Where can we get help with the abandon cars (out of state cars)?

AngelaT

Aug 17, 2016, 1:52:01 PM8/17/16
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, Warren....@boston.gov, ma...@boston.gov, Kevin...@mahouse.gov, willbrow...@gmail.com, mark....@cityofboston.gov, rep.mich...@hou.state.ma.us

Dear all,

Usually we have about 6 out of state cars park on our street on the daily basis. There are two Maryland cars have been there over a week so I called just about 10 minutes ago. The 311 (617-635-4500) staff told me that these two cars are on the record and still open cases: one was reported last Friday and one was reported this morning. I asked why the cars still here? She said that it needs about a month to remove/resolve it. I could not believe it: about a month? Yes, about three weeks or four weeks. Sigh!!!! No wonder all the cars (in/out state cars) are parked there on our street.

I also follow the advice of the Brighton police representative when we met at the CDC meeting: please call the Brighton police community office to report the abandon cars: I called three days ago, no one picked up the phone and I left the message. No one called me back. Just call yesterday and today, still no one pick up the calls.

We do need helps and we run out of options.

Thanks!

Angela

Joseph Marinelli

Aug 17, 2016, 2:53:19 PM8/17/16
to AllstonBrighton2006, Warren....@boston.gov, ma...@boston.gov, Kevin...@mahouse.gov, willbrow...@gmail.com, mark....@cityofboston.gov, rep.mich...@hou.state.ma.us, Ang...@travelcoll.com
I have no idea who to call but you must live on my street, nearby to an apartment complex that charges residents for parking spots.......so they all park on my street since it doesn't require a residential sticker. On any given day about 20-30% of the cars are from out of state.

I am curious to know what the laws are regarding this. If they've been here for more than 30 days they should be registered to MA, yes?

Cheers,

Joe

Michael DeMarco

Aug 17, 2016, 8:16:20 PM8/17/16
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, Warren....@boston.gov, ma...@boston.gov, Kevin...@mahouse.gov, willbrow...@gmail.com, mark....@cityofboston.gov, rep.mich...@hou.state.ma.us, Ang...@travelcoll.com
Joe, you have touched upon a huge problem for us street parkers.

Phantom garaging or illegal cars as I call them. People bring cars from out of the state/city and never legally register/insure them so they pay way less insurance and/or no excise tax. There are cars with out of state plates that have been here for months and years.

It is blatant fraud and nobody seems to care or will even talk about it! I have emailed BTD numerous times and no response. I am not anti-car, but if you bring one here we should all be playing by the same rules. License plate scanners are already in use so this doesn't seem like a very hard problem to solve.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

Anthony D'Isidoro

Aug 18, 2016, 8:41:59 AM8/18/16
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, Warren....@boston.gov, ma...@boston.gov, Kevin...@mahouse.gov, willbrow...@gmail.com, mark....@cityofboston.gov, rep.mich...@hou.state.ma.us, Ang...@travelcoll.com

Mike,

The conversation has highlighted two problems that I have been talking about for years.

A comprehensive resident parking program that has adequate two hour visitor parking spots rather than this piecemeal approach of one street at a time will solve the problem of out of state plates.  Because of the requirements to receive a resident parking sticker, you notice that all the out of state plates are on public streets and not on resident parking streets.  The City is being denied excise taxes from these full time residents.

The other issue can be highlighted by the following example.  A developer goes before the BRA Board and/or Zoning Board of Appeals and informs them I am building 20 units and I will provide 20 on site parking spaces.  Everybody is happy and the project goes through.  What the developer didn't disclose nor were they asked is that they plan to charge extra for the parking.  As was noted previously, in many cases the tenant refuses to pay extra and dumps their car on our streets.  It is disingenuous of the developer in the spirit of the approval that was granted not to do everything they can do to ensure that if their tenant has a car, they use the on site parking spot.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a resident parking system that could by address deny stickers to people who live in complexes that have adequate off street parking.  It would force the issue with the owners to be more flexible.  It could only work if we had a comprehensive program that I mentioned in my first point.

