounds the problem .
It is interesting that developers driving our building boom in Boston assume the people will not have cars and will use mass transit to commute to work, so we better make sure our mass transit is up to the job.

Privatizing our public transit system would be a mistake. Private enterprise is driven by the profit motive. Private bus services cherry pick the most profitable routes and reduce service on others.  More affluent residents can now take Uber or Bridj, which could result in declining ridership on the MBTA  which leads to a further decline in service for folks who absolutely depend on public transit.

Competition brings its own set of issues.  I was stuck in traffic on Faneuil street the other morning at around 8 AM and wondered what the problem was. An MBTA bus was just standing there in the middle of the road near the Garfield School.  What was the problem? A Bridj van was stopped at the bus stop picking up passengers, blocking the MBTA bus from getting to the stop and holding up traffic. Does this happen at very bus stop?

If we are serious about being a world class green city, reducing air pollution and our carbon footprint we need to develop a world class mass transit system.  In Europe, light rail street cars are coming back to urban centers along with extensive cycle track networks. Something to think about while you are waiting for your bus or stuck in traffic on Washington Street.

Sorry for the Friday night rant. Have a great weekend! We live to fight another day.

Liz Breadon

AngelaT

ungelesen,
25.03.2017, 08:57:0725.03.17
an allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Hobart Park Neighborhood Assoc.

Thanks Tony and what a waste!!! Shame on our MBTA! I am glad that the previous person in charge was done and she should be fired for long, long time.

Angela