The benefit of losing the Beacon Yards rail yard

Eva Webster

Apr 18, 2014, 2:58:36 AM4/18/14
to AllstonBrighton2006, Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com
I was cleaning up my desk (not that it can ever be successfully completed), when I found a Dec. 5, 2013 Boston Bulletin article, which stated something remarkable, that made me save it in the first place.

The article points out to an obvious, but important, extremely positive, and historic change in Allston-Brighton’s quality of life that has been brought about by the rail company CSX vacating the enormous historic Beacon Yards rail yard in North Brighton/Allston, and moving its operations permanently to Westborough.

As everyone knows, those rail yards were all about processing large amounts of materials and goods that were arriving by rail in big shipping containers from all over the world -- and then the containers would need to be transferred from rail cars onto huge trucks, to be distributed throughout Eastern Mass and beyond.  After that, empty containers would need to be hauled back to the rail yard to repeat the cycle.

So the disappearance of Beacon Yards (well, just the CSX operations for now, because it will take years to develop the vacated land) means that Allston-Brighton is now being spared traffic from huge 18-wheelers that used to haul shipping containers, full or empty, through our streets.  As folks are now pondering the pros and con of the Mass. Pike realignment project, let’s keep in mind what a boon it is to the neighborhood not to have those monstrous, noisy 18-wheelers rolling through Allston-Brighton.

I appreciate when people are asking difficult question — such as, how come that Massachusetts taxpayers will be footing the enormous bill for the cost of realigning the Pike, when it’s Harvard University that primarily will benefit from it (a valid point that someone made recently).  But on the other hand, it was probably Harvard too that had lobbied behind the scenes to make CSX leave for Westborough. Perhaps without Harvard it would not have happened (I would like to know more on how the whole thing came about, but I suspect that Harvard is tight-lipped about it).

One can also make an argument (maybe controversial for some people) that it will be better for Allston-Brighton when Harvard’s development replaces Beacon Yards.  The neighborhood is definitely changing in front of our eyes. In terms of historic significance to the neighborhood, I think this rivals the 1967 demolition of the Brighton Stockyards.

I have attached the Boston Bulletin article to this message, if someone wants to read it (it’s short.)
The end of an era - it's the rail thing.pdf

Wetterstrom, Wilma

Apr 20, 2014, 6:02:29 PM4/20/14
to <cleveland-circle-community@googlegroups.com>, AllstonBrighton2006
Gardening 101, Preparing for Spring
7-8 pm, Presentation School Foundation Community Center

Join Koletta Kaspar for a discussion focusing on spring gardening.
You will get gardening tips from a fantastic professional gardener.
If possible, bring a shovel for a 10-min hands-on demonstration.
And come prepared for a good time and laughter.
Light refreshments will be served.
(Note: This event was originally scheduled for April 2, but had to be
rescheduled.)

The event is hosted by the PSF Community Center and co-sponsored by
the Brighton Garden Club.
The PSF Community Center is located at 640 Washington St in Oak Sq.
The parking lot is accessed from Tremont St.
The PSF center can also be reached by the 64 and the 57 buses.