Tony D'Isidoro

Aug 18, 2016, 9:40:26 AM8/18/16
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, Warren....@boston.gov, ma...@boston.gov, Kevin...@mahouse.gov, willbrow...@gmail.com, mark....@cityofboston.gov, rep.mich...@hou.state.ma.us

Thanks Tony. That is exactly what the 425 Washington Street developer does: charge extra for the parking. So there will be at least more 60 cars park on our street and around Brighton Center; it will also be nightmare on the traffic hours around Brighton center. Thanks BAIA and Mr. Mark Ciommo supporting this project and BRA approve it.

None of our representatives really care about us. Sigh!!! Maybe they only need us in the election day to vote for them: around that period,

they will promise after promise. As one of my dear neighbors said:

A politician's mantra: Promise them the world, and give them nothing!

Sigh!!!

Angela

Mike DeMarco

Aug 18, 2016, 9:28:19 PM8/18/16
to AllstonBrighton2006
Tony,

You are right, the current street parking situation can definitely improve and there are a wide variety of different ideas on how to accomplish that goal.

My thoughts are it needs to start with enforcement of the current illegal phantom garaging problem and confirmation every six months of resident parking status as Cambridge recently started. Regardless of where people stand on the street parking debate, I hope this thread will encourage people to reach out and say that what is currently going on in guest parking is not acceptable.

I have to respectfully disagree with two hour guest parking on residential streets. A lot of guests are here for a night or two or might be working on someone's property.

There is no "free parking" or "free lunch" for new developments and this would lead to non car owners subsidizing parking for car owners. If "Jimmy" does not need a parking spot why should his rent be the same as "Mark" who does?!

From what I have seen with street parking over the last nine years is generally speaking (always some exceptions), it is the older 1920s era buildings like the one I live in that are responsible for spilling cars out on the streets. 100 units, something like 8 parking spots. Almost all the new rental buildings are built with parking ratios that exceed current car ownership. Is the Green District spilling cars out on the streets? Which new developments in A/B are? Curious, what are other street parkers seeing?

Mike

Matthew Danish

Aug 19, 2016, 6:24:55 PM8/19/16
to AllstonBrighton2006
Just to follow-on to what Mike wrote, a journal article about bundling parking with apartments was recently published: forcing people to pay for parking that they don't need is a big burden on households without a car.

"Hidden Costs and Deadweight Losses: Bundled Parking and Residential Rents in the Metropolitan United States"

The financial burden works out to an average of $621 annually per household, or a 13 percent rent premium, and it is concentrated among households that can least afford it. "Minimum parking standards create a major equity problem for carless households. 71 percent of renters without a car live in housing with at least one parking space included in their rent."

A large proportion of Allston/Brighton residents do not own a car and it is not fair to stick them with the parking bill. Car owners need to take some responsibility for their personal property.

Matt

Will Brownsberger

Aug 20, 2016, 6:58:56 AM8/20/16
to AngelaT, allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, Warren....@boston.gov, ma...@boston.gov, Kevin...@mahouse.gov, mark....@cityofboston.gov, rep.mich...@hou.state.ma.us
HI Folks,

Just to chime in on this conversation:

I wouldn't frame the issue as out-of-state vs. in-state.  People do have to register their cars here if they are staying here long enough, but that can take a while.  It depends on whether they intend to remain and for how long.  Domicile is an intrinsically murky legal issue that doesn't lend itself to clear rules -- remember all the debate about where Mitt Romney really lived.  But that is not what causes a problem in the neighborhoods.

The problem is not that they are out-of-state.  The problem is that they are likely non-residents.  Some of the Mass plates that you see may also be non-residents.  The out-of-state plates just stand out.

This all about the question of residential parking rules -- it's a big city policy issue and I don't know whether or how the policy should change, but it is a conversation with City Hall.  It's a perennial conversation every place I have ever lived or worked.

/w.

Will Brownsberger
Cell: 617-771-8274

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 9:40 AM, AngelaT <Ang...@travelcoll.com> wrote:

Thanks Tony. That is exactly what the 425 Washington Street developer does: charge extra for the parking. So there will be at least more 60 cars park on our street and around Brighton Center; it will also be nightmare on the traffic hours around Brighton center. Thanks BAIA and Mr. Mark Ciommo supporting this project and BRA approve it.

