JMCC matter

Eva Webster

Sep 24, 2016, 7:30:12 AM9/24/16
to Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
I feel obligated to share additional information regarding the situation at Jackson Mann Community Center (JMCC) — and also, for the sake of fairness, I’d like to clarify a certain matter concerning Councilor Ciommo.

Yesterday, I was contacted by someone who has more direct knowledgeable of the whole issue than either Tony or I. The person didn’t want to discuss things publicly on the google groups, but wanted to make sure that everyone better understands the circumstances that factor into the current situation.

JMCC and all other 30+ city-run community centers in Boston are under the control of BCYF (Boston Centers for Youth and Families).  BCYF is a division within the Health and Human Services Department — the latter headed by Chief Felix G. Arroyo (ex-councilor and former mayoral candidate), who reports directly to the Mayor.

The recently issued directive reducing the hours of operation at JMCC, as well as other community centers, by 8 hours each day (approx. 50% reduction) was issued by the BCYF Commissioner William Morales, who was appointed by the Mayor back in February.  That decision had to be made with the knowledge and support of Chief Arroyo — but it was made without any public process or conversations with BCYF staff or affected stakeholders in the community.

After hearing that no public process/conversation has taken place, and that the decision came as a surprise to all stakeholders, it occurred to me that it is entirely possible that city councilors, including Councilor Ciommo, did not know about that directive before BCYF announced it.

Additionally, there is no indication at this point that the reduction in hours is going to lead to any BCYF staff layoffs — therefore I think it was premature for me to assume that the decision was driven by the city’s desire to cut costs.  It may, or may not be the reason why the hours are being cut — but at this point we simply don’t know.  Still, it is very strange that the BCYF would want the community centers to become effectively just “part-time” operations.

Even if saving (or re-allocating) money is the underlying reason (or one of the reasons) why the community centers’ hours are being cut so drastically, this action would be a part of budgeting that Chief Arroyo’s staff does within his department — and it would not necessarily be known to Councilor Ciommo as Chairman of the City Council’s Ways and Means Committee (as I suggested in my email).

Neither Councilor Ciommo, nor anyone from his office, nor the person who contacted me yesterday, asked that I post this clarification.  I figured I needed to do it after I analyzed the issue in my head and concluded that Councilor Ciommo may have had no knowledge of Commissioner Morales’ and Chief Arroyo’s plans (although I believe the Mayor was probably informed).

Either way, the issue that remains is the lack of information, the absence of an appropriate public process in BCYF’s decision-making, and needless and excessive reduction in JMCC’s services.

On 9/23/16, 6:08 AM, "Eva Webster" <cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com on behalf of evawe...@comcast.net> wrote:

Tony, thank you for posting this — I’m referring to your message below about damaging cuts to programs and services that are about to happen (starting  Oct. 1st) at the Jackson Mann Community Center (JMCC).

Why is the city doing this?  Cutting pre-school and after-school programs???  It’s mind-boggling. This is going to be devastating to working parents whose children are using those programs. As if life wasn’t hard enough for families around here. When you think that things cannot get worse, they do.  Maybe City Hall should officially declare A-B as a neighborhood where families are simply not welcome.

Money from all over the world is pouring into Boston — the city is going through an unprecedented building boom. No one in City Hall can complain that the economy is faltering, because it is not.  Our neighborhood is undergoing rapid densification — and yet some folks in City Hall think that cutting essential services to residents is a good idea. It makes no sense.

Does anyone know if the city budget, with detailed categories listed, is available on line?  It would be interesting to see how expenditures change from year to year.  When services to children and families get cut, which other categories benefit?

Councilor Mark Ciommo, who represents A-B on Boston City Council, is the Chair of the Council’s Ways and Means Committee.  As such, he knows very well why programs/services in Allston-Brighton’s only Community Center are about to be cut.  It would be nice if for once the Councilor could issue a statement explaining to his constituents what is going on and why.

The neighborhood is changing.  What do we want it to be? A neighborhood without families and services that support them is just a large student/worker dormitory. A-B residents need to start seriously organizing themselves — or that is what Allston-Brighton will become — a dormitory (that, and a landlords’ playground).

As Tony requested in his message — everyone please contact City Hall to express objection to cuts in programming at the JMCC.  If you are short on time, skip the Councilors at Large, and call or email just these three individuals:

On 9/22/16, 11:02 PM, "Anthony D'Isidoro" <cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com on behalf of Anthony...@msn.com> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to forward to you a letter from Janice Hamilton, President, Jackson Mann Community School & Council, Inc.

I urge you to call and/or write your elected officials and the Allston Brighton District Liaison ASAP and express your outrage at this proposed dramatic change in operations at the BCYF/Jackson Mann Community Center.

