Boycott Jimmy John¹s on Western Ave. in Allston

Eva Webster

Aug 12, 2015, 1:23:19 AM8/12/15
to Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, AllstonBrighton2006
I was in North Allston the other, attending a meeting in the community center that is a part of the new Charlesview development. That development is nicely done (lots of open space/greenery; well-scaled — overall a pleasant place to live, as far as I can tell).  Kudos to all community people whose work contributed to making it so nice.

On the way out, I noticed a that one of the buildings in that development has a Jimmy John’s sandwich shop on the ground floor.  I thought to myself, “Oh, that’s great – some retail too”.

But today, by coincidence, I learned that the owner of the Jimmy John’s chain chooses to spend his riches (at least some of it) on murdering majestic animals in trophy hunting in Africa.  The link below shows photos of this guy posing with his “trophies” - absolutely revolting.

Fwd: Jimmy John’s Owner Targeted For Trophy Hunting - Fortune

As a result, I’m never ever going to buy anything in that shop, and I do hope that others will join me in that boycott (it may not change a thing, but at least I/we will have done what’s right).  There are many other food-buying options in North Allston that we patronize instead.

If I do put my foot inside that store, it will be only to tell the manager why I’m boycotting that store. (Yes, the low-wage workers who work there need jobs — but they can work elsewhere.  We should not be giving our money to a business whose owner is a despicable human being who gets a psychopathic thrill out of killing innocent creatures – taking their lives just for fun.)

Below is a comment by a NYT reader that tipped me off to that news:

Sharon Knettell

 Rhode Island 10 hours ago
Here is another uber rich person hunting- Jimmy John Liautaud CEO of Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwich Shop. There are calls for boycotts and if there was one near me I would do so.

Better the money be spent on saving these animals and their habitat (Cecil was part of a study) then slaughtering them for misguided macho pride. However that might not happen -  the kind of people who spend these tens of thousands of dollars would buy another trophy - but putting the fender of a Maserati on a wall probably doesn’t have the same cachet.

It seems the efforts of these saviors (for profit) of wildlife haven't helped the decimation of wildlife. Maybe shaming these vestiges of 19th century "manly pursuits' might be one way to save these animals.

Fwd: Big Game Hunting Is Also Big Business for Wealthy Few - The New York Times

monter...@comcast.net

Aug 12, 2015, 7:41:00 AM8/12/15
to Neighborhood, A
Indeed, the new Charlesview development is great.  I mentioned to Jane McHale at a neighbor's fiesta last year.  I have friends who live there.  Besides that the Apartments are well managed, the apartments have electrical appliances which include a dishwasher!!!  Moreover, they have a refrigerator with icecubes maker, a beautiful electrical stove, etc.  The windows are big and rooms are opened and ventilated.   I am very happy for the people Who live there.

Thank you on the information on Jimmy John's.  Animals can not advocate for themselves.  We have to do it for them.  I will pass this Info. to my friends who live around that area.

Hug, Margarita

Aug 12, 2015, 3:12:33 PM8/12/15
to AllstonBrighton2006, Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, AllstonBr...@googlegroups.com
Thoughts on animal hunting aside, I refuse to go to that Jimmy John's as there is a perfectly fine small business 3 blocks away (Big Daddy's) that provides great subs. There is no need for this sub shop to even exist.

David Strati

Aug 12, 2015, 3:41:24 PM8/12/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com
Big Daddy's is much better​ anyway.

Don Walker

Aug 13, 2015, 2:37:03 PM8/13/15
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
I'm actually a resident of Charlesview Residences. And while the refrigerators do not come with icecube makers, each unit does include a washer and dryer. It is a remarkable community. Peabody Properties has a top notch management staff here. The community center is open to all. And I can't speak highly enough for the underground parking during last Winter.

Regarding Jimmy John's, I am sad to learn about the owner's poor choice of a hobby. But I don't think a boycott will amount to much. I do not believe the restaurant sees much business as it is. It serves cold sub sandwiches, bags of chips, drinks and cookies (I believe). There is a McDonald's across the street, a Subway 2 blocks further and a local favorite Big Daddy's 3 blocks in the other direction. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they decided to put their store here.

Considering the owner's abhorrent hobby may cost this store some sorely needed business, it is truly a shame since these retail stores allow Charlesview to bring in additional rental income to fund more programs and low income housing.

Eva Webster

Aug 13, 2015, 4:18:22 PM8/13/15
to AllstonBrighton2006
Thanks for this thoughtful analysis.  But in the end, if Charlesview Residences rely on rental income from the retail element to fund various programs (if that is actually the case), it would be much better to have a restaurant there that sells/serves better food than just “cold sub sandwiches, bags of chips, drinks and cookies”.  I do recall there was a conversation on this group a few years ago in which folks expressed disappointment with this particular establishment (Jimmy John’s) coming into that space.

It would be much better to have a nice neighborhood restaurant that serves “real”, nutritious food, and has the ability to be a popular destination.  Then, the rent might be higher, thus increasing the source of funding for Charlesview’s programs.  When 180 Telford St. project is built and other parcels in that area are developed, this is likely to happen. I believe that neighborhood has the potential to become a great place to live and work (in addition to to what is there already).

By the way, the Globe had an article the other day, saying that finding restaurant workers is getting hard (meaning that Jimmy John’s workers could probably easily find new employment). To me, this is good news because it allows folks who work in that industry to negotiate for better wages and working conditions.  A tighter job market allows restaurant workers in unpopular or poorly run establishments to find work elsewhere, where their needs may be better met (for example, being given predictable schedules — which are necessary for people to have normal lives).