Newton proposes to open up 7 areas to multifamily mixed-use development

Eva Webster

Jun 23, 2016, 4:44:19 PM6/23/16
to AllstonBrighton2006, Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com

The only reason I’m posting this news from Newton here is because I want people to see the difference between what Newton considers acceptable in multifamily housing, and what supporters of 89 Brighton Ave. in Allston-Brighton (you know who you are) considered acceptable.  (Fingers crosses that the project will come back significantly redesigned.)

The pictures below speak for themselves.

The first drawing shows an approved project in Newton at 28 Austin St., which has 68 units (majority of units are 2 BR, and there are NO studios), in a 4-story, bright, nicely designed structure — with balconies, terraces, and fenestration that does not make the units look like fishbowls or office space, plus the top floor is significantly recessed to lessen impacts — so the building really feels like 3 stories — and the development has all the parking that was needed.

The second picture (below), on the other hand, shows the “beauty” that was proposed for the corner of Brighton Ave. and Linden St. in Allston (and that is only about half of that building, with the rest extending toward Gardner St., not seen here). It was to have 130 (!) units, with lots of studios (like a hotel) and grossly inadequate parking (which makes long-term occupancy much less likely) — and overall the charm and character of a boring office complex. (To think of it, the 5 Washington St. proposal in Brighton, currently in limbo, was exactly in the same vain.)

I do not believe that the people who supported 89 Brighton Ave. (just as those who supported the even uglier “Continuum” in Barry’s Corner — see the two photos below) really meant to hurt Allston-Brighton — but effectively they do, because of their inability to recognize ugliness when it’s still on paper, and to advocate for beauty.

What’s most concerning is that the architectural firms that design such soulless and depressing buildings (Elkus/Manfredi, being one of the worst offenders) are allowed to foul-up Boston.  It’s really a shame.  Boston has a reputation of being a beautiful city, but we are ruining it by and making the newly developed areas look like any other run-of-the-mill cities that lack character, elegance, or local flavor.

Vasiliades, Charlie (OCD)

Jun 23, 2016, 11:38:40 PM6/23/16
to AllstonBrighton2006, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com

​Eva-

    In terms of design, height, and scale, I have to agree with you 100% on this posting-  and to me at least, a good Brighton example (showing what's possible when people actually RESPECT the zoning code) that is similar to the Newton project is the apartment building on the old Carpenter's Union site on Market St. near Brighton Center.  3 full stories with a recessed 4th floor, that does not overpower the neighborhood despite its size.

   In my opinion these are examples of added density that do NOT overpower the existing fabric of a neighborhood-  whether in Newton or Brighton.