The change is set to go into effect on October 1st

Please feel free to forward this appeal to other interested individuals and organizations. .

Tony D'Isidoro

Marty Walsh (ma...@cityofboston.gov);  (617) 635-4500

Mark Ciommo (mark....@cityofboston.gov);  (617) 635-3113

Annissa Essaibi George (a.e.g...@boston.gov)(617) 635-4376

Ayanna Pressley (ayanna....@cityofboston.gov);  (617) 635-4217

Michael Flaherty (michael.f...@boston.gov);  (617) 635-4205

Michelle Wu (miche...@boston.gov);  (617) 635-3115

Warren O’Reilly (warren....@boston.gov)(617) 635-2678

The following changes have been proposed by Boston Centers for Youth and Families that will directly impact the service and programming provided to the Allston/Brighton Community.  As of October 1st, BCYF plans to change the hours of operation of the BCYF/Jackson Mann Community Center from 7 am to 10 pm to 2 pm to 9 pm.  (This is a citywide change and will effect centers throughout the City of Boston)  BCYF states that this is an enhancement and a way to provide more direct service to the communities in the City of Boston ... Seeing that JMCC will be losing 8 hours per day of direct service to A/B community we cannot agree with their decision.  As the only community center in the A/B community, the second most densely populated in the COB this is unacceptable!  (Dorchester is most densely populated, has 5 centers, Roxbury has 5 centers, East Boston has 3 centers, etc).  We the council of Jackson Mann Community Center, a community center that was founded 40 years ago by the residents of Allston and Brighton find this unacceptable!  We are asking all friends, neighbors and residents of Allston and Brighton to contact the Mayors office, 617-635-4500 and our city Councilor Mark Ciommo at 617-635-3113 to deny this change in the hours of operation.

 The following programs will be grossly effected:

Preschool, serving families with children age 2.9 to 5 years old .. current hours of operation are from 7 am to 6 pm ..  Monday through Friday

Before-school, serving families with children age 5 to 12 years old .. current hours of operation are from 7 am to 9:20 am … Monday through Friday

School age programming.. serving families with children age 5 to 12 years old .. this program includes the after-school program and the Vacation Weeks and Summer program that runs from 8 am to 6 pm … Monday through Friday  ..

Adult Education Program .. this program includes English as a Second Language and GED programs for adults aged 18 and up .. program runs Mon – Thurs 9 am to 9 pm

Recreation Programs.. Run from 2 pm to 10 pm .. Monday through Friday and include Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, Karate

OUR PROGRAMS RUN 52 WEEKS OF THE YEAR AND OUR HOURS OF OPERATION WERE CREATED TO SERVE THE WORKING FAMILIES IN OUR COMMUNITY.

For the past 40 years there has been a terrific partnership between the Jackson Mann Community School & Council, Inc and The City of Boston (Boston Centers for Youth and Families) .. and BPS .. this has been a partnership that has worked in the deliverance of quality, licensed programming to the people of our community.  For the past 40 years, JMCC has been delivering quality services and evolved throughout those years to meet the needs of the people.... Many of the people fall within the low to no income bracket and depend upon this community center to provide service.

Jackson Mann Community Center fields constituent calls from 7 am till 10 pm ... 52 weeks of the year.  We work with residents of the community who walk through our doors and provide service and/or information regarding childcare, immigrant services, housing, education, neighborhood concerns and more .. 52 weeks of the year

I know for certain that the residents of Allston and Brighton will not accept this decision ... We worked hard to build this community center, we work hard to maintain it and to provide the best service to the people of our neighborhood.  We cannot compromise the service to our people and allow our community center to have the hours of operation diminished.

Please call City Hall today!  617-635-4500

Sincerely,

Janice Hamilton,

President

Jackson Mann Community School & Council, Inc.

monter...@comcast.net

Sep 24, 2016, 8:04:21 AM9/24/16
to Neighborhood, A, Rendon, Martha, Stratter, Beatriz, Visoni, Angela, Gonzalez, Angela, Mayram Antillon, Rodriguez, Irma, Mejia, Bertha, Calderon, Violeta, Zegarra, Hermelinda, Duarte, Jacqueline, Freza, Felix, Gerber, Felix, Gonzalez, Juan, Lubin, Don, Lysetskiy, Mykola, Maciel, Celia, Markman, Dmitry, O'Hara, Nancy, Ostapenko, Marina, Puntus, Alla, Stadnik, Ekaterina
Thank you Tony and Eva -  I am speechless!

Our politicians are reading this e-mails, so I hope they will explain this situation sooner than later.

Margarita