None of our representatives really care about us. Sigh!!! Maybe they only need us in the election day to vote for them: around that period,

they will promise after promise. As one of my dear neighbors said:

A politician's mantra: Promise them the world, and give them nothing!

Sigh!!!

Angela

Michael DeMarco

Aug 20, 2016, 8:45:13 AM8/20/16
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, AngelaT, Warren....@boston.gov, ma...@boston.gov, Kevin...@mahouse.gov, mark....@cityofboston.gov, rep.mich...@hou.state.ma.us
Senator Brownsberger,

Thank you for your response. I have to respectfully disagree; this is not all about residential parking rules but it is about enforcing state law that 30 days after moving here it is time to register one's car here legally. Yes some people might have murky circumstances, but what I have heard the majority of the time firsthand is people are residents and they intentionally keep the car registered outside of the city or state.

When I swapped out NJ registration/plates for MA it was a simple and straightforward process.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone
To post to this group, send email to AllstonBr...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "AllstonBrighton2006" group.

Dave

Aug 20, 2016, 8:52:59 AM8/20/16
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, AngelaT, Warren....@boston.gov, ma...@boston.gov, Kevin...@mahouse.gov, mark....@cityofboston.gov, rep.mich...@hou.state.ma.us
What Mr Brownsberger is saying is a typical politicians response. Of course there are very specific laws about out of state plates. They just do nothing to enforce them. No one should be surprised. Will this get them any votes?

Sent from my iPhone

Marina Rodriguez

Aug 20, 2016, 9:21:46 AM8/20/16
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, Anthony D'Isidoro, Warren....@boston.gov, ma...@boston.gov, Kevin...@mahouse.gov, willbrow...@gmail.com, mark....@cityofboston.gov, rep.mich...@hou.state.ma.us, Ang...@travelcoll.com
Why are you letting these "developers" come into our city and take over to begin with! I blame no one but the local politicians for letting them come into our city!
And why aren't the local politicians not involved in this?

Harry Mattison

Aug 20, 2016, 10:13:28 AM8/20/16
to AllstonBrighton2006, William Brownsberger (SEN)
Senator Brownsberger,

MassDOT estimated that $50 million is lost every year because of people failing to comply with the State Law requiring residents to register there cars here.

The Registry of Motor Vehicles I-Pay-Tax program is used to report Massachusetts residents evading taxes by improperly registering a vehicle in another state. But it requires a paper form to be submitted by mail or fax. You can call 1-800-IPAY-TAX and leave your name and address and they will mail you a paper form for you to fill out and mail back. Not a great system for the 21st century.

The City of Haverhill has had success addressing this with a more proactive approach. Like with many things, "where there is a will, there is a way".

If there was a desire to collect some of that approximately $50 million a year, using online tools like http://commonwealthconnect.io/ and http://www.cityofboston.gov/311/, passing legislation at the State and/or City level, etc. it just might make a difference.

Regards
Harry

http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/ipaytax/
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/03/nyregion/living-here-but-registered-there-new-yorkers-dodge-high-fees-with-state-license.html
http://www.eagletribune.com/news/haverhill/haverhill-targets-cars-with-out-of-state-plates/article_6159e263-1c6e-50c1-a2db-649a411d8d44.html

Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:16 PM
To: allstonbrighton2006@googlegroups.com

Brownsberger, William (SEN)

Aug 20, 2016, 12:50:40 PM8/20/16
to Harry Mattison, AllstonBrighton2006
Hi Mike and Harry,

I am open to legislation on out-of-state vehicle registration.

If you want to help out and do some research and work, I'm happy to get a bill moving.  But it's not a small issue -- it's state wide and people have taken more than one run at it.  in the real world, it's hard to stop.

But if people want to sit down and work on a bill with me, I'm happy to try to help.

Let me know if this is something you want to put some time into.  Please write directly to william.br...@masenate.gov so that I am sure to see it and we can put a meeting together.

William N. Brownsberger
State Senator
Second Suffolk and Middlesex District