FW: Please vote for saving bees!!

Eva Webster

Jul 27, 2018, 2:43:05 PM7/27/18
to AllstonBrighton2006, Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, Homeowners Union of Allston-Brighton
Just FYI – I sent this message (below) to our state reps.  If this topic resonates with you, consider dropping them a line as well (I don’t know where they stand).

On 7/27/18, 2:17 PM, "Eva Webster" <evawe...@comcast.net> wrote:

Dear Mike & Kevin —

Please vote for the bill restricting the use of neonicotinoids, a class of pesticides that poisons bees (they are already banned in Europe, and a few states in the US). This bill is supposed to be voted on by July 31. See the Globe article below.

In previous years, I had bees in my garden — this year, NONE (I don’t use pesticides, but others in the neighborhood probably do).  It’s not just about our yards appearing completely sterile, devoid of any life — and bees are not the only victims.  Butterflies and other beneficial insects are perishing too, and this makes it difficult for birds that feed on insects to survive as well.

BTW, there are non-toxic pesticide alternatives that people can use (the comment section to this article — you'd need to click on the link below to see it — has some information about it).

Beekeepers rally behind measure to restrict pesticides blamed for devastation to hives - The Boston Globe

Mass. beekeepers rally behind measure to restrict pesticides blamed for devastation to hives

Paige Wulhern with a hive in the South End. She is a beekeeper with Best Bees, which manages urban hives around New England.
GLOBE PHOTO/AMELIA NIERENBERG
Paige Mulhern with a hive in the South End. She is a beekeeper with Best Bees, which manages urban hives around New England.
By Amelia Nierenberg GLOBE CORRESPONDENT

Two years ago, all of the bees in Jeff Murray’s hives died, just like that. When he started keeping bees over 40 years ago, he would only lose 10 percent of his bees in a season. Now, he is lucky if he makes it through the winter with half.

“I’ve seen a hive the size of a beautiful big beach ball go down to one with to a circumference as big as a baseball in no time at all,” said Murray, who often leads information sessions at the Boston Nature Center and is the president of Classroom Hives, which brings observational bees to area schools.

Murray blames the devastation on a type of pesticides called neonicotinoids, which came into widespread use in the early 2000s.

On Thursday morning, he joined other beekeepers and activists at the State House to support a bill that would restrict the use of such pesticides.

The bill has support from 134 co-sponsors and more than 100 scientists from around the Commonwealth. The measure must be put to a vote before the legislative session ends Tuesday night.

“While they’re small creatures, they play a really large role in the environment,” said the bill’s sponsor, state Representative Carolyn Dykema, a Holliston Democrat. “It not only has environmental impacts but also a significant impact on food supply, because a lot of our significant crops here in Massachusetts — cranberries, apples, and corn — rely heavily on pollinators.”

The bill would restrict the use of neonicotinoids, the most common pesticide in the United States, to licensed applicators such as professional landscapers. The applicators would also have to inform consumers of any neonicotinoid use. Connecticut and Maryland have already passed similar legislation. In 2018, the European Union banned the pesticides entirely, citing the destruction to bees.

“When the insect takes a bite of a flower, that insect gets killed because the pesticides are systematic, like they’re in the blood of the plant,” said Dr. Chensheng Lu, an associate professor of Environmental Exposure Biology at Harvard who focuses on pesticides.

Dressed in yellow and black outfits or wearing full beekeeping attire, the beekeepers brought sunflowers, honey, and letters of support during the rally at the state Legislature. The beekeepers wanted to encourage House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo and Representative Jeffrey Sanchez, the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, to put the bill up for a vote.

“I am surprised that this has not gotten through the Legislature faster,” said state Representative Byron Rushing, a Boston Democrat who is a co-sponsor of the bill. “Honey production is as important for the city as community gardens.”

Dykema first proposed the bill in 2016. Since then, she has reintroduced it every session.

“We’re right down to the wire,” said Cliff Youse, a member of the Plymouth County Beekeepers Association.

Sanchez confirmed that the bill is under review by the Ways and Means Committee but he did not specify whether it would come up for a vote.

In 2008, the Natural Resources Defense Council identified “Colony Collapse Disorder” after an alarming number of bees died off abruptly around North America. This was around the same time that neonicotinoids began to flood the pesticide market, Lu said. Since then, bees in North America have been struggling. Murray’s 50-percent hive loss is the norm, rather than the exception.

“It’s only since 2006, when neonicotinoid pesticides were really introduced, that we’ve had very serious problems,” Murray said.

Urban beekeepers around Boston hope the bill is approved because they are often worried what pesticides their bees might bring home from foraging.

“I think if residents had the choice, they’d say no,” said Paige Mulhern, the creative director of The Best Bees Company, after tending to a hive in the backyard of Frenchie, a South End bistro.

