Will Boston be able to retain millennials?

Eva Webster

Jan 7, 2018, 8:47:10 AM1/7/18
to AllstonBrighton2006, Cleveland-Cir...@googlegroups.com, Homeowners Union of Allston-Brighton
Opening paragraph of the article referenced below:

"Cities and close-in suburbs looking to the future see a troubling trend: The millennials who rejuvenated their downtowns over the past decade are growing older and beginning to leave.

The oldest are hitting their mid-30s, with many starting to couple up and have children. Meanwhile, the sleek high-rise apartment buildings built for them as single young professionals are no longer practical or affordable as they seek to buy homes with more space and ­privacy.”

Fwd: Cities turn to ‘missing middle’ housing to keep older millennials from leaving - The Washington Post

I received this article from an HUAB member who thought I’d be interested in it (thank you, W.).  It has occurred to me that I should probably forward it to the BPDA.

Shouldn’t the city planners be planning for the inevitability that maturing millennials will need family-friendly housing?  But nothing of that sort is getting built in Boston.  Instead, the vast majority of new construction resembles this: