Brighton High in State Division 2 Championship Game

Anthony D'Isidoro

Mar 17, 2017, 9:14:33 PM3/17/17
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Hobart Park Neighborhood Assoc.

2017 MIAA Boys Basketball - State Division 2 Championship Game

Brighton High School - Nashoba Regional High School

Saturday, March 18, 2017 @ 1:15 pm

MassMutual Center

1277 Main Street

Springfield, MA 01103

Brighton boys basketball barrels past Whitman-Hanson in Division 2 state semifinal round (Greg Dudek, Boston Herald: March 14, 2017)

Over the past few years, Brighton coach Hugh Coleman has been waiting for his team to reach its potential.

Well, Coleman may have seen the Bengals reach it, at least offensively, at the Garden last night in the Division 2 state semifinal against Whitman-Hanson.

Brighton turned in a dominant performance in its 94-48 win, a victory that included a 29-point first quarter. Next up is a meeting with Nashoba in the state championship game.

The Bengals (22-5) scored the most points by an Eastern Mass. team in a state semi since Charlestown put up the same number 16 years ago.

“It’s just a testament of the work ethic,” Coleman said. “Guys have put in work. Early mornings and late nights. Today was just kind of a day. We came off of a game before where we didn’t shoot so well, and today things just fell.”

Brighton’s offense was in high gear from the get-go. An early 10-1 run punctuated by a 3-pointer from Tyrone Perry (11 points) and a jumper from Jerrod Clark created separation en route to a 29-14 lead after eight minutes.

“The confidence got going,” Coleman said. “You could see it in their eyes.”

The advantage grew to 45-26 by halftime, and Brighton delivered the knockout blow soon after.

Jordan Galloway hit three 3-pointers and scored 13 of his 17 points in the third, and the Bengals outscored the Panthers (19-4) by a 31-9 margin in the quarter.

“It’s my last year. I’ve got to put everything on the line,” Galloway said. “At halftime, I told my guys, ‘We want to take their hearts in the third quarter,’ and that’s what we did.”

All 13 players on the Brighton roster scored, and the Bengals drained 14 treys.

AngelaT

Mar 18, 2017, 9:09:55 AM3/18/17
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, Hobart Park Neighborhood Assoc.

Congratulations to the Brighton High basketball team and coach Hugh Coleman J.  We are very proud of you.

Angela