In her capacity as a Best Bees beekeeper, Mulhern installs and maintains residential and commercial hives in urban areas, helping private citizens and small restaurants raise their own bees. Best Bees also tracks hive data to use for research and sustainability.

Many of her clients are concerned when their neighbors use pesticides, but there’s little that she can advise them do to protect their bees.

“The honeybee can travel in a three-mile radius, so it’s very hard to control,” she said. “The more we can educate Americans about the harms of neonictonioids, the more we can collectively lessen their use.”

She replaced Frenchie’s hive as a few drops of rain started to fall Thursday afternoon, the sky dark overheard. The bees flying around her mesh-covered face seemed healthy, but there is no telling whether they will make it through the cold New England winter.

Amelia Nierenberg can be reached at amelia.n...@globe.com.
Message has been deleted

Jean Powers

Aug 3, 2018, 10:22:53 AM8/3/18
to AllstonBrighton2006
Thanks for posting this article Eva! I wanted to add a few things, and I'm numbering them because it's easier to organize my thoughts that way:

1. Honeybees are important for crop pollination, and they are a good indicator of the general health of our ecosystem. BUT they are not native to our area. They're livestock -- people keep them in order to pollinate crops and harvest honey.
2. Native bees are far more important to our local ecosystem. There are more than 200 species of native bees in New England: http://www.nativebeesofnewengland.com/bee-diversity.html
3. Some of our native bees don't even look like bees! They may look like tiny black or green flies, for example (see photo).
4. Native bees have different habits than honeybees, so they need different things from us.
5. Most native bees don't live in a hive. They live in piles of leaves, holes in trees, hollow stems, or holes in the ground.
6. So the biggest threat to native bee populations is habitat loss. When we make our yards perfectly clean and full of grass, we are taking away all the places native bees can live.
7. The other threat native bees face is food shortages -- their favorite foods are native plants.
8. But the good news is -- cities are great places for bees, and they are thriving here in comparison to the suburbs! Because people in cities use fewer pesticides, and because we don't have big, sterile lawns, so there's actually MORE biodiversity in cities than in the suburbs (where lawns or crops create monoculture, and nothing for bees to eat).

So the best things you can do for bees (and other pollinators) are:

1. Plant native stuff that pollinators like (list below)
2. Fall/winter: Leave as many dead plants standing as possible; cut the rest back to 12-18" to provide places for pollinators to overwinter
3. Fall/winter: Keep a pile of leaves and stems and dead stuff so pollinators can overwinter and so you don't inadvertently dispose of chrysalises and egg cases
4. Spring/summer/Fall: maintain areas of mud and standing water for butterflies to drink. Put out shallow dishes of water for bees to drink
5. Encourage native plantings and discourage pesticide use in your area by talking with neighbors and the city and advocating in public meetings. (see talking points here: https://www.beyondpesticides.org/assets/media/documents/documents/MovementFactsheet.pdf)

Here's a top five list from bee expert Pam Phillips:

1. Plant flowers. Replace horticultural, cultivars, doubles with native, species, single flowers. The bees need the flowers they co-evolved with.
2. Don't use chemicals. Fertilizers and pesticides kill soil dwelling organisms and insec
ts. Build your soil with compost and cover crops. The flowers will attract predatory insects to handle pests.
3. Avoid disturbing the soil. 2/3 of our native bees make their nests in the soil. They often prefer bare, sunny slopes. So you don't have to be too eager to mulch everything.
4. Leave standing stems and fallen leaves in the fall. Many native bees use the stems. Many predatory insects over winter in the leaves. You want them ready to get a jump on prey insects in the spring.
5. Beyond the garden, you can support pollinators with your food choices. Organic, farmers market, home grown are the obvious. Not so obvious is avoiding processed foods and GMO crops: GMO corn and soy are grown with neonicotinoids, which are deadly to all insects.

Here's a list of some natives to begin with (but there are many more! A good guide is here: http://pollinator.org/guides):
- common milkweed
- Agastache (giant hyssop)
- pin cherry, choke cherry
- Joe Pye weed
- Monarda,
- goldenrod
- Echinacea
- flat-topped aster
- Jerusalem artichoke/sunchoke

Here's some more tips and advice from native plant experts and enthusiasts:

Erin Scott

Aug 3, 2018, 10:42:49 AM8/3/18
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this information all!  There was just a great show on WBUR called Why We Need Bees that goes along with the already posted information that you might enjoy. http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2018/08/01/bees-buzz-thor-hanson

Jean Powers

Aug 3, 2018, 11:43:29 AM8/3/18
to AllstonBrighton2006
Cool, thank you!!

Christopher J. Arena

Aug 3, 2018, 5:28:21 PM8/3/18
to AllstonBrighton2006
Despite absolutely hating bees - they freak me out - I couldn't agree more with you, Eva. Saving the bees is an enormously important fight for our ecosystem. It's kind of crazy just how much impact bees have on